December 2021 Moms

Covid vaccine

I thought this was a significant enough discussion to warrant it's own thread. If you weren't vaccinated before you were pregnant and want to be, have you gotten the vaccine yet? Do you plan to get it later in pregnancy if not? I'd love any input on what others have done (no judgement). Trying to figure this out for myself. I wish I would have been able to get it before I got pregnant. I'm pretty sure I want to get it sometime while pregnant, especially with my mom having cancer, but I'm not sure how far along since research isn't really out there on getting it earlier on. And with our loss history and being 35 it just seems like an even harder decision.
*TW*
Me:35 DH:35
Dx: PCOS
DS1 born 11/2014
DS2 born 11/2018
3 previous losses
Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

Re: Covid vaccine

• I got the first one right around the time I conceived. I found out I was pregnant like two days before I was set to get the second dose. I asked my OB if I should hold off on the second dose and he said he didn’t see why I shouldn’t get it. So I went ahead and got it, but had I not, I would definitely get it now or before winter, as I suspect cases are going to ramp up again and like @rgn12 I’m going to have to go back in office soon. 

I totally get the uncertainty you guys have. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I got the first dose right when I started my period before I got pregnant.  I got my second dose at a few weeks pregnant before we even knew.  Probably better that way because I couldn't over think it.
  • I got my first dose 8 weeks pregnant and second dose at 16 weeks. I was very nervous to get it but my doctor, Midwives and family friends who are doctors said to go for it. Also my sister is doing IVF and asked her IVF doctor who also recommended getting it. She just had her transfer *fingers crossed* and will be waiting to get her 2nd dose until later in her pregnancy solely due to personal preference. Her IVF doc said it was fine to get it 10 days after the transfer. 

I definitely get being on the fence about it though. After I got my first shot, I stayed in bed the rest of the day. Not because I had side effects but because I was so scared I did the wrong thing. Getting my 2nd dose was totally fine though. I didn't gave side effects for either BTW. 
  • fifilala516fifilala516 member
    edited June 2021
    *lurking from January* I ended up getting pregnant and having a chemical pregnancy in between my 1st and 2nd dose in March. I asked my OB if I could get the 2nd dose (I was actively miscarrying) and he said, "You should absolutely get it" because the risks of contracting Covid while pregnant are greater than any risks associated with the vaccine. 

I ended up getting pregnant a month later (I am currently 10w5d) and am so happy I got vaccinated - and if I hadn't gotten vaccinated before becoming pregnant, I definitely would. 

FWIW, I'm in NY state and before the vaccine was eligible to everyone above a certain age, they listed pregnancy as a comorbidity. 
  • bkjadebkjade member
    I was able to get my first vaccine in February. We were TTC at the time so I assumed that I would be pregnant for at least one of my doses. No major side effects, just tired and a bit of a sore arm. 
  • It's so nice to hear everyone's experiences and thoughts. I am usually 100% pro vaccine and pro science (I stay at home now, but I'm an RN and worked in the hospital for 9 years first). I didn't think twice about getting the flu and tdap vaccines when I was pregnant with DS1 and DS2, so I'm not sure why I'm struggling. I think partly because it's new although I know a lot of the research for other coronavirus vaccines was already underway making coming up with a covid vaccine easier/quicker and party because with my loss history it's just scary. I know that I'll get it just need to decide when. 

My SIL was in the boat some of you ladies were - she got the first vaccine when she didn't know she was pregnant, so she went ahead and got the second without any issues. My other SIL got it third trimester without issues. 
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• @JamieH2000 thank you for sharing!  I am already vaccinated, but such a good reference for others in the group. 
  • Lurking here, but am currently due in Dec. I was vaccinated back in Dec/Jan before conceiving but there's a great Instagram account called @babiesafter35. She's a MFM doc at UTMB-Galveston and has posted extensively about the covid vaccine and pregnancy. She always cites her sources from peer reviewed research articles (she's very pro getting the vaccine).

Just thought y'all might want to check it out if you're on the fence. 
  • rgn12rgn12 member
    edited August 2021
    After lots of thought and contemplation, particularly with new info and recommendations put out by ACOG and other reputable organizations I think I’m going to get the covid vaccine during pregnancy. I am scared of the vaccine and covid, but covid is scaring me far worse right now. I have two options. I could get my first vaccine on Monday (@ 25 weeks) and postpone my tdap (OB okayed this @ 30 weeks) a few weeks to give my body a break after the second one (@ 28 weeks). Or I can wait, do my usual 28 weeks stuff (glucose, rhogam, tdap, possibly flu) and then wait a couple of weeks and start the covid vaccine process at 30 weeks. What would you all do? 

