November 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Baby Apparel

Today on the list of topics to discuss we have BABY APPAREL. So let's have our first serious baby clothes discussion! Looking ahead at the product topics, in later weeks we'll also have specific conversations on spring and summer essentials for our growing babies, so we'll be able to revisit seasonal particularities, so don't feel the need to comb your brain for every last item! This thread can focus on what to get throughout our pregnancies to be ready for those first few newborn rollercoaster months!

So tell me all about tiny baby clothes! Do you have favorite brands? Where do you get your basics and where do you get your splurges? Does one even splurge for a newborn? Did you have a special coming home outfit? Any particular stylistic preferences to warn FTMs (e.g., do you avoid teensy buttons like the plague and only get zippered onesies)? Opinions on baby hats and baby socks?

How much do you REALLY need for a newborn: did STMs find you changed their onesie 10 times a day or, like, rarely? Any shopping tips to get a good baby clothes haul (which they'll inevitably use for 10 seconds before growing out of it)--did you get used baby clothes? What range of sizes should we get now that we have a little time to plan and shop: should you buy ahead and be equipped through months 0-6 or 12, or buy as you go? How do you dress them to sleep: do you use a sleep sack on top of pjs? Baby shoes: adorable accessories or complete waste of time? And while we're talking clothes, how do you wash baby clothes? Do you use special soap? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlight  

(Stolen from July 2021)
Me: 29 | DH: 28
Due: 6 Nov 2021
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Apparel

• Get handmedowns. Most are barely worn and in great condition.

The sun will get rid of so many spitting stains. 
  • slizteesliztee member
    This ^

Arlo lived in zip-up footies and Velcro swaddles for the first few months of his life, as will Sadie. You don’t really take them out much (especially since our group’s babes will be born in late fall), and footies are both warm and practical. Some folks don’t need newborn clothes because they have big babies, but mine was smaller than we predicted and we ended up buying a few more footies because he wore them for at least a month.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with getting hand-me-downs whenever you can.   I recommend getting a lot of onesies and footie pajamas in 0-6 month sizes, and 1 or 2 in newborn sizes. Then buy more newborn sizes once baby is here if you need them.  I did prefer the zipper pajamas over the snaps for those middle of the night changes. 

We were pretty minimal with DS as he was born in Dec and really didn't go anywhere very much the first few months. Most of the actual "outfits" we got him didn't get worn. He also hated being swaddled so I don't have any recommendations on that front. 

We just washed all of his clothes in All free and clear.
  • I bought so many adorable 3 piece newborn and 0-3 month outfits that never got worn. Not because I have big babies (I don’t) but because those 3 piece outfits are a PITA. Baby gowns and zip up footie pajamas are the way to go. 

I would buy as you go because you never know how long they will be in a certain size and if you guess wrong then you’ll be left with a bunch of fleece pajamas in that fit in the summer, or something.
  • mayoduckmayoduck member
    edited May 2021
    We got lots of hand-me-downs, which were wonderful to have buuuut the family they came from must have used scented detergent and/or fabric softener and it didn't seem to both DS too much but *I* got a skin rash from having his clothes touch my skin while nursing (and this was after running the clothes 2x through the wash with an extra rinse to try to get rid of the smell). So, a word of caution for anyone else who may be sensitive to perfumes.

+1 for zip up footies for the newborn phase. We had a bunch of swaddles, and I know there are a lot of people who say their babies hated swaddles and a lot of professionals who tout back that it's rare for babies to actually dislike swaddles, but I really think DS didn't like being swaddled. Every ultrasound (he had 3) his hands were up by his face, and every time we swaddled him, he'd squirm and grunt until he wiggled his hands up by his face.

I think we changed outfits 1-2 times most days. We were fortunate DH rarely spat up so he only needed a new outfit when he had blowouts.

ETA: Definitely meant to say "DS rarely spat up so he only needed a new outfit when he had blowouts." DH was pretty good about not having accidents himself too. 😂
  • mayoduck said:
    We got lots of hand-me-downs, which were wonderful to have buuuut the family they came from must have used scented detergent and/or fabric softener and it didn't seem to both DS too much but *I* got a skin rash from having his clothes touch my skin while nursing (and this was after running the clothes 2x through the wash with an extra rinse to try to get rid of the smell). So, a word of caution for anyone else who may be sensitive to perfumes.

+1 for zip up footies for the newborn phase. We had a bunch of swaddles, and I know there are a lot of people who say their babies hated swaddles and a lot of professionals who tout back that it's rare for babies to actually dislike swaddles, but I really think DS didn't like being swaddled. Every ultrasound (he had 3) his hands were up by his face, and every time we swaddled him, he'd squirm and grunt until he wiggled his hands up by his face.

I think we changed outfits 1-2 times most days. We were fortunate DH rarely spat up so he only needed a new outfit when he had blowouts.
    It’s so fortunate that your DH rarely spat up or had blowouts 😂😂😂
  • @mayoduck that's how DS was with swaddling. He would scream and cry until his arms were free, and even now he hates anything that confines his arms or legs.  So the experts can shove it 😂
  • Same as everyone else. There definitely seems to be a consensus here. 

Zip up footed sleepers, outfits are a pain and honestly I don’t buy anything under size 6-12mo. They look cuter in outfits when they can sit anyway imo.

I do buy one or two cute things for photo purposes only… They are only tiny once! So for that reason I say if you really love an outfit by it. Just know that you will have to intentionally put baby in it to take a picture! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also like the footie pajamas the most. We had decent luck with the sleep sack swaddles. I could never fold a swaddle blanket well enough for it to stay on; those nurses make it look so easy somehow. Those Zutano slippers are great for staying on and are much better than socks. I don't do baby shoes. 

For style preferences, I absolutely hate those baby girl outfits with the button closure in the back where you have to get the button in the little loop! It's impossible to button those on babies.
  • I go to Once Upon a Child during a sale and fill up a bag with cute clothes, onsies are like 1$ and outfits are less than 5.  I got rid of ALL baby clothes and maternity clothes after the last miscarriage so starting over.