Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

D&C after Misoprostol didn’t work....

Hi everyone... I just want to share my experience so that others can have another perspective to consider.
At 10.5 weeks a scheduled US showed no heartbeat, and growth had stopped at 8wks. It was deemed a MMC, as I had no symptoms (no bleeding/cramping). I was completely shocked. The doctor offered 3 courses of action: let MC happen naturally, take Misoprostol, or schedule a D&C. I chose Misoprostol.
I took (inserted vaginally) Misoprostol before bed that evening... I had moderate to severe cramping throughout the night, but no bleeding. The next morning my doctor prescribed 2 more doses. I took the first at 9:30am, and the second at 1:30pm...continued having cramping all day and into the night- finally at 8pm I bled heavily for about an hour and even passed a large blood clot. I thought it was over. I had light cramping Saturday, Sunday and Monday (no bleeding at all).

Today I went in for my follow up with my doctor. US showed the baby (embryo/fetus) was still intact. :(( I was devastated! She offered more Misoprostol or the D&C... I opted for the D&C. I just couldn’t bear the thought of dragging this out for a any longer. And there was no guarantee the fourth or even fifth time taking Misoprostol  would work. 
The D&C was scheduled immediately for later in the afternoon. I went directly into OR prep...the doctor, anesthesiologist, and nurses were all caring and informative. I was overwhelmed with emotions and actually cried quite a bit.
I was wheeled into the OR, and the next thing I knew- I was waking up in recovery. I was not in pain. I was groggy from the medication. 
Now I’m home resting. I feel light cramping, and I’m not spotting (as of yet). I’m taking ibuprofen/Tylenol as needed. My doctor will check hcg levels in a week.
IMO- I prefer the D&C as opposed to the Misoprostol. It was too isolating and painful for me (not to mention it didn’t work). The D&C was quick, thorough, and painless (for me).
I am 43 years old. This was my third pregnancy, first MC. This was my experience and my opinions... I realize it’s not the same for everyone.

Re: D&C after Misoprostol didn’t work....

• Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience. It's been 10 days since I took Misoprostol for my miscarriage. It was my first pregnancy and I was 13 weeks pregnant when an ultrasound showed the baby to only be 6 weeks. I had light spotting shortly after a third US showing there was no longer a heartbeat. My OB prescribed me Misoprostol. I took 1 pill (vaginally as well) in the morning and one in the afternoon. I was to take a third in the evening but the cramping became horrific so I was rushed to emerg.

I don't want to scare anyone that may be looking for stories about the medicated route but for me, it's been the most traumatizing experience I've ever had. The pain was beyond anything I've ever felt before and it was endless. I was in agony for over 3 hours in emerg until finally I felt a pop. There was instant relief but then the bleeding started. I've never seen so much blood in my life and I was constantly passing blood and tissue, all while being in emerg waiting for bloodwork results and a US to be done.

I have to say if I ever miscarry again, I will opt for the d&c as emotionally and physically I don't think I could go through the medicated route again. Everyone's experience is different, so I hope not many others have experienced what I did, especially with their first pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I’m sorry for your loss. I’m also going through a miscarriage and was very hesitant about medication and D&C, but my body wasn’t doing anything to pass the pregnancy so now I will be going for a D&C this week. I really appreciate that you shared your experience with D&C. It’s helped relieve some of my anxiety about it. Thank you 💓
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Very informative! Thank you all for sharing! I am miscarrying or am about to. Very confused right now. Long story short, my 7 week U/S yesterday showed no baby. I have been taking progesterone for a month and think that maybe that has been masking the miscarrige that has been slowly been taking place.(Brown spotting that sometimes looked like coffee grounds and some passed tissue). My doctor hasn't given me any answers and I know my body so I know I'm right. Will be asking for a D&C to make sure everything is out. My last MC last year I let happen naturally and I got so sick. It was not an ideal time. 
  • Options
    I had a similar situation! Went in for an ultrasound at 7.5 weeks as I was having some spotting, which showed a small gestational sac measuring at 5 weeks 3 days and no heartbeat. We went back ~10 days later and confirmed it was a nonviable pregnancy.

I had some natural bleeding and passing of clots but decided to try misoprostol to help facilitate the rest. Took four 200mg tabs vaginally with no response, so repeated that dose 24 hours later and still had no response. I spent the whole weekend feeling sick (groggy, diarrhea, mild cramps) but had no bleeding. It was very frustrating and looking back I wish I wouldn’t have even tried the misoprostol. I think research says women typically respond to it 80-90% of the time but unfortunately I was not in that group.

I then scheduled an in-clinic d&c with localized anesthetic, so I was awake for it. I was extremely nervous, as I normally feel faint just getting my regular flu shot. They gave me Valium and toradol before to help with anxiety and pain and my doctor and nurse were kind, calm, and explanatory. The procedure was very quick - by the time I undressed to the time it was done was about 10-15 mins. The lidocaine injection into my cervix felt like a 5-10 second sting/cramp… and the actual procedure felt like 1-2 mins of pretty intense cramps. I tried to focus on deep breaths. I don’t consider myself to have a high pain tolerance so I was very proud of myself and overall happy I decided to go the outpatient route. I felt mentally strong enough for it and it was the right decision for me personally.

After the procedure I went home, napped for a few hours with my heating pad, and didn’t need any further pain meds. I went back to work the next day and was fairly comfortable. I had mild cramps (no worse than PMS), and light bleeding… but otherwise felt great physically. Emotionally I think I have a long journey ahead but am excited to try again for a rainbow baby. 💓👼🏼

Hoping my experience helps guide someone else - I did a lot of googling the night before my procedure and read a lot of horror stories. Luckily, my experience was as positive as it could be. Sending well wishes to anyone going through this!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss! I am in the same boat right now: missed miscarriage discovered via ultrasound at 10w4d, but baby with no heartbeat was measuring at 7w5d. I was offered all 3 options, waited several days while my pharmacy had to order the Cytotec and Methergine my Dr prescribed, and I have no bleeding at all on day 2. Total shock to find out baby was gone, because I didn't feel different at all (still don't except for a very sporadic cramp which is more like gas pain than anything menstrual). It's looking like I'm possibly on track for a D&C next (especially since I had to be induced when my first two kids were born). Your experience is helpful to know what to think, and it really is helpful to know that you're not alone in a time of grief. "Precious in the sight of the Lord" ♥️