March 2022 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. This week it's.... baby carriers! Ring slings, wraps, you name it.

Please use the prompts below if you'd like, though it is not required by any means.

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [baby carrier]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]:

For FTMs:
  • [Carrier(s)] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

(Also, any ideas for our next product spotlight topic?)

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

• Options
    PanaceiaPanaceia member
    edited August 2021
    I'm am Ergo mama. DD1 LIVED in the Ergo original...like all day every day. She even napped in it while I cooked or cleaned or worked out...I wore her CONSTANTLY. I got the 360 when she was a bit older and loved that too!

With DD2 I also got the Ergo Adapt Cool Air Mesh and the Ergo Embrace. LOVED THEM ALL but I will give a breakdown for anyone who cares:)

Original: Has the zipper pocket which is super convenient for phone, keys, cash if you don't want to carry a purse also. It does front, side and back carry but not forward facing. You need the baby insert until baby is 6 months old, so it gets hot for baby if you want to use it in the summer before they are 6 months. Has a buckle clip on belt so easy to take baby out without waking them if they fall asleep and you want to transfer them to crib etc. DD1 loved chewing on the straps so I recommend the chew guards for the straps for this. I still used it when DD1 was 3...and I even put her in it for fun when she was 5...so long life. Around $156 CAD

360: Same as original BUT it can forward face as well as front, side and back carry, has adjustable leg holes, and has more padding around the legs and head cushion. It does not have a pocket for your stuff. It has a velcro waist band which is LOUD to take off and would wake baby. You need the infant insert up to 6 months. The rest is the same as the original. Around $180 CAD

Adapt Cool Air Mesh: Carries in ALL positions. You do not need an insert. If you get the mesh version it is very breathable and great for summer. Padding is similar to the 360 and is the most padded out of the 3 (more around the legs and head areas). No pocket. Buckle on the belt. I personally like it better than the Original and the 360. Around $180 CAD

Embrace: This is my favourite of all and got the most use with DD2 (followed closely by the Adapt). It is soft jersy material. Super comfortable. It is padded around the legs and head. Probably the easiest to put on and adjust solo. Can do all position carrying. It can fold up very small and I could fit it in my purse when we went places. The straps are not padded so it was easy to wear under jackets and coats. Buckle belt. No insert needed (used it from birth...same with the Adapt). No pocket. Breathable. I felt like there was a little less head support than with the others but it wasn't a big deal. DD2 liked it the best. It has a 25lbs weight limit, but for me DD2 is 25 months old and still not 25lbs so I can still use it with her. It us also the least expensive - 99$ CAD

I also have the baby KTan but much preferred the Embrace...it just felt more safe and secure for me personally carrying around a newborn.
  • Options
    First, I didn't baby wear a lot so I'm definitely not an expert. I have a feeling I'll need to a lot more with this baby though.

Ergo: My favorite carrier is the Ergo 360. It is a little pricey but worth it. It is sturdy and high quality. It is also easy to readjust the sizing between DH and I. We used it mostly for walks and hiking.  I also recommend a chew guard/drool cover. I found a cute one on Etsy. 

Wildbird: I wasn't a fan. I know they have a huge following but it was too stiff for me. I felt like it was a workout to pull it tight enough through the rings. I got it used on Poshmark and ended up reselling it.

Solly Baby: I really liked my Solly wrap when DD was a newborn. It was easy and comfortable/breathable. I didn't use it past three or four months though. I didn't feel like she was as secure and preferred the Ergo. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Panaceia +1 for Ergo original, we loved ours with my 2nd!
    I'm planning to get another one for this baby since I sold the other to a friend a few years ago.  I'm sad that the patterns they have right now aren't great but I'll keep looking :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    Just checked the Ergo website and they're having a sale on the Ergo Original and free shipping, plus if you enter your cell number for text marketing you get 15% off.  You can get the original for ~$85+tax instead of $120+tax
    https://ergobaby.com/baby-carrier/original-collection 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ACR8LCU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_T7G8SXW12CFY5YS3B2VZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Baby K'tan is my favorite. It's like a simplified version of a wrap, and it just works for me. I didn't wear baby one at all, used it the most with baby two, and a little with number three. I plan to wear number four more. I'm interested in the Ergo though, I might need to give it a try!

