November 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

Today's topic is a very fun one: Diaper Bags! You will need to carry around a bunch of baby gear, so you may as well make it cute! Or if not cute, at least comfortable and organized. Or if not organized, at least easy to wipe off various baby fluids. Or if covered in baby fluids, sounds like you could use some cheering up with a cute purse. Circular and impeccable logic. 

Do you have a brand, or particular bag within a brand that you recommend? How about general shape (backpack, over-the-shoulder, smaller tote for quicker excursions)? How many diaper bags do you have, and do you stash them in different places (e.g., do you have a "car diaper bag")? Do you and your partner and other caregivers use the same bag, or do you have a variety? Do you rely on the organization built into the bag, or do you use additional storage solutions like baggies or insertable slots? And really, what do you even PUT in your diaper bag? Did you bring your entire nursery and also a pharmacy and also a Toys R Us in your diaper bag with a newborn? And do you just bring an old rag and like half a diaper when your baby is 1 year old and you're over it? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

(Stolen from July 2021)
Me: 29 | DH: 28
Due: 6 Nov 2021
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

• Options
    I’m team backpack all the way. Diaper bags are cute, and there are backpack style of diapers bags, but they’re expensive and not as durable or as large as an actual backpack. And, when I’m just going to be out for an hour or two I have a small backpack purse that I just shove a couple of diapers and a small package of wipes into. 

If you want to be really efficient you could just put a changing pad and a wipes and diaper container in your hatchback 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Honestly I use to carry everything with my first two (change of clothes, snacks, toys, emergency Band-Aids, diapers, wipes, extra pacifiers etc). But now I’ve seen the light. It’s SO MUCH EASIER to get around with less. I leave all those things in the car, and bring with me the absolute minimal amount (so for a newborn a small bag with diapers, wipes, a burp cloth, an extra onesie and a blanket if it’s cold- that’s the most). If not breastfeeding I can see needing more... but honestly the extra stuff stresses me out more than it helps. 

Open to recommendations for a small backpack type bag that is Machine washable and does not look like a diaper bag! I sold mine after my youngest got potty trained. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    +1 for backpack style. It was important to me that our diaper bag 1. Allow me to be hands free and 2. Be something my husband would be equally willing to use. We did actually go for a back pack diaper bag rather than a regular backpack, which has been fine and we continue to get a lot of mileage out of it. It has an insulated pocket perfect for transporting bottles, pocket for easy access to wipes, as well as a foldable changing pad and small bag for extra diapers (or whatever), all of which I've found to be useful (up until my son reached an age where he was pulling wipes out of the wipes pocket because of how easy it was to get to!) We have just the one diaper bag, which travels with our son all places except for daycare. I'm guessing having 2 kids will change that dynamic so I'm curious what moms who already have two kids found to be useful. For one child, having a diaper bag that traveled with him and was a generic style whomever the caregiver was would feel comfortable using it worked great for us.

Our diaper bag is always stocked with extra diapers, wipes, seasonally appropriate change of clothes, pacifier, lovey, a travel emergency kit with bandaids, nail trimmers, ointment. When my son was a baby it also had a burp cloth, nursing cover, and diaper rash cream.
  • Options
    I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. I agree with all of it. Team backpack
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    BACKPACK! With insulated pouches for carrying bottles. Oh, and for the love of god, don’t spend $$$ on some bougey ass bag! Mine got all kinds of liquids, solids, and unidentifiables in and on it. My diaper bag was ABUSED. 
  • Options
    I agree with backpack style too! But am team actual diaper bag for the waterproof and insulated pockets. My friend brought this one to my house while I was watching her son and I love it! Looks sleek, is less bulky, and opens up fully at the top so you can all of the items in the bag unlike I traditional backpack opening (seeing top only).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722VTCQ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_V3T3JKFPV3N1F0B1K4WH
  • Options
    Maybe I just had a bad experience with my diaper backpack, but it cost like, $60 and fell apart a few months into kid #2. You guys are making me think maybe I was just rough on it... I should admit that the backpack I was using as a diaper bag afterwards also fell apart 😂 but it was only $30. The pockets of a backpack can be used like the pockets on a diaper bag- one for diapers, one for diaper cream and other ointments, and you can just use an insulated lunch box to hold bottles. 

Im feeling super cheap and defensive now 😂 excuse me while I go browse amazon for diaper backpacks and regular backpacks. 
  • Options
    @doodleoodle haha no judgment here! (But check out that link I posted, it was even better in person)
  • Options
    I have just used a regular style Skip Hop diaper bag for my kids and it was never really a problem that it wasn't a backpack because I can usually set it somewhere depending on what we are doing. Usually I can leave it in the car or put it in the stroller so I don't have to carry it. Often I will just bring the little folding changing pad thing with like two diapers and wipes in the zipper part and leave the actual bag in the car. I can see the backpack being handy depending on your lifestyle. And I do switch to a backpack while at the airport.
  • Options
    I have just used a regular style Skip Hop diaper bag for my kids and it was never really a problem that it wasn't a backpack because I can usually set it somewhere depending on what we are doing. Usually I can leave it in the car or put it in the stroller so I don't have to carry it. Often I will just bring the little folding changing pad thing with like two diapers and wipes in the zipper part and leave the actual bag in the car. I can see the backpack being handy depending on your lifestyle. And I do switch to a backpack while at the airport.
    Same here