September 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Rocking Chairs & Gliders w/o 4-5

krash_krash_ member
edited April 2021 in September 2021 Moms
This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... rocking chairs or gliders.

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [rocking chair/glider]:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [rocking chair/glider] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [rocking chair/glider]:

For FTMs:
  • [rocking chair/glider] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Here is the schedule for the product spotlights to keep track of the topics and threads: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BFKfcrp0DX8dvYklwMEyqaex6ixXUoJ2zRbYirApXd4/edit?usp=sharing 
*TW LC*
Me & MH: 32
DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
TTC #2: 12/2019
Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

Re: Product Spotlight: Rocking Chairs & Gliders w/o 4-5

• We have a basic rocking/reclining glider for DS's room that we like. It has a high back which was important for MH and I since we are tall and wanted to be able to rest our head on the back. 

But this Babyletto recliner is like the Cadillac of nursery chairs and I really want to splurge on it! It has power reline which would be so much nicer than the clunky manual recline that we have that wakes up baby after you just rocked them to sleep. It has a phone charging port too!

https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/babyletto-kiwi-swivel-glider-recliner-ottoman-mb/?catalogId=9&sku=3105901&cm_ven=FreePLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Modern Furniture > Nursery Chairs & Ottomans&region_id=765030
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• I didn't buy a chair when we had our son. I already had a lazboy recliner and my grandmother's platform rocker. 

The recliner was helpful in the early infant days when I was still trying to get my son to latch. It's wide enough I could sit cross legged and have pillows on my lap to prop him up higher for more comfortable feeding. 

In the nursery, that is rather small, the platform rocker worked well though. I liked the narrower arms because it helped support my tired arms when holding him. (It's a similar style to this, just slightly less ornate)

If you're on the shorter side, I highly recommend a slanted foot stool (you can search "nursing stool" on amazon or buy buy baby for options). I would have had endless "asleep" legs had I not gotten that. It made rocking/feeding so much more comfortable! 

• Loading the player...
  • @marymh80 added the stool to my registry which is just a list of things I want to buy myself this time around. Thanks!

We will use our rocker from my son for the new baby. It was one of the overpriced Babies R Us ones. 
  • sleepydazesleepydaze member
    edited April 2021
    First, I'm gonna say we really regretted not having a glider for DD. We used an excercise ball but it was more of a pain. So we made sure we had a glider for DS. He totally didn't care if we had a glider or not! Oh, babies. Anyway if you're on the fence, you could always wait until baby comes to see if baby likes being rocked or not.
    • Favorite [rocking chair/glider]: I can't find our chair for some reason. This is a similar product by the same company: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/kidiway-kidiway-santa-klara-bonded-leather-glider-java-santa-klara/10482025
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): We waited for a sale and got ours for about $250  CAD
    • What you like about it: It's not bulky, looks classy enough to be used as a regular living room chair later, and it's really comfortable so even though DS didn't want to be rocked, I was very comfortable while BF.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: I saw a few negative reviews, but we love it and have had no problems!
    • Is there a [rocking chair/glider] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
    • Additional thoughts on [rocking chair/glider]: I would avoid wooden chairs unless it has a pad. We had been given one for DS and found it very uncomfortable. 
    ETA: I'm petite and so found this chair perfect for my size.

• I honestly didn’t do a ton of research before buying this glider. I prioritized having something that would look ok in other situations after our babies are grown. If I was to do it over I’d try and find something a bit more comfortable since I spend SO MUCH TIME in the thing. I didn’t think I’d be able to BF (none of my sisters could) so I wasn’t really thinking of it. 
  • We didn't have a fancy chair for my first but when my husband asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year I requested one.  He did a tonne of research last night and ordered it for me.  He ordered it from wayfair but I'm not entirely sure which chair it is. 
  • Oooh, I almost missed this thread! Gliders are next on our list of nursery furniture to look at. Nursery furniture has been overwhelming. Is it me or does it all start to look the same after a while?