February 2022 Moms
Options

PPD

So I know it might seem early to be talking about this, but im curious to see what everyone's thoughts are. I've been somewhat emotional throughout my pregnancy, like there are things I can't even talk about without crying, and today my mother made a comment about worrying about PPD (post partum) with me because of this. Mind you, I do get really bad mood swings when I would pms. Has anyone or would anyone like to share experience/knowledge? Obviously going to talk to my OB about this. 

Re: PPD

• Options
    You can get anxiety and depression while pregnant, and isn’t *technically* postpartum depression or postpartum anxiety since by definition has to be within so many weeks/months of delivery. And, that said, it still can be hormone related and you may need treatment during pregnancy. 

Couple caveats here. I’m a psychiatrist who also happens to be on lexapro started during my poor prognosis ultrasound in early February this year. I definitely have needed it this pregnancy as there is a LOT of anxiety for me. 
  • Options
    I have Generalized Anxiety which is normally very well managed with Celexa. During my first pregnancy I definitely felt a major uptick in anxiety symptoms. I didn’t want to mess with my meds so I found a therapist who specialized in perinatal depression/anxiety and it was so helpful! I was more or less back to “normal” a few weeks after my son was born. I think it’s fairly common in pregnancy and I will be closely self monitoring in case I feel the need for any additional support again. For sure reach out to your OB!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @angelz429 @kaf1788
    I've never been diagnosed with anxiety or depression, so I definitely wonder if that would be a major deciding point. Just always had severe pms symptoms, but yes definitely going to talk to the ob about it. Thank youso much ❤
  • Options
    JWatt5JWatt5 member
    I thought I was ok through pregnancy. Pretty moody with my anxiety/depression showing up as moments of rage towards my husband and it continued afterwards. I felt fine and was so happy with the baby but as soon as my perfect world was disrupted (aka DH came home or had to deal with in-laws) I’d be angry. I went to get some help at 6mpp and then was forgotten about. By 13mpp when I went back to work I had a full meltdown - off work for 2 weeks, meds & a few counselling sessions. I’ve stayed on a low dose of Zoloft and already this pregnancy I’ve dealt better - I don’t know what I would have been like without it during IVF and now. 
    Just watch yourself and If your partner is able to, have them watch for things as well. DH is unable to deal with my anxiety in a helpful way which is hard but is what it is. I find asking my physical run through an assessment rather than asking me how I’m doing helps - it’s too easy to say I’m fine in that moment. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    I have a history of depression and anxiety. Prior to becoming pregnant I was on Lexapro for about a year and a half, in addition to seeing my therapist of now 2 and a half years. I weaned off the meds in August of last year but still see my therapist weekly. It is definitely a concern for me to develop PPD, given not only my own history of depression but also my maternal line's history of PPD specifically. I've talked with my midwife team, my therapist, and my GP about it, so we are definitely all on the lookout. 

All of this to say, definitely lean on your medical team for this. family is well-meaning but they aren't medical professionals and dropping things like PPD at this stage sounds like it made you feel more anxious than you were. starting to see a therapist now may also be helpful so that they can establish a kind of baseline with you before you give birth. (I may also be biased, as a therapist myself, lol).