1st Trimester

First baby and I have some questions...

So let me start with I am 28 and I have PCOS. I have had infertility issues for a LONG time and, just when I had come to terms with it and decided I didn’t need kids to be happy, I found out I am expecting! I’m about 6 weeks along (could be further along though. We won’t know until the beginning of august) and have my first appointment scheduled for next Friday. I tried to call their office today with questions but never got an answer and I’m a bit concerned. With the PCOS, I know that my chances of miscarriage are a lot higher and I have had a previous miscarriage very early in the pregnancy. I am having a lot of cramping. Not quite my period level cramping but close and I always have extremely painful periods. I have to keep a heating pad set to warm on me pretty much all the time. Is that normal? Should I be concerned?

Re: First baby and I have some questions...

• First of all, congratulations! 

Cramping is normal. I would try to avoid the heating pad, even on warm. Take Tylenol or something else pregnancy safe. But overall, if you are going through another miscarriage (which I sincerely hope you are not), there’s nothing you can do. Just remind yourself that today, you are pregnant! I had a miscarriage, then carried a beautiful baby boy full term. He’s now 15 months old. Stay positive until you hear those words. 

• ejoseph16 said:
    First of all, congratulations! 

Cramping is normal. I would try to avoid the heating pad, even on warm. Take Tylenol or something else pregnancy safe. But overall, if you are going through another miscarriage (which I sincerely hope you are not), there’s nothing you can do. Just remind yourself that today, you are pregnant! I had a miscarriage, then carried a beautiful baby boy full term. He’s now 15 months old. Stay positive until you hear those words. 
    Thank you so much! I’m scared but am also trying to not stress too much. My partner is already trying to keep me from doing much unless I sneak while he’s at work 😂 got in trouble the other day for planting flowers because I left the little shovel out lol oops! Gotta be better about hiding the evidence 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • I know it’s so hard not too freak out too much… I had a really rough 37 weeks waiting to meet my son. It never goes away! Take it easy, if you’re cramping it could mean you’re doing too much! Take care of that sweet baby growing inside of you. 
  • ejoseph16 said:
    I know it’s so hard not too freak out too much… I had a really rough 37 weeks waiting to meet my son. It never goes away! Take it easy, if you’re cramping it could mean you’re doing too much! Take care of that sweet baby growing inside of you. 
    I think you may be right. We were out most of the day yesterday and I had severe cramping that woke me up last night but no bleeding or anything. I will definitely mention it at my first appointment though. I am thankful that I haven’t had a single bit of morning sickness yet though!
  • I have found that the more I’m doing the more I start to cramp at 5wks. That tells me maybe it’s just muscles being stretched and overworked. After you rest, if it’s fine, then that’s likely what it was!
  • Congratulations.  I just wanted to give you some advice for pregnancy management with pcos. Get on progesterone or metformin or both of you can our bodies have troubles regulating hormones hence the irregular periods. And make sure to keep an eye on your glucose in take as we are prone to gestational diabetes best of luck