October 2021 Moms

Product spotlight: diapers / diaper bags w/o 4/12

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... Diapering! Disposable, cloth and accessories! 

And let's add in diaper bags! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [diaper/accessory/bags]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [diaper/accessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [diaper/accessory]:

For FTMs:
  • [diaper/accessory/bag] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
Here is the schedule for the product spotlights to keep track of the topics and threads: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sI-VJ1F71kVneOVUjKUs7hEChObe7H8_GufjE1XgzSg/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to offer suggestions for other products or changes you think can be made. This is copied from S21 BMB so thanks to those going before us :-) 

Re: Product spotlight: diapers / diaper bags w/o 4/12

• vampirinavampirina member
    edited April 2021
    Favorite [diaper/accessory/bags]: freshly picked diaper backpack Link/picture: https://freshlypicked.com/products/cognac-classic-diaper-bag
    Cost (either amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $175
    What you like about it: backpack so hands-free! Holds a lot, dirt wipes away easily and it doesn't looks super dowdy. 
    What you don't like about it, if anything: the straps aren't the most comfy if you wear it for looooong periods of time (but normally I toss it in the stroller)
    Is there a [diaper/accessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Additional thoughts on [diaper/accessory]: 
  • Not looking at anything in particular, but in your opinion, what are the most valuable features to have in a diaper bag?
  • Loading the player...
  • @noprobalo both of the ones we’ve had are reasonably priced backpack diaper bags from Amazon. What I’ve found most important is a backpack style- so much easier to wear and leaves both arms free for baby. Also lots of zippered compartments. I don’t like to worry that things will fall out and I also like to have separate compartments so things like wipes, diaper cream, binkies, bottles, my phone etc are easy to find and not all jumbled together 
  • @noprobalo something easy to clean and sturdy,  I agree with backpack style - we had a non-backpack style for our first and it was awful especially once they were walking. I like having a few separate pockets, but I didn't want everything compartmentalized because I find it harder to put all my stuff in there. I like.using zippered removable pouches to contain stuff rather than built in compartments - but I know many like the compartments!  I also like having one insulated pocket to keep a bottle cold for an hour or two without a full extra cooler for when DH was taking short trips. It was also important to me that it looked "cute" because so many motherhood things are our function and I I birthed these babies and damnit I deserve cute things 🤪 
  • @noprobalo I found a cooler compartment absolutely essential for bottles.
  • galentinegalentine member
    edited April 2021
    I don't like the diaper bag I used/use with DD. I got a cheap one on Amazon, and it has a weird closure and the zipper frequently gets off track. Ironically, with the pandemic we never go anywhere so I have only had to use it on a handful of occasions. I plan on upgrading for #2 and I want something pretty!

@vampirina, your link isn't working for me, but I think that's the exact bag I have my eye on. Does it come in full size and mini? If so, which size do you use?
  • @galentine I just updated the link! The formatting got lost when I hit "post." I have the full sized one since I had two kids in diapers when #2 was born and its perfect for two kids. I think it'll be great for three kids too, since my older two will hopefully be done with diapers (but i obviously still need a backup pants and a few other things for them, jic). I use removable zippered pouches to keep their stuff separated and filled the pockets with the stuff they shared (like snacks, sunscreen, etc.) Its quite roomy and held up well! I've had it for 2 years now, though admittedly it didn't get a ton if use in 2020. 
  • We’ve been using mostly Target brand diapers and wipes and have liked them a lot. Much cheaper than Pampers which is what we started with, and I think they’re of similar quality. We can also get them shipped to home for free with 5% off since we have the Target Red Card (they have a debit card option if you don’t want another credit card, that’s what we have).

Also another vote for a backpack style diaper bag, although we haven’t left the house much since Covid so I’ll need to reevaluate what we need to bring when we go out. We also have emergency kits in our cars with spare clothes, wipes, diapers, and a few other things. Need to update those too - I’m sure the sizes are outdated! 🤣

We also have the Skip Hop Changing Pad which we keep in the diaper bag and really like. When we’re going somewhere quick, I’ve just put that in my purse (with diapers and wipes stored in it) and been good to go! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077KDVDR7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9D0MD3V9PTTAWTBNZQ3W
  • Whatever you do, get a backpack style. 

Any TTM+ have a suggestion for diaper bags big enough for 2? I’m hoping by the time baby buy arrives, we will be fully potty trained (she’s honestly doing really well) but for things like snacks or a book or a toy in there for her while also having room for all of his needs. Thoughts?
    TTC History

Me: 26 DH: 27

TTC #1 | June '18-August '18 | DD | Born April 21, 2019 | Due May 10, 2019

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

TTC#2 | June '20-February '21 | DS | Due October 27, 2021

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• @chindimples04 I can’t find the diaper backpack I got off of Amazon now but it has worked pretty well with having 2 in diapers (I will once again have 2 in diapers possibly 3 if potty training doesn’t succeed this summer lol). For shorter outings like a doctor’s visit or family dinner it has worked for both kids stuff! If we’re spending a whole day at my parents or something i got a little skiphop backpack for my toddler to have his own stuff in. We also use that if one of us is just bringing him somewhere. 
  • @momofmiracles31889 that’s actually a really good idea! DD loves carrying a backpack around! 
    TTC History

Me: 26 DH: 27

TTC #1 | June '18-August '18 | DD | Born April 21, 2019 | Due May 10, 2019

TTC#2 | June '20-February '21 | DS | Due October 27, 2021

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Favorite [diaper/accessory/bags]: Hello BelloLink/picture: https://hellobello.com/Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$What you like about it: automatic shipment, soft, cute designs, ships with wipes.What you don't like about it, if anything:Is there a [diaper/accessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?:Additional thoughts on [diaper/accessory]:
    I can't figure out how to get rid of bullets :( I'm like @cait32 and never got an "official" diaper bag. Hippie, so I used an old cross-body yoga bag when I wasn't using a stroller, and a coworker gave me an official diaper bag that connected to the stroller.... which I used some but was actually ginormous and I hated it. Yoga bag for life. 
    Best diapers: Hello Bello auto delivery!! They started their company when my DD was just a few weeks old and like every night 2-4 AM I was on the internet buying truly ridiculous things. I was probably in their first 50 customers, and it's the one middle of the night purchase I do not regret (I literally think I spent $3-5K on amazon in the first 4 months she was alive. I've refused to go back and add it all up). They're a good price and you can usually get BOGO for your first set, the diapers are v soft (softer than some other natural brands), v cute designs, most designs have a pee indicator if you're into that, the sizing is great, they didn't leak on my string bean baby (you will find dift diapers work for dift baby body sizes), and I never had to worry about running out and going to the store last minute for more diapers. They also have bath products that smell pretty good (we've used their baby shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and I think bubble bath?). High recommend.
    Lastly, my formula diaper bag hack. DD started on formula due to some pretty severe allergies (that she's grown out of!) around 5 months. Medela brand storage bottles (for pumping but I put the formula powder into them) fit perfectly into Phillips Avent Bottles (small size storage tubes in the small bottles; tall size in the tall bottles). It was SUCH a diaper bag lifesaver. When DD needed a bottle I just had to find the bottle, pour in the pre-measured formula, add water, shake it up, voila. :chefs kiss: This was my one true mom hack genius moment.
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I added this to my registry. Love the look of it and thought the accordion bassinet was so cool!!! 
  • @cait32 I purchased FURNITURE I did not remember even looking at. Nothing too big (a cute bookshelf, an end table, stuff like that). But how dumb. I swear we had packages showing up constantly and DH would just slowly shake his head.
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @chindimples04 it really works out well my son loves having his too! Got him a cute fox one. It fits all his essentials for a day out (a sippy cup, some pull ups and wipes, a change of clothes, a blanket and lovey for his nap, some snacks and a few small toys or books. It’s great! 
  • @madiirosee I've been looking at those too, but I'm worried that the kiddo will outgrow it too quickly to make it worth it. DS was just shy of 23" at birth. But so many men's bathrooms don't have places to change a baby. 

I had 3 diaper bags with DS - a giant one from some multi-level marketing brand that my mom got me, a medium purse-looking one, and a small Mickey Mouse one that DH picked out. We used the giant one constantly, the Mickey one was junk and the zipper broke almost immediately, and the purse one was fine. Moving stuff between bags is annoying.

For diapers, if you're thinking about doing cloth, my advice is DO IT! It didn't work with my life with DS, but I've only heard good things about it from people who've done it. I'm thinking about doing it with this baby.

Disposable diapers - Costco diapers are good for chubby babies, but will leak on skinny babies.
  • My advice regarding diapers is to not stock up until your baby arrives because kids really need different things and at different stages of their lives. Huggies were terrible for my son, but great for my  daughter, so we had to adjust and get rid of all the stuff we collected that did not work for her. 
  • We have had success with mama bear diapers from Amazon- their hypoallergenic ones are so much cheaper than any other hypoallergenic brand and both our boys have very sensitive skin. Regular pampers gave DS2 a terrible diaper rash- