1st Trimester

Measuring 5 weeks at 6 weeks? Ectopic?

Hey mamas - just had my first baby appt and the baby is measuring one week earlier than I thought he/she was. (Measured 5 weeks and thought I was 6) I haven’t had any spotting or pain and all of the usual pregnancy symptoms. He said it’s very common for ovulation dates to be off and women come in too early. But he did say that if it doesn’t look better next week we’d be having a different discussion. 😞 At first, he said he wanted to make sure it wasn’t ectopic (which he doubted since I haven’t had bleeding) but he found the gestational sac in my uterus so he thought I was just a week or two early with the measurements. If the gestational sac is seen in my uterus then it’s not ectopic correct? I want to make sure I understood him correctly but my mind started racing and I couldn’t think straight lol

Re: Measuring 5 weeks at 6 weeks? Ectopic?

• lelkcotlelkcot member
    Yes, if he located the gestational sac in the correct place, than it is not ectopic. Measuring behind is not uncommon, especially if you're not certain of your ovulation date. I'm sorry you're in this limbo, I hope next week's scan brings good news. 
  • What PP said,  a gestational sac in the uterus is NOT an ectopic. Unless you temp and know exactly when you ovulated, it's HIGHLY probable that ovulated later than you thought. It's very common. FWIW, my ds2 and ds3 measured over a week behind for a bit and then caught up. I know it's crazy to be in this limbo. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Echoing what others said. I wouldn't be overly concerned about measuring a week behind, especially if you are uncertain of ovulation date.  FWIW, with my first, I measured 5.5 weeks when u expected to be 8, and with my second, I had tracked ovulation,  so I knew my date, still measured over a week behind, and still had a healthy baby.  (Growth caught up by 8 weeks)
  • Yes, to what PPs have said.  I think it's important to remember, in practical terms, they are measuring something very, very, very small.  Talking about the difference between a poppyseed and a mustardseed in early days, to a sesame seed!?  So I mean, that's just hard to do insanely accurately, inside a woman's body, using SOUND WAVES.  It's crazy.  Try to trust and believe. 😇 Baby is in the right place, and hopefully next week it WILL be a completely different conversation, in the best possible way.  GL!!!
  • Both of my pregnancies my baby has measured 7w when I went in for my 8w dating ultrasound. They caught back up to match the LMP due dates by the 12w ultrasounds though 
  • harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited May 2021
    I guess I don't understand the need for ultrasounds so early in pregnancy.  Unless there is a medical need.  It creates more worry than anything to the mom and pad pockets of the medical field.  

Is a 20 week anatomy scan essential, yes.  Is a 12 week dating scan no.  (Nothing wrong w/ going w/ LMP they did for ages before ultrasound).  Are others necessary - nope just creates concern for mom if things "don't add up."  
  • I guess I don't understand the need for ultrasounds so early in pregnancy.  Unless there is a medical need.  It creates more worry than anything to the mom and pad pockets of the medical field.  

Is a 20 week anatomy scan essential, yes.  Is a 12 week dating scan no.  (Nothing wrong w/ going w/ LMP they did for ages before ultrasound).  Are others necessary - nope just creates concern for mom if things "don't add up."  
    Yes and no. LMP isn’t reliable for all people if they are frequently having unprotected sex and/or have irregular cycles. I would like to agree with you, but in this day and age it’s pretty important to have an accurate due date to avoid being pressured into interventions because you’re “early” or “late” or to have a particular birth experience (OOH births are typically limited to a specific time frame). 

For most people who have regular cycles, LMP should be fine (I have only had the 20-week with my last two children). 
  • coldlife2 said:
    I guess I don't understand the need for ultrasounds so early in pregnancy.  Unless there is a medical need.  It creates more worry than anything to the mom and pad pockets of the medical field.  

Yes and no. LMP isn’t reliable for all people if they are frequently having unprotected sex and/or have irregular cycles. I would like to agree with you, but in this day and age it’s pretty important to have an accurate due date to avoid being pressured into interventions because you’re “early” or “late” or to have a particular birth experience (OOH births are typically limited to a specific time frame). 

For most people who have regular cycles, LMP should be fine (I have only had the 20-week with my last two children). 
    For those w/ irregular cycles, that is why due dates are only estimated dates- NOT an exact science.  Thats part of why they allow you to "go to 42 weeks"

I am a advocate for science and I am appreciative of the advances in technology- but I have seen more and more scare stories of early ultrasounds that result in more fear and scare that result in more ultrasounds.  Things are perfectly fine.  This happened to me resulting in nasty letter being sent to my office from a MF doctor that I was rushed to as an "emergent" case.  

The ones I disagree w/ most are people who go to unregulated boutique US "for sh**s and giggles."  
  • @harpseal135 Have you ever had to personally advocate to be "allowed" to go all the way to 32 weeks?
  • coldlife2 said:

For those w/ irregular cycles, that is why due dates are only estimated dates- NOT an exact science.  Thats part of why they allow you to "go to 42 weeks"

I am a advocate for science and I am appreciative of the advances in technology- but I have seen more and more scare stories of early ultrasounds that result in more fear and scare that result in more ultrasounds.  Things are perfectly fine.  This happened to me resulting in nasty letter being sent to my office from a MF doctor that I was rushed to as an "emergent" case.  

The ones I disagree w/ most are people who go to unregulated boutique US "for sh**s and giggles."  
    In this country, it really seems like many providers treat due dates like an exact science and not an estimate. I know PLENTY of people who were pressured by their providers to have an induction once they hit the 41ish week mark or even before. Or forget pressuring, just plain scheduling an induction for 37 or 38 weeks or whatever because you’re high risk, and suddenly you’re delivering a preemie baby if your due date is off. 

I also know someone who had an OOH birth who bumped right up against that 42 week mark. She almost had to go to the hospital. She delivered an on-the-small-side baby that her providers took one look at and said was in absolutely NO WAY a 42-week baby. She had irregular cycles. 

I do think women should get dating scans toward the end of the accuracy period rather than ASAP to avoid scares or just not being able to see anything because it’s too early. Bonus: you can have an abdominal ultrasound rather than transvaginal.  ;)