• Options
    Just gonna jump in and say I tried EVERY carrier imaginable, borrowed from friends, bought on poshmark, only to finally accept my son was just not interested. 😂

So, my advice is to borrow or be gifted carriers and don’t assume your baby is going to love them.

All that said, MY fave was the wild bird sling because it was the easiest to get in and off. But I didn’t use it until my son was 6 months. I still use it some if I’m somewhere I don’t want to bring the stroller, but he tolerates it for max 30 mins. 
  • Options
    I used Tula explore last time ($159) I liked it but I also struggled getting it on alone, but maybe I just have short arms 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think I’ll try a wrap this time around, but not sure who yet
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    For the early months, I love K’tan.

For anything past that, big fan of Lillebaby. I actually hated the Ergo. Not enough back support and very uncomfortable. But LB was so much better for me to wear. I never felt like I sacrificed back support and my kids seemed to like it better.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    • baby k’tan (for when they’re itty bitty) AND lillebaby were both my favorites! I loved the structure and support of the lillebaby for walks and short hikes but also super comfy. I think I switched mainly to the lillebaby after the first couple months. Once DS hit close to 20lbs though no carrier was comfy enough for the weight (I now use a full on hiking carrier when I can’t use a stroller)
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): baby k’tan was a hand em down and I bought the lillebaby on super sale. But I would pay for both 
    • What you like about it: k’tan was so easy and cool in the hot summer weather. I loved the close snuggles for small baby. And I already mentioned my favorite parts for lillebaby 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: can sometimes be tricky to connect the lillebaby. Maybe I have short arms to reach behind me
  • Options
    +1 for k'tan.. We used it a ton when dd would only sleep while being held and moving (so special). Also have seen it turn a couple reluctant dads into baby wearers, i think it might seems less intimidating once you get the hand of it. 
  • Options
    I like the K'tan for those first few weeks, but then prefer my Lillebaby. I had a tula with DD1 that required the newborn insert and would love to start that thing on fire since it was frustrating for both of us. I also have a few wraps and ring slings, but just don't have the patience for them. I have to say, I found baby wearing generally...difficult? Idk if my body was particularly weak PP, but I had big babies (8.11 and 9.13) and moving around with this weight on my front was awkward and difficult at times. I really only liked baby wearing if I was just straight going out on a walk at my house. If my activity required any sort of bending or up and down, I didn't enjoy baby wearing during it. 
  • Options
    Add me to both the KTan and Lillebaby list. I loaned both to my SIL so I'll have to get them back from her! 
  • Options
    I am a huge Happy Baby carrier fan! They used to be pretty difficult to get a hold of unless you were part of their FB BST group but they've recently changed restocks and I know market value isn't what it used to be. It was a bit insane for a while. I used the Happy Baby stretchy wrap for DD2 when she was itty bitty. I also really liked our Onbuhimo for when she was smaller. Right now I prefer our original carrier for her with front carries. DD1 LOVES our toddler carrier and being dad's backpack. She's 30+lb and over 3'. 

I also have a cheapy (beco) ring sling that DD1 LOVED to get snuggles in. I now use it with DD2. I love that it's super compact and easy to toss in the diaper bag and go. I don't love it for long ups, but it's great for errands.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    Loooooove Happy Baby. Now is a great time to buy with recent restocks. I used a basic ring sling a lot with my first too including a mesh one in water at the pool and beach. I think I will get a Happy Baby Onbuhimo this time around for the early days as well as a wrap.

I used a Tula structured carrier with my first too but personally found it a little too stiff and difficult to sit in. Happy Baby fixed those things.
  • Options
    Just had an idea for another product spotlight. Pregnancy and nursing pillows? 
  • Options
    aukeevaukeev member
    edited August 2021
    ETA... I just realized this was March 22  :sweat_smile: So sorry. I'm April!

So excited to see other Happy Baby moms here! 

• Favorite [baby carrier]: Happy Baby Original
    • Link/picture: https://happybabycarriers.com/products/original-baby-carrier?variant=40201106292927
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $155
    • What you like about it: Extremely lightweight and breathable for both Mom and baby, excellent positioning, high quality fabrics, ethically made, ethically-sourced fabrics, beautiful, minimal design.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Literally nothing lol.
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Possibly a Sakura Bloom Scout, but only because I'm curious about the sling style waistband.
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]: I went through many carriers with my first. We bought an Ergo 360 and I quickly realized it was far too bulky and hot for us. After trying the Infantino, which was more minimal but didn't seem comfortable for my son and wasn't comfortable for me, I looked for other options. I had no idea there were boutique baby carriers but found Happy Baby Carriers and just loved them. We do also use ring slings and love those as well for the first year!
  • Options
    @smoresdoeuvres good idea! Let's do that topic next.

@aukeev haha I was excited to see your username pop up, even if you aren't technically hanging with us! Congratulations! 
  • Options
    @night_nurse omg thank you for mentioning onbuhimo carriers! I forgot I have a Lenny lamb one that is my legit favorite thing once we can do back carries. I did have to look up the happy baby one since I thought they were only for back carries and you mentioned the early days! I'm intrigued by that one with the front carry option (and they have gorgeous colors!) Thank you for sharing and reminding me!!
  • Options
    We used a moby wrap for the first while - I would wear it when working at home, grocery store, meal prep, etc.

I tried an ergo after, but it really didn’t work with how chesty I am.  Switched to a Tula (and later Tula Toddler), and love them! Still have them tucked aside for baby #2.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When my son was a newborn, my favorite was the solly baby. It was so breathable and so comfy. From 1 month to about 1.5 years, I adored my ring sling. I had a wildbird, but honestly a cheaper ring sling would have worked just as well. I love how quick and easy the ring sling is to get on and off, and I love that it is easy to dress up--it doesn't have to look frumpy like so many baby carriers do.
  • Options
    I have two, and will probably keep them for this pregnancy:

• Favorite [baby carrier]: I have the Lillebaby Complete All Seasons and the Boppy ComfyFit
    • Link/picture: See above for links
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I'm pretty sure I got the LB for less than what it retails now ($99.99), and more for the Boppy than what it retails now ($50). Go figure!
    • What you like about it: I liked the LB when my son was past the newborn stage, and the Boppy in the first few months. I was able to use both carriers without any assistance. The LB was great because it had pockets for me to place keys, etc. Boppy was very light and could be put into a diaper bag easily. I could put the LB in a diaper backpack, but it didn't leave much room for anything else.
  • Options
    I have the baby K'tan which works for me because I am short and small and I like how cuddly and soft it is. Plus I only baby wear right at the beginning (first 4 or 5 months). After that I don't think the baby K 'Tan would work. I also have a baby Bjorn or something like that which only my husband uses and I find it adorable when he does. I wouldn't use that one because its too clunky and feels like a weird baby backpack to me. 

I found this shirt that doubles as a baby carrier. Its called a skin-on-skin shirt. OMG it looks so snuggly I want one in every colour. https://www.seraphine.com/en-ca/slate-blue-cotton-skin-to-skin-top-1/

• Options
    @jennifer_m21 I've never heard of the Boppy carrier, but now I need it! It looks simple like the K'tan, but better. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: I have the Ergo Omni 360 (cool air mesh) first in the pearl grey then the Hawaiian print because my husband hated having to keep adjusting the straps when we switched around. 
    • Link/picture: See above for links
    • Cost (179 USD or 200+ SGD): Prices are pretty standard but when different online market places are doing sales on specific colors, I believe I got them for a little bit cheaper. I figured since we aren't stopping at one kid, buying them brand new was justifiable. 
    • What you like about it: I liked the back support and the little zipper for the hood in case it got really sunny or started to sprinkle. It's something I could put on and take off by myself and I took baby on really long walks (for exercise) and up 19 flights of stairs (for exercise) and they kept baby snug throughout. He had a period at 3 months plus where he fussed when being carried facing in but once he had enough neck control he was happy to be back in it facing out. 
  • Options
    Finally ordered something for the baby! I got this carrier since it is on sale and PayPal also sent me a $10 off coupon. I hadn't heard of the brand until recently but it looks like it will be a good middle ground between my Solly & Ergo Carriers. 

https://shop.lalabu.com/products/kerier
  • Options
    @kgg2241 Those look really neat! I've never heard of that brand before!
  • Options
    Thank you @kgg2241 for bringing this to the top of my feed today! This was so helpful, y’all! I was planning on going with a Tula explore (I had a regular Tula last time) but now I’m so interested in the Happy Baby as my SSC! 
  • Options
    @appleblossom8317 join the Happy Baby BST group on facebook! It is a great community. You can also find retired colors for sale and gently used carriers for under market value. I bought an onbuhimo and original carrier that way and they look practically brand new.