Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Corpus luteum mass and miscarriage, anyone else?

So this is gonna be a long post, sorry for the long read. Last Thursday at 6 weeks 3 days pregnant I got the worst backache and brownish blood loss at work. I couldn't even stand on my feet anymore so my husband came and rushed me to the hospital. After a long long wait, moaning in pain, the on/gyn assistant came to do an ultrasound. He was very quiet for 10 minutes, just looking at his screen everywhere. Taking pictures and all that. And after that he said "I am sorry but I don't see a pregnancy in the uterus. All I see is a big left adnexal mass that could indicate ectopic pregnancy. I'm gonna call the ob to come in and have a look. But the way I see it is you're gonna need to have surgery today to make sure your ovary doesnt twist/burst/bleed" They hooked me up on all sorts of things, I had a covid test and was ready for surgery at this Point.

So we waited another hour and a half and when they gyn came in, took a look at the Ultrasound. Made a new one himself and immediately found a little fetus with a heartbeat. So we were sent home with good news "Everything is looking brilliant" 

Then comes Monday and I started feeling dizzy/crampy and had a lot of bloodloss except this time it was bright red blood. I decided to look on my lab forms and Found out that on Thursday my progesterone levels were 7.7 which is way too low. As they cramping got worse and the bleeding didnt stop we went to hospital again and guess what.. The tiny little Bean was still there but there was no heartbeat anymore. 

I Cant help but wonder if the corpus luteum cyst could be the problem. And why they didnt tell me about the low progesterone levels. It feels like such an emotional rollercoaster now. Bad news, good news, the worst news. I just don't know what to think of this whole situation. But maybe this is just my hormones playing me. Hope I'll find someone who went through something similar who can Tell me how to Bring up these questions in my next appointment with my OB/GYN. 

Re: Corpus luteum mass and miscarriage, anyone else?

• I'm sorry for your loss.

In the future, I wouldn't bother with going to the ER. They are not trained for that kind of stuff. It's best to call your OB who is familiar with your pregnancy. Is it possible for your OB to look at the ultrasound photos that were originally taken by those in the ER? I would see what the OB has to say about them. At 6 weeks, baby is pretty darn small so depending on how the wand is positioned, I wouldn't be surprised if the assistant couldn't see it and only saw the sac and therefore thought it was a cyst.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • I m really sorry for your loss. I understand how you feel. I went for my first ultrasound at 10 weeks, I was told that my little fetus did not have a heartbeat and stopped growing at 7 weeks. I m sorry for your loss. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s such a painful thing! A corpus luteum cyst is a Normal, necessary finding in pregnancy. It’s where the egg releases from and what secretes progesterone until the placenta takes over, around 10ish weeks, then it dissipates. I’m so sorry you suffered a loss. Praying that you have success when you’re ready to try again
  • Hello! Not sure if I can help but I can definitely relate. Just had my second D&C two days ago. This time around they only found a gest. sac 5 weeks. However they also found a cyst on my ovary. I was also found to be low in progesterone and was prescribed a supplement to start that day of the first ultrasound. What I've decided now is to annoy the crap out of doctors with concerns. Even though they keep telling me the cyst is normal and will probably go away, I'm demanding to keep getting ultrasounds every 3 months, I also asked them to send me all the measurements. I'll definitely be on top of progesterone levels next time around too now. It's like you learn as you go in pregnancy, when it feels like you should know everything up front. I feel for you. I wish you the very best of luck in the future!