Outdoor wedding with 10-month old? — The Bump
September 2020 Moms

Outdoor wedding with 10-month old?

Hello fellow mamas, I'm curious as to whether you'd attend an outdoor wedding with your baby right now.

We have a family wedding coming up at the end of this month that will completely take place outside, both the ceremony and reception. About 100 people are expected to attend, with maybe 1/2 to 2/3 fully vaccinated. My husband and I are also fully vaccinated. It will be the first time we have seen extended family members since before the pandemic and also the first time our baby will be seen in person by everyone, aside from immediate family members.

As it's been over a year and a half since seeing the extended family, I'd like to attend with our 10-month old son, taking precautions to keep him safe... Like keeping him in a covered parent-facing stroller, allowing no one other than myself or my husband to hold him, and social distancing. 

My husband disagrees that our son should accompany us. He's worried about the risk of new variants and that we won't know the vaccination status of other guests. I think as long as we keep him covered in his stroller, don't allow anyone else to hold him, or get too close, that it's safe enough for our son to attend. Our pediatrician also said it's low risk as long as we take those precautions.

I'm so ready to dress up in something fancy, see the family and show off my handsome little man, even if it's from within the stroller. What would you do? 

Re: Outdoor wedding with 10-month old?

• greylgreyl member
    Hello fellow mamas, I'm curious as to whether you'd attend an outdoor wedding with your baby right now.

We have a family wedding coming up at the end of this month that will completely take place outside, both the ceremony and reception. About 100 people are expected to attend, with maybe 1/2 to 2/3 fully vaccinated. My husband and I are also fully vaccinated. It will be the first time we have seen extended family members since before the pandemic and also the first time our baby will be seen in person by everyone, aside from immediate family members.

As it's been over a year and a half since seeing the extended family, I'd like to attend with our 10-month old son, taking precautions to keep him safe... Like keeping him in a covered parent-facing stroller, allowing no one other than myself or my husband to hold him, and social distancing. 

My husband disagrees that our son should accompany us. He's worried about the risk of new variants and that we won't know the vaccination status of other guests. I think as long as we keep him covered in his stroller, don't allow anyone else to hold him, or get too close, that it's safe enough for our son to attend. Our pediatrician also said it's low risk as long as we take those precautions.

I'm so ready to dress up in something fancy, see the family and show off my handsome little man, even if it's from within the stroller. What would you do? 
    I’d probably go since it’s family. Although it does make me mad that not everyone is getting vaccinated. I think you have a good plan by not letting anyone hold him and keeping distance. It will also help a ton to be outside. I’d probably wear masks if I were to be around people I knew weren’t vaccinated. And maybe see if the B/G can seat you with vaccinated folks since you’ll possibly have the baby with you? These viruses are going to be around forever so at some point you’ll have to make the decision to have him around other people. Who knows when they’ll approve a vaccine for children under 12 anyway.