May 2018 Moms

Pain in both ovaries, 7 weeks pregnant

Yesterday I felt a sharp pain in my left ovary and today I felt it in my right ovary, does that mean I ovulated from both ovaries? Possibly twins? Or singleton pregnancies can experience pain in both as well?  I'm 42 yrs old, this is my 4th.  My family is big (brothers, sister, I have nieces that are having babies) but none of them have had twins, although both of my grandmothers did.  Any experience?

Re: Pain in both ovaries, 7 weeks pregnant

• @cups4 I've heard after you get pregnant you might experience pain in ovaries because of the follicle left after ovulation? 
  • Loading the player...
  • If the pain is that bad, it could be cysts. If it's just a twinge, it's probably just a gas pain. 
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• cantoomom said:
    Yesterday I felt a sharp pain in my left ovary and today I felt it in my right ovary, does that mean I ovulated from both ovaries? Possibly twins? Or singleton pregnancies can experience pain in both as well?  I'm 42 yrs old, this is my 4th.  My family is big (brothers, sister, I have nieces that are having babies) but none of them have had twins, although both of my grandmothers did.  Any experience?
    The only indicator of twins that is legit is an ultrasound.
    I felt twinges on both sides around the time I was ovulating and there is just one baby.  And one healthy baby is just fine by me! Sometimes your body just has pains. And the sharp pains are more than likely rlp or your body stretching and growing to accommodate. 
  • These pains don’t indicate that you’re having twins, as mentioned previously. However, you do have a higher chance of having twins due to your age. 

If you’re experiencing inexplicable pain and it’s really bothering you, you should ask your doctor. 
  • cantoomom said:
    Hi, 
    I only am so informed after going through infertility however naturally it's possible to ovulate from both ovaries, usually though they take turns. 

Have you had your first ultrasound yet? Even though some people have theirs later than week 7, maybe due to your pain you should go and have your OB/midwife check for cysts. You will not be feeling ovarian pain from ovulation now, you only feel it during ovulation. You may be feeling 1 or 2 cysts that are ovarian cysts, or possibly the Corpus Luteum cyst. 

Ovarian cysts however can linger around after ovulation (they are follicles that expand instead of disappearing). They are common and generally resolve themselves naturally if they are small, and if not an OB can advise you. I'd go in and get then to do your scan and check your ovaries. 

The Corpus Luteum on the other hand is a good cyst (cyst just means a sac). Your follicle that was holding the egg that was released turns into a cyst that then releases progesterone until about 12 weeks of pregnancy. 

Twins running in the family has to do with womens hormones that might be genetic - age also increases likelihood of twins as when you near towards the end of your egg supply the body can ramp up and release more eggs. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • This is the same person who made the post about dreaming about your babies....
    That didn't answer my question to her.
  • @ivyvines6 LOL good point.....

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• cantoomomcantoomom member
    edited October 2017
    Sorry ladies, today was my first appointment, and I waited so I could update.  Only one baby there, we are very happy because I know there are less risks in a singleton pregnancy, and somehow being pregnant at 42 scares me a little bit,  heartbeat is 156.  They checked my ovaries and everything looks good, doctor said it is probably ligaments pain.  
    @bumpemma thank you for the info, it helped me to ask more questions to the doctor.
  • lizshulerlizshuler member
    edited April 2021
    I know this post is really old, but given that I had the same questions I figured I'd pop in.  My first pregnancy (ended in MMC), I had sharp pain in my left ovary and was told I had a corpus luteum cyst.  I am now pregnant again at age 35 and felt the same pain in my left ovary.  The next day I had the same pain in my right ovary but it was a little more dull.  Had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and there is a cyst on my left ovary.... and it is twins