November 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diapering

Hi all! It may seem early to start making particular plans about how to deal with baby diapering, but we have a lot of baby topics to cover in the next 7ish months and we want to give each topic its space so... DIAPERING!

Those of you who went the disposable path, do you have any favourite brands? Those of you who went the cloth diapering path, do you have any favourite brands, methods, techniques? Tips on diaper washing if using cloth?

What are people's favorite wipes? How do you store wipes, and do you use a wipe-warmer? What do you stock in case of diaper rash? 

How do you dispose of dirty diapers: do you have a favorite diaper pail? A service that comes to pick up cloth diapers?

And how about your diapering set-up at home: do you have cute diaper caddies you want to recommend or are you comfortable throwing a towel on any surface? Diapering set-up on the road: what do you stash in your diaper bag specifically for diapering purposes?

Or does all of this give you a headache and you prefer to go back to our roots and let your children run naked in the woods and practice free elimination? Ok but seriously - has anyone tried EC? 

Please share!

(Stolen from July 21)
Me: 29 | DH: 28
Due: 6 Nov 2021
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Product Spotlight: Diapering

• I know a few of you have gone the cloth diapering route which DH and I are strongly considering (with only using disposables while traveling for ease for example) but we’re literal NEWBS so please help 😅 I know there’s something about inserts? Someone please speak to me like I’m a child and teach me lol
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• I have used disposable. I don’t do the diaper pails because they start to STINK. I put a plastic diaper bag by the changing table and take it out (outside trash) whenever a poop diaper happens. The most important thing about disposables, is that you make sure that the flaps in the diaper or around the leg to keep out leaks. Then that they are high enough on the back to prevent a blowout. More expensive brands are softer, and smell better. I like to use the Costco diapers which are like Huggies. 

I know lots of people recommend having changing stations all over your house… But I always prefer just to go to the one changing table. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal unless your house is really big I guess. Also my babies all recognized it as what it is, and they dont fight changes. I know it’s because they are used to go into the same spot for a change multiple times a day since birth.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We're a disposable diaper family. We've tried out many brands because you get so many samples, but hands down our favorite has remained Pampers and water wipes. Our son never had a diaper rash and I credit it to those products, though maybe he has tefelon skin lol.

We use the target diaper pails for poop diapers and regular can for pee. It works perfectly well for us. FYI I didn't know this was a FTM, but baby poop could be not stinky for EBF newborns, so we didn't need to use the pails until like 3.5 months. 

Also, we had 2 changing stations since we have 2 floors and at each we had a basket with handles so it was technically portable.
  • I tried cloth diapering with my first child but I didn't keep it up long. It was just so much laundry and a lot of work. Also I didn't like how it made his butt so big in clothes and we also had problems with leaks.

For my son I used Pampers but for some reason they didn't work for my daughter and kept leaking so I switched her to Huggies. I used to buy the Amazon brand baby wipes but they changed them and I don't like them anymore. Now I get Huggies Natural Care or Costco brand.

I have been using the Dekor diaper pail and it has been pretty good. I use regular garbage bags in it because it's cheaper than buying the refills made for the pail. I use a wipe warmer too (the Munchkin one)! I think it's convenient as a place to keep the wipes and it's nice it keeps them warm during winter when the wipes really would get cold. I just change the baby in their room. I use Weleda calendula diaper cream for diaper rash but we don't get that often so I hardly ever use it.
  • We used disposable with DS, pampers were perfect for him.  He also has super sensitive skin, so we used Huggies natural care wipes. He rarely got diaper rashes but we really liked A&D when he did.  

Also didn't use a wipe warmer or diaper pale we just took the poop diapers out to garage trash can then took that out every night.  
  • @jackie_dunny Arlo is still in cloth dipes! Personally, we’ve never found it to be difficult. I’ll try to answer all your questions 😂
    -favorite brand: Mama Koala off Amazon
    -wash: we wash on a small load with powder Tide on hot water. First we do a rinse cycle, level 2 Tide cup, then a regular small cycle run with level 1 Tide cup, and some bleach. Dry normally in the dryer *DO NOT USE DRYER SHEETS!* at our last house, we had pretty hard water, and had to add Calgon so that the dipes would get fully clean. Cloth diaper laundry is a whole fucking science and it takes some trial and error. 
    -we use cloth diaper bags to store the dipes until wash day.
    -when Arlo started eating solids, we started using dipe liners because you couldn’t just rinse out the poo anymore 😞
    -never had a wipes warmer and certainly never gave it a second thought haha
    -I packed disposables in the diaper bag and used them on trips. We also use them overnight because arlo would wake up wet sooo often in cloth (and honestly still does now in a disposable because he drinks water like a friggen camel)
    -we’ve always used Pampers and used to buy the overnight ones, which were always dry in the morning. 
    -he never had diaper rash, so can't help ya there. 
    -we’ve always kept the cloth dipes in the top drawers of his dresser with the changing pad on top. When he was a baby, we had baby blankets galore and would plop him on the floor for changes to avoid going upstairs 🙃

Did I get everything?!
  • @sliztee the first bit was just a prompt, my question was just about cloth diapering in general 😂 but thanks for answering everything! 

This is probably going to sound stupid but what do you do with the poos? Do you just drop them into the toilet? And then just wash the diapers? What are the inserts for? I need to get on google 😂
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• mayoduckmayoduck member
    edited April 2021
    We use disposable diapers. My big thing is that I cannot STAND the perfume-y scent of a lot of diapers. We use Pampers Pure for the diapers and wipes. We use an Ubbi diaper pail, which was awesome for the first year but did absorb smells that were hard to get rid of into the second year. I added an active carbon bag in the pail and that has taken care of the scent enough for now. I like that it uses regular trash bags rather than special bags.
    Also, like @Starynightsky24 having multiple diaper changing stations in the house was not necessary for me. I can see how it may not be practical depending on the house, but walking the the nursery for every change was not a big deal for me.

ETA: Answers to the other questions I apparently ignored..
    We store wipes in a reusable wipe container and we've never used a wipe-warmer or wished we had one. DS did get mild diaper rashes now and again because he did not CARE if his diaper was dirty and so unless we heard or smelled it, we didn't always know right away to change him. We used Aquaphor Baby Healing ointment.

Our changing table set-up was a changing mat secured to the top of a regular dresser. I bought fabric dividers for inside the dresser drawers to make spots for diapers, burp cloths, hygiene products, wipes, etc.

For our diaper bag, I always included several diapers, 1-2 things of wipes, a fold-up pad for changing the baby on, diaper rash ointment, and a little silicone thing for applying the diaper rash ointment so I could keep it off my hands.

I'm also going to add that once DS learned to roll (started back to front at 3.5 months old) and as he became less complacent just hanging out on his back, often the changing table was NOT the easiest place to change him and instead I'd change him on the floor or on a bed where there was a lot more space.
  • I’ve always liked Huggies best. I used Huggies swaddlers until they get to be a little bigger and then use Snug n Dry. Huggies Overnights are great. 

I use Desitin at every diaper change because my kids are prone to rashes from even the smallest exposure.

I am one of those people with multiple changing tables all over the house, but we have a somewhat larger home and I’ve got a whole crew of kids.

dialer pails are more trouble than they’re worth and still stink.

i actually stopped using a diaper bag and just started shoving a few diapers, disposables wipes pack, and change of clothes in a backpack purse.
  • @jackie_dunny You asked, I delivered. Turds you can flush, sure, but it's the softer poos that convinced us we needed liners very early on  :D never turned back...