January 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Cribs/bassinets

Starting another product spotlight because I am personally clueless and need help! 

Are bassinets worth it? What's the deal with these 3-in-1 (or 4-in-1) convertible cribs? 

Experienced Moms out there, please share your wisdom!

Re: Product Spotlight: Cribs/bassinets

• Yes I need help too!!! I think I’ve ruled out the snoo bassinet so now just looking at other options.  And wondering when you actually start using a crib?  Looks like not until a few months older?  Thanks for asking @lilyfox!!
  • @lilyfox @karenmarie9 we used a bassinet in our room for 2-3 months until baby could roll (did not love it, Fisher Price Soothing Motions) then used a Pack n Play in our room until he was 10 months.  So honestly never used our crib for more than a couple attempts at naps until 10 months.  I think our crib is a 4-1 which transitions from crib to toddler bed to daybed to full bed headboard.  We still have it as a crib at almost 2.  And will probably reuse it for this baby... I'm torn on buying a second crib- anyone 2+ kiddos buy a second crib? 

This time I think we will move baby to his/her room earlier and hope that helps every one get more sleep! 
  • Loading the player...
  • For my son we got an Ingenuity Foldaway bassinet and the first time I put him in, he hated it and I was not a fan. Our Graco Pack N Play had come with a bassinet that we ended up using. Only bad part was carrying it up and downstairs because it's what he napped in during the day. He slept in the bassinet until 6 months and then it took a couple more for him to stay in his crib the entire night. I keep thinking this time we will try transitioning sooner. 

@claire54321
    I purchased a second crib because I don't think my son will be ready to be out of his crib when the baby arrives. Also, we bought his crib as a 4 in 1, planning for him to use it as a toddler and regular bed. 
  • We had a crib for our kids from the start in the nursery, which was directly next to our room. We tried having them in our room when they first came home, and it was kinda tough. We have dogs, and while they're relatively quiet during the night, they do trot in and out sometimes to use the bathroom or do God knows what in the middle of the night. Also, I seemed to wake up to every single movement the baby made next to me. Our first was in his own room by maybe day 5, the second sometime during the 2nd week (for some reason, I really wanted to wait it out with him because I felt guilty, but he grunted all the time). Putting them in their own room saved my sleep - what little I was getting at that point, anyway. 

For both, we had the Fisher Price Rock n Play, which is now recalled. Overall it's great that it's recalled, but I am kinda bummed, only in the sense that my kids were cozy in it during those first few days. I feel like I need some sort of bassinet, but I'm torn. I have a feeling she'll move to the nursery pretty quickly like the others, but I guess I kinda want to try her in our room for the first few days? And there were some mornings where my other kids would wake up and I'd feed and change them, and I just decided to put them in the Rock n Play in the living room with me while I fell back asleep on the couch in front of the TV because I was too tired to walk them back to their room. I'm looking at the Halo bassinet, but am open to other simple types of bassinets that I can move easily from room to room. 

As far as cribs went, we went with this crib: https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/babyletto-hudson-3-in-1-crib-mb/  Since our first was 22 months old and still using his crib when our 2nd was born, we bought a 2nd crib just like this one. My husband didn't like the style of any of the cribs that convert to bigger regular bed later on, so we figured we'd get at least 3-4 years out of each of the cribs/toddler beds, then sell them online and get "big beds" that we liked really well, since they'd have them for years ideally. 
  • We used a PnP with the bassinet attachment in our room the first 10ish weeks. We did naps in his crib earlier than that though. 

We bought the DaVinci Jayden 4-n-1 crib off Amazon. I found the same one at Target, but eventually went with Amazon because of free shipping. Target charged extra since it was an oversized item. We used it as a toddler bed when my son turned 2, until he was almost 4, and plan to use it for a full-size bed in the future. TIP: put the conversion rails on your registry and buy them now. They do not come with the crib, and if your model becomes discontinued, you're SOL. 

We ended up buying a different bed for my son, and saved this crib, so we did not buy a 2nd crib. 

DaVinci Jayden 4-in-1 Convertible Crib in White, Greenguard Gold Certified https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054G1234/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_VVPFXDJJWDV5ZE3YQEBR
    DS: 3-6-15 💙
    Baby Girl Due: 1-1-22
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I used a pack n’ play in our room.  I moved my son to his own room around 6 weeks. Honestly he was so noisy that we just couldn’t sleep with him in our room. Once we moved him he started sleeping through the night. He took naps in his bedroom in the crib starting day one. I got a crib that converts to a toddler bed but that’s it. Reason one is I thought I’d pass it on to baby #2 (didn’t plan on them so close together) reason two is kids chew on them etc so I doubt it will look good by the time I'm ready to move him to a big bed. My only suggestion is don’t get a crib with just rails. My son constantly throws stuff behind the crib, plus the outlet is behind it and it’s hard to hide the monitor cord. I really with I had a solid back on one of the sides. This is the crib I have for my son. https://www.westelm.com/m/products/mid-century-convertible-crib-acorn-h3207/?cm_cat=Google&sku=9505930&region_id=780420&catalogId=71&cm_ite=9505930&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItpbri7i08gIVF5fICh16FgcLEAQYASABEgKn2_D_BwE&cm_ven=PLA&cm_pla=Furniture%20%3e%20Cribs
  • @magalina_h excellent advice on the conversion rails!

We got a halo bassinet for my 1st. We knew we wanted more kids, so looked at it as a long term investment. I loved it, especially the ease of moving it closer and further from my bedside after a c-section, the vibration, and the built in nightlight. But the batteries were in a terrible location and a pain in the a** to change, so hopefully they’ve fixed that in the past few years for new models. We will use it again with this baby. 

DD was in our room for about 4 months. We had planned on longer, but she started waking up in the middle of the night just to babble. It was far easier to just turn down the monitor if she didn’t need anything rather than wait for her to finish her story (although it was cute in hindsight). We plan to keep the baby in our room as long as we can, but will move him if he’s sleeping through the night and doesn’t need intervention. It’s just easier to have him close when we’re up and down a lot in the night, but once he’s sleeping through the night, I certainly sleep better without a baby right next to me, waking at his every movement. 

We also got a convertible crib-toddler bed for DD, and she’s still in the crib at 2.5, but I didn’t even buy it until she was a couple of months old. We’ve been lucky that she doesn’t climb out-she is able to, she just doesn’t, which I know is very lucky. I will keep her in it as long as I can! I haven’t thought about this baby’s bed yet-i figure I’ll see where dd is at when it’s time to move baby and go from there.
  • alpacamama2alpacamama2 member
    edited August 2021
    Thanks to everyone for all the fabulous info!! Sounds like pack n plays are popular and maybe more useful than a crib initially? 

We are tight on space so I am trying not too get much stuff!
  • @lilyfox PnP is the best in the beginning in my opinion.  And a great cost effective item you'll use in the future.  DS was in our room in the PnP until 5 months and then moved to his own room and crib.  We still use the PnP when we travel.  We just got back from a weekend away and DS still used his PnP; he's almost 26 months now and big for his age!

Also not specific to crib/bassinet but in the same realm (i think i've mentioned it before too) We loved the Dock-A-Tot.  It helped when DS needed to be right near us and for naps in the middle of the day without having to go up all the stairs.  We also used it to help transition to the crib for naps.  (I wasn't comfortable having him sleep in it all night)