VBAC
Options

V-bac

Hello!  I am currently pregnant with my 4th child due in November. My first two children were delivered vaginally without complication, but I had to have a C-section with my third due to placenta previa and him being breech. C-section also went smoothly and without complications. Now I have the opportunity to have a V-bac which I am very happy about as I definitely prefer vaginal deliver over C-section. However, at my last visit, my dr. told me that should my uterine scar tear, it’s basically the equivalent of getting hit my a semi truck 😱. I could die, my baby could die, I could have to have my uterus removed, or have major surgery to repair the damage. While I was hopeful and excited at first, now I am nervous and scared. I was just hoping for some positive/encouraging stories from other moms who have had successful V-bacs to make me feel a little better about my situation. Thanks!

Re: V-bac

• Options
    Hello!  I am currently pregnant with my 4th child due in November. My first two children were delivered vaginally without complication, but I had to have a C-section with my third due to placenta previa and him being breech. C-section also went smoothly and without complications. Now I have the opportunity to have a V-bac which I am very happy about as I definitely prefer vaginal deliver over C-section. However, at my last visit, my dr. told me that should my uterine scar tear, it’s basically the equivalent of getting hit my a semi truck 😱. I could die, my baby could die, I could have to have my uterus removed, or have major surgery to repair the damage. While I was hopeful and excited at first, now I am nervous and scared. I was just hoping for some positive/encouraging stories from other moms who have had successful V-bacs to make me feel a little better about my situation. Thanks!
    Your doctor is fear-mongering. Yes, there are risks with a VBA2C. Did he tell you the risks of a third CS? Because there are risks there, too. All those risks you mention are also risks associated with CS. 

Takeways - the risk of having your uterus removed (a hysterectomy) is actually lower with a VBA2C and the risk of death is similar. 

Two large studies with sufficient size to control for confounding variables reported on the risks for women with two previous cesarean deliveries undergoing TOLAC (72, 74). One study found no increased risk of uterine rupture (0.9% versus 0.7%) in women with one versus multiple prior cesarean deliveries (72), whereas the other noted a risk of uterine rupture that increased from 0.9% to 1.8% in women with one versus two prior cesarean deliveries (74). Both studies reported some increased risk in morbidity among women with more than one prior cesarean delivery, although the absolute magnitude of the difference in these risks was small (eg, 2.1% versus 3.2% composite major morbidity in one study) (74).
  • Options
    You should find another Dr, yes vbac does have its share of risks but so does a repeat c section. I am a successful vbac mom with my 2nd kid, going of a vbac again. Fear makes vbac harder.