Side note, I have worked from home the entire pandemic with no plans to return in 2021 before maternity leave. I rarely go anywhere since I am high risk and my DD cannot be vaccinated. I always mask when I go out. DH is vaccinated already. 

ETA - I would have to get Rhogam and Covid #2 at the same time (or within days likely) if I do Covid at 25/28 weeks. If that makes a difference. OB said I could, but I don’t know if I should. 
  • @rgn12 - with the state of things and the higher risk for pregnant folks, I’d try and get the Covid vaccine as early as possible, but that’s just me. Studies show that vaccination earlier has led to a higher likelihood of passing antibodies on to the 👶 as well. 

Related, is anyone else going to try and get a booster should they become available? I know I def will but haven’t heard much about when that might happen. 
  • rgn12rgn12 member
    edited August 2021
    @bkjade thank you for your input. I think that the booster will be available starting 9/20 for individuals where it has been 8+ months since their last vaccine. 
  • I think I would also get covid first. I know you have to wait 4 weeks from the second shot to your Dtap. So if you got your second one at 28 weeks then you could get your Tdap at just over 32 weeks. At least that'd how they explained it to me in Canada. The wait times could be different in the US though. 
  • @kaitcrystalline strangely enough my OB said you didn’t have to wait, apparently some new thing in the US. But she said if it made me feel better I could push tdap/flu to 30-32 weeks
  • @rgn12 I saw in randoms you just got your first dose. Good for you!! After being in the facebook group others recommended here, I felt very confident in the data supporting pregnant women get the vaccine. I got my first dose at 18 weeks, and my second at 22 (a week late because we were on vacay). I am SO glad to have it done. We're still masking everywhere, not going to places unless necessary like the store, and not seeing hardly anyone other than close family and a couple friends outdoors. With as easy as the delta variant spreads it's nice to lower our risk of severe illness with the vaccine.
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• @mockingjay1 I hear ya! I will probably keep doing the same thing I’m doing now as well. I’ll just hopefully feel less anxious about being one of those terrible cases. I’ve heard so many horror stories about pregnant women with the delta variant and it terrifies me. I just hope I can get the second one without catching it before then… scary times 
  • @bkjade I'm definitely hoping to get the booster shot, but I won't be 8 months out from my last shot until November. 
  • *lurking from Oct 2021*
    I got the vaccine in March and finalized my last dose 4/29/2021–Pfizer. I got COVID around the 13th of this month and a positive test on the 19th. I have never felt so ill in my entire life—including any flu. My SO had it hit a bit harder with the diarrhea and chills and he was unvaccinated so it may have made my symptoms a bit less. Neither of us ever had a fever.
    I lost 8 pounds in 7 days and my BMI dropped to 17 again after getting a little higher (I have HG so weight gain has been an near impossible).
    Just from personal experience, get it. It didn’t prevent me from getting it but if you can avoid what I went through and is still lingering I’d do it.
    BTW I’ll be 32 weeks tomorrow.
  • I'll be getting the booster but won't be due until Jan. Will discuss with my OB next visit to see if they think I should wait or try to get it early.
  • I'm very conflicted on the booster since I had the worst reaction with the second dose + the autoimmune flare up that lasted a month. I did talk to the CDC and report it all so I can at least add to the pregnant + autoimmune disease data. Those participating in the booster study are in my one covid vaccine mom group are saying the booster hit them harder than the second dose. I just feel defeated and scared. 
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • @brookert615

Same. Didn't cause my autoimmune stuff to flare but I had a three day fever with chills and body aches after the second dose. I'm eligible for my booster in September (health care worker) and I keep thinking I'd rather pass on antibodies to this kiddo than not get it. I can let you know how it goes. 
  • @kats0727 Yes, please let us know! 
    TW
  • @brookert615 given your reaction to the 2nd, I understand the hesitancy for the booster. You have plenty of time to think about it though! And maybe not being pregnant your body won't respond quite as dramatically 🤷‍♀️
  • @prpl11butterfly Very, very true!!! 
    TW
  • ! I had signed up for the covid vaccine in March and I'm happy that I did it