November 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Blankets

Time to discuss Blankets! (Note: for at least the first year of baby's life, blankets should not loosely cover baby or be put loosely in the crib for sleeping (per the American Academy of Pediatrics safe sleep recommendations), but there are many uses for sweet baby blankets!)

What are some categories of blankets to think about? It would be great to share what our favorite swaddle blankets are (including NOT using blankets and choosing instead velcro or zip-up swaddles). Our babies will be born in autumn: what are some materials with different weights or warmth to consider? Favorite brands?

But there's more to blankets beyond swaddling: what are your favorite blankets for throwing on the floor for baby to roll around on? Which blankets do best to double as a stroller cover or nursing cover? Or a lovey blanket when they're a little older and need something to snuggle and drool on? Or a nice fuzzy thick blanket to wrap mom and baby in while nursing? Are there any extra special splurge-y blankets out there? Do you have any monogrammed blankets and if so where did those come from? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights 

(Stolen from July 2021)
Me: 29 | DH: 28
Due: 6 Nov 2021
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Product Spotlight: Blankets

• I was gifted dozens of blankets for my firstborn so I recommend not going crazy with the blanket purchasing.
    Muslin blankets are a great breathable, light weight blanket that are pretty versatile. I used these mostly for swaddling and still use them for my toddler as a summertime blanket.
    We had playmats for tummytime so we didn't use blankets for those.
    Also consider a blanket to cover baby (snuggly) while in their carseat during the wintertime. Thick coats worn in carseats are considered unsafe.
    I've noticed a lot of baby blankets are super soft and fluffy when you first by them but after a few washes they pill and lose their softness. ... I don't have any soft, fluffy blankets that didn't do this so I can't really recommend them but I do still use them because they still function perfectly well as blankets.
  • Lurking from Feb 22

The Saranoni minis are perfect for putting on baby's lap in the car seat and they are soooo soft.

You can put blankets on your registry, bit mostly people will gift you whatever blankets they want! Lol so if there is a specific blanket you can't live without, I recommend purchasing it yourself, but don't go crazy.  The blankets have a way of multiplying.

I found the Little Unicorn were some of my favorite for swaddling.  There are other swaddles that may feel softer like the bamboo ones or various blends, but I found the 100% cotton muslin have the right balance of softness and grippiness for swaddling.  Another one I have that I really loved was a Tula swaddle, and the Aden & Anaïs were good.  I also had good luck with a couple random Amazon ones as long as they were 100% cotton. 👍
  • Loading the player...
  • OMG, blankets are an obsession of mine. I LOVE Tula blankets. They’re made of bamboo, super soft, and have amazing designs and patterns. They’re always coming out with new styles so you can have a variety. DD (3.5yo) still loves her blankets. I got a baby size and a big size for when DS was born. All the nurses loved it that we matched! 

I don’t know if I can even do this (let me know if I can’t and I’ll delete it) but I’ve got a code for $5 off any purchase at the Tula website. 
  • We have some Tula blankets too and they are nice but I never found much use for blankets with babies. I guess it's good to have a couple around but I could never wrap a swaddle blanket properly and since they can't sleep with blankets for so long, the blankets just sit in a drawer.
  • @RoseShadow873 I put them on the floor and have the babies check out the colors and shapes. We were able to swaddle DS in them at the hospital. DH is the master swaddled, so I couldn’t even begin to tell you how he does it! We keep a blanket per kid in each car too in case they get cold with the AC blasting in the summertime. They each have a blanket at daycare too. 
  • We loved the Aden+Anais blankets. I used them for swaddling, laid them on the floor so they had a clean space to do tummy time (especially if we were not home), used them as a burp cloth if needed, and a nursing cover. I had a stretchy bamboo swaddle for my last babe and it was definitely my favorite. I’m looking at buying a mixture this time (since we sold everything thinking we were done after #3). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • +1 using swaddles for everything.  (not that you necessarily need to own THAT many of them.)  I never registered for burp cloths, and while we were gifted some, and I did find it was nice to bring a pretty one to Church, mostly I felt like I never had one close enough when I needed it lol so the muslin swaddles became the go-to for everything, nursing cover, burp cloth, changing pad, you name it!  I would always keep a bag in the car with a blanket or two and spare diapers + wipes (although being mindful that if you are in a winter climate, the wipes can freeze if left in the car overnight. lol) Activity mats, swaddles, etc.  Some babies are harder to swaddle than others, some babies just don't like being swaddled etc. so it probably is a bit of trial and error once baby arrives to see what works for you and your individual child.  For me I think even thought the Tula ones may be bamboo, they were just SO BIG that it made it easier to swaddle.  It may be beneficial to watch some youtube videos ahead of time or practice on a teddy bear or whatever, but nothing can really prepare you for trying to swaddle a squirmy, screaming baby, should you find yourself in such a predicament.  They have the velcro swaddles, too, but I never found I needed them for my second, and only used them occasionally out of desperation with my first.