#3: April 2022

Help Choose between 2 girl names 28 votes

Winter (nn: Winnie)
32% 9 votes
Ruby
67% 19 votes

Re: Help Choose between 2 girl names

• Love love love Ruby!
  • I like the nickname Winnie but not as a nn for Winter. 
    I love Ruby. I’d like Winnie as nn for Winifred or Gwendolyn 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmm not a fan of winifred or Gwendolyn. 
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married: October 2011
    DS: January 2016
    DS: May 2019
  • Winter is aweful IMO.  

If you are planning on calling your kid Winnie then Edwina, Winona, or Winnifred, Gwendolyn, Guinevere, Gwyneth, and are much more professional sounding than Winter (yes, your kid will be an adult, eventually and they are adults much longer than kids)  
  • @harpseal135 awful
  • I’m glad we’re all in agreement…
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @meggyme can’t take anyone seriously who can’t even spell awful or would consider naming a child Edwina or Winnifred 
  • @winterviolethope I think you’d be surprised what kind of whacky spellings and names we see here on the regular. And everyone makes typos.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Typos may happen but if someone is going to be a jerk about a name that’s a real name, then they’ll get called out 
  • harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited September 2021
    @winterviolethope

Yes, I made an error and my autocorrect has been making errors on my phone.  I am human just like you. 

You asked a NN for Winnie and I gave you names that utilize the NN Winnie.

I gave MORE THAN just the two you think are awful and you got all pi##y about....   

They ALL are WAY more professional sounding in the professional world than Winter.  That is the STANCE I take with ALL names.

I would be more apt to Google Lawyers, Accountant, Doctor, etc in my area and click in the name Guinevere Jones than Winter Jones.  

The names that come across these boards are misspelled, "trying to be cool." Just as @meggyme said. 

• @harpseal135 we can agree to disagree. Winter is not a made up name with a “kewl” spelling so I don’t see why it can’t be professional. 
  • harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited September 2021
    @winterviolethope

Yes, agree to disagree and I won't go into detail anymore of my thoughts on Winter.  You do what you want. 

You asked and obviously you don't like other opinions.  So don't ask on a public forum.  

Bye!
  • @harpseal135 there’s a big difference between saying “I’m not a fan” or “I worry it won’t be professional” and “it’s awful.” Show a little more decorum. You shouldn’t let your manners go out the window because “it’s a public forum”.

• Winter is not my style at all but I don’t associate it with made up names and misspelled “cute” names. I think it just feels too trendy and more masculine to me, besides the fact that it’s my least favorite season so it gives me bad vibes. I like the nickname Winnie but I can see how the other full names like Winifred could be unappealing. 

I love Ruby and I think it’s a clear winner with popular opinion. But ask yourself if you feel very defensive about Winter and wanted it to win this poll, maybe it’s the name you truly want? 
  • @mb0112 thanks! It’s definitely something to think about -appreciate the constructive feedback :)
  • Winter is sweet, but I can see it more as a middle name. Ruby Winter. Love. Side note: I have a friend who just named her baby Winifred and she's adorable. Calls her Winn. 
  • carcomelcarcomel member
    edited October 2021
    I like both and both were actually on my list, do you have middle names picked out for each so we can see the flow maybe? I like the abv rec to combine and name her Ruby Winter too.