April 2022 Moms

GTKY - Tell me about your procrastination

I'm bored, and I'm procrastinating. So, tell me what the dumbest task you're procrastinating doing right now? Can be at work or at home or whatever. Just that dumb thing that you tell yourself you're going to do, and you just can't push yourself to do it. And what's your go-to when you're procrastinating? - Do you do something equally responsible but that you like doing slightly more? Or do you binge watch dumb YouTube videos? 

Re: GTKY - Tell me about your procrastination

• I procrastinated even answering my own GTKY.

I am currently procrastinating doing a work assignment, but that's not particularly dumb. I have been procrastinating going through our linen closet and donating/tossing sheets that are too threadbare, we hate, etc., for like at least 6 months. It's been my "thing I'll do this weekend" literally every weekend for 6 months. I think it would probably take me a max of 30 min, but I just can't bring myself to do it. 

I procrastinate by doing dumb isht. I really wish I procrastinated by cleaning - those people are the real MVPs (my mom). 
  • Oh I love this. The list is too long, but the most ridiculous thing I am procrastinating is a simple phone to waste management so that they can pick up the old couch that’s been sitting in my front yard for the last two weeks 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • This is a great one! 

Currently top of my list of dumb things that I could get done in a few minutes but have instead procrastinated on for several months: fixing the broken hem on two pairs of pants lol. I’ve also been procrastinating on the last few reports that I need to write to end my postdoc year. 

I’ve actually become one of those people who procrastinate by cleaning since working at home more often. But I also just spend way too much time on my phone, watching IG reels or checking the bump now haha. 
  • I'm avoiding emptying the dishwasher. I've washed dishes by hand because I need them...definitely would be easier to just empty and reload it 
  • I'm w/you @doxiemoxie212 I wish I procrastinated by cleaning, but I don't.
    I will put of doing the laundry for as long a humanly possible. 
    One task that I need to do is to go through all of the "paperwork" that has piled up in the home office. I usually find random tasks to do and don't have one avoidant way. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• The dumbest thing that I procrastinate doing, sometimes often, is eating. Not in a disordered type of way, just that I get hungry and I think that I should probably eat something healthy, which means I have to cook or put something together, which seems like a lot of work so I just wait until I have the motivation. Eventually I get so hungry I just eat anything I can find that is definitely not healthy. Or I just think it's too much work to make something to eat, bedtime is soon, I'll just sleep and wake up in the morning and eat. It's pretty dumb.
  • Putting up laundry...I wash, dry and fold everything neatly the same day, but it take 3-4 more days for the clothes in the basket to be put away. Thinking of this, as I pass the clean laundry folded in the basket in the hallway...
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We moved into our house a year ago and our guest room has never been clean and organized.  It's where I throw everything that doesn't have a home.  Soooooo I've definitely been procrastinating that.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • @dinomeetsjedi I do this too. Found out in March of this year I have pretty severe ADHD that no one ever caught because I was a "gifted" kid. My husband has it too so we just normalized each other's behavior hahahaha he can take medication, though, and I can't so the diagnosis does me no good. Alas. 

• I own probably 50 pairs of underwear because I really only do clothes laundry when I run out of underwear lol eeeeek
  • I’ve been meaning to do a good purge of everybody’s clothes for a few months now. We had a garage sale in May and I thought, oh, when it’s finished I’ll post the big things on marketplace, sell them for cheap, and haul everything else off to Goodwill or somewhere. So I have a lot to do there and it’s honestly just overwhelming.

Also need to call the phone company because I had to do a provider update last week and now it’s glitchy. 
  • @queenklau SAME. Minus the folding. Our laundry makes its way through the cycles, and then sits for all eternity in our baskets that have now become mountains. Every morning before work is an explosion of digging through said pile to find something wearable. Between my fatigue and pre-pregnancy procrastination tendencies I have no hope. 😅
  • @minniecat and @queenklau my laundry sits in baskets too! I bought more to have one in every room and make it easier to carry down stairs but turns out that's just more baskets to sit full, lol.

@doxiemoxie212 I buy kids socks like this...but because they get lost easy, and I hate matching them.

I am currently procrastinating two things...writing the last 1500 words of my book, which I said I'd be done with in July, and taking the tea mug off my nightstand and placing it in the sink. Like I pass it daily many times and I just...don't do it. 
  • @SmashJam I am a writer too. I like to procrastinate writing assignments and then curse myself while I write all night to meet a deadline. Happens at least once a month. What is your book about? 
  • @SmashJam That’s so cool that you’re writing a book! Have you published one before?
  • @maggiemadeit my book takes place in a post pandemic Montpelier VT and is about a girl who lives in a collective surrounded by unexplained plants and vines that grew out of nowhere while we were all on lockdown, culminating in a large water lily growing up and around the statehouse.  The main character is forced to leave with her dad and discovers what's really outside the walls and eventually her and her new friends and dad go on an adventure to save her collective.  It's dystopian YA.  I'm working on summarizing it better, but that's the gist! What do you write?

@monstera13 I havent! This will be the first I've finished! 
  • @hoosiermamajayden Same! Though I think I've been meaning to go through and do a purge of our clothes for at least a year and still haven't gotten there.
    More embarrassing though is our garage. Still have so much stuff in boxes and bins out there from our last duty station move 2y ago and it is a completely disorganized mess! Keep meaning to work on it a little at a time, but always have a good excuse not to. I try to open and close the garage door as quickly as possible when I need to take anything out the front so I don't get judged by the neighbors who all have pristinely organized and clean garages 😂
  • @SmashJam Woah, sounds awesome! My mom is a retired children’s librarian and she always says how important YA fiction is to keep kids reading. I am a medical writer, so mostly I write peer-reviewed manuscripts that report clinical trial data. Not nearly as sexy as fiction writing, but it pays the bills lol. 
  • @SmashJam sounds like a great book! 

I'm definitely not a clean to procrastinate person. I procrastinate cleaning lol. 

I've been procrastinating getting into a morning routine of waking up early and working out. I'm still on maternity leave and go back to work in a couple of weeks. I wanted to transition into a good routine before work but I love sleep so much lol. But unfortunately that means I haven't been exercising as much. I normally workout during my daughter's nap but I've been having to take her to one of our rentals and paint during her nap Instead. Adulting is fun.