November 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Cribs, Travel Cribs, & Sleeping Surfaces

We'll be tackling lots of baby furniture and gear over the next few months, but one of the major focus points of the nursery is the CRIB/BASSINET! So let's start there!

Many people find themselves with a million different sleep surfaces, e.g.: a bedside bassinet for when they're itty bitty, a sturdy crib (which may or may not convert to a toddler bed down the road) for their nursery, travel cribs, a Pack and Play for other areas in the house, and we want to hear about them ALL! Do you like all the bells and whistles like a SNOO? Or perhaps just the minimalist dream of the Finnish Baby in A Cardboard Box tradition? Please share!

(And generally this is a lighthearted space to share cute baby products, but this is a good time and place to share this page linked by the American Academy of Pediatrics on safe sleep habits for babies).

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

(Stolen from July 2021)
Me: 29 | DH: 28
Due: 6 Nov 2021
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Product Spotlight: Cribs, Travel Cribs, & Sleeping Surfaces

• If you have the space, I’m a huge fan of putting the crib into your bedroom instead of a bassinet. It makes the transition to the nursery that much easier. 

I did buy the Halo Bassinest for baby #2, but ended up selling it. It was fine, but kind of unnecessary. 

I have a Graco Pack n Play with a bassinet insert that has lasted through 3 babies and still looks and functions like new. 

As as far as cribs, I have a cheapie one from Ikea. Well, I have two of them because #1 and #2 are so close in age. They work well. I would never spend the money on a 4 n 1 crib because two of my babies have ended up chewing the railing. 
  • I got a crib from Target that could covert to toddler bed (just in case because spacing and ability to reuse it is up in the air, but I wanted the flexibility). My son actually didn't chew on it so it looks like new. 

We also had a bassinet in our room that worked for 2 months and then he wanted to be held all night, so we coslept with a dockatot for a while too instead. Though it worked out well, I was so stressed about sleep safety almost the whole time. This time around we're buying a SNOO for several reasons: that sleep anxiety is terrible so if there's even a chance that our baby will take to it I want it; we're having more kids later; I know 5 people who it worked for in my circle; and it's resale value is great.

The pack n play is great to have on hand for trips, is a safe place for them to play, etc. This time around, we're planning to do SNOO for hopefully 6ish months, PnP thereafter until DS is done with his crib and moved into a toddler bed in his room.
  • Loading the player...
  • So we live in a 1bd home so we will be room sharing and we're looking into a mini-crib that converts into the toddler bed then twin. We were also contemplating a pack & play for G'ma babysitting.  Has anyone felt that even with a crib in the bedroom, that a bedside bassinet was more useful for a time?
  • @gingerale87 I did prefer a bedside bassinet for the first few months at least.  It was nice being able to just sit up and check on him, especially early on when they are waking up constantly.  Once he slept longer chunks at a time we did the pack n play with bassinet because his crib didn't fit in our room.  
  • I did a rock n play for my first three (before the recall obviously). This time I’m looking at the dream on me cradle. I really want a Moses basket but I’m not sure if I’ll go that route. I won’t do the SNOO as this is likely my last baby and I can’t justify the cost. I might buy the snuggle me for naps. 

I’m not going to buy a crib till I need one because I’m not sure where I’m going to put it. I’ll probably have to move around the kids/rooms. I have learned that toddler beds are very inexpensive used. So I won’t care about a 4 in 1 or anything like that. Baby will likely go from a crib to a twin. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker