Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Debating Misoprostol or natural way

Hi, had my 9 week ultrasound yesterday to learn we had no heartbeat. I was prescribed misoprostol and told I can take that or wait until my body naturally begins to cramp, bleed and eventually get rid of everything. I’m struggling with the idea of taking these pills but I’m also aware that it can take weeks for my body to do the natural thing. My head tells me to do it and my heart says wait. I’m so torn. Anyone else experience this?

Re: Debating Misoprostol or natural way

• I waited for 2.5 weeks to naturally miscarry and it didn’t happen so I ended up taking the miso. It didn’t work. Literally nothing. Had d&c yesterday at 12 weeks. I think there’s no harm in waiting a week or 2, but it’s definitely a serious mind game in waiting. Obviously I only can speak to my experience but I think the longer you wait to take the miso, the higher risk of hemorrhage and infection. Sorry you’re dealing with this. Not a fun club at all.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • I’m so sorry to hear that. I appreciate you sharing your story. I ended up taking it and have been cramping and bleeding mildly. Hoping this is quick and I can get to feeling better soon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey, so I took the miso and it worked pretty well. That being said, it’s been a couple of weeks, and when I went in for my ultrasound they told me there was some “material” left, so they gave me 3 more doses and told me to try again, which I am doing today. It’s really annoying, but hopefully it’ll actually take care of everything. I’d really like to avoid surgery if possible, so I don’t want to have to do the D&C. 

The waiting game is also not something I’m into, because I want SOME control over all of this. Just thought I’d share my miso story so you so you’d know that it’s not always the nightmare so many women say it is—my cramps were not that bad, and the only annoyance was a ton of bleeding. But that it’s not always as cut and dry as the other two options.

Of course, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It’s completely awful and heartbreaking and I hope you have a solid support system who are helping to take care of you right now.
  • Thank you for sharing your story. I’m sorry to read you had to go through this twice. Do you remember how long you bled after the first dose? I’m on day 3 and I’m still in pain.