2nd Trimester
Options

At home Doppler

Hello mamas ! Soo soo happy we have the outlet for all of us mamas . I’m a first time mom 23 weeks pregnant I got an at home Doppler to help calm my nerves since I’ve been an anxious wreck since being pregnant I try to only use it once a week for maybe 5 seconds but this past week I used it two days in a row for no longer then 5 seconds but now I’m paranoid that I used it to much lol please tell me other mamas have used it I know it says it can be used for a few minutes weekly but I’m just having a paranoid moment . Thank you in advance for the responses ❤️

Re: At home Doppler

• Options
    Hello mamas ! Soo soo happy we have the outlet for all of us mamas . I’m a first time mom 23 weeks pregnant I got an at home Doppler to help calm my nerves since I’ve been an anxious wreck since being pregnant I try to only use it once a week for maybe 5 seconds but this past week I used it two days in a row for no longer then 5 seconds but now I’m paranoid that I used it to much lol please tell me other mamas have used it I know it says it can be used for a few minutes weekly but I’m just having a paranoid moment . Thank you in advance for the responses ❤️
    This is part of the reason my provided said that they are more if a nuance than anything.  They cause more concern than help.  

Honestly, just stop using it.  You should be able to feel baby move a bit, even if just flutters.  

Your baby should be fine, but font use it anymore to calm your worries.  
  • Options
    I definitely feel baby move here and there I’m just super active so i really only feel maybe 2-3 times a day . I heard as long as it’s not for more then a few minutes a week I know I need to just let it be but my anxiety definitely won’t let that happen lol 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor recommended not getting one since it causes more anxiety than not, since we don't know what we're supposed to be looking for. Also, I read that, on the inverse, it can cause a false sense of security. 

I also don't think it's great to expose yourself/baby to any more of the sound waves than they are already have.
  • Options
    Yeah I got help on what exactly to look for , but I agree which is why I limit to 5-10 seconds . It’s very hard when I have this much anxiety it kind of eases it but I def am trying to limit it all . Just trying to trust the process but so hard ! 
  • Options
    Yeah I got help on what exactly to look for , but I agree which is why I limit to 5-10 seconds . It’s very hard when I have this much anxiety it kind of eases it but I def am trying to limit it all . Just trying to trust the process but so hard ! 
    I'm trying to understand how it "eases" but yet you are worried for exposure which is obviously causing more concern and stress.  

You said you feel baby move 2-3 times a day, consider that your reassurance.  Honestly they will become more frequent and more uncomfortable as you move on.  Enjoy this few movements right now and use that as your assurance.  

You got "help" on "exactly what you look for." That doesn't necessarily mean that you are doing it right 

• Options
    I totally get this. I got one too and I’m at 16 weeks and couldn’t hear the heart rate… I messaged my doctor and never heard back but has anyone ever had trouble finding the heart rate? I got it because I’m anxiously waiting for my 16 week check up which happens to be almost at 17 weeks
  • Options
    @Knottie7239e18c1edeebf7

This is why doctors (at least my doctor office) frown upon at home dopplers - because you are not trained to use them and they cause more concern than necessary. 

Practice some patience and wait until your next appointment where the professionals will reassure you and tell you how things are going.  
  • Options
    At my last appt even the doctor spent around a min to find the heartbit. Your baby is very small now, no wonder. My advice is the same as others - do not obsess over it, you will soon start feeling the baby kicking and that should be enough to calm down.
  • Options
    Using your at home Doppler for that about of time will not hurt your baby.
  • Options
    I had difficultly with my Doppler as well. At 13 weeks I could hear my own heartbeat but no sign of baby’s. Baby was fine at my next scan and I figured out my Doppler isn’t working as it should, so had to return it.
  • Options
    Asha47110 said:
    I had difficultly with my Doppler as well. At 13 weeks I could hear my own heartbeat but no sign of baby’s. Baby was fine at my next scan and I figured out my Doppler isn’t working as it should, so had to return it.
    No, its more like you didn't know how to use it properly.  My doctor office HIGHLY discourages them, just for that reason.  They cause more concern than needed!
  • Options
    My doctor doesn't even use a Doppler until the 16 week appointment. Earlier than that they'd get the HB with the ultrasound machine.

I was pretty anxious between weeks 12 and 16 having no monitoring whatsoever and had considered getting a Doppler after enjoying getting to hear the HB at 16 weeks. But at that point I was already starting to feel faint signs of movement so I figure I could give it a few weeks to have the kicking as reassurance that he's fine. He's a pretty active kid during certain times of day so a Doppler would have been a waste. I did have 1 day of what felt like no movement but everything was good at my anatomy scan that I had a few days later.

Even if I did choose to use a Doppler at home I'd probably spend way too much time obsessing over the HB numbers. So passing on using one is better for me mentally.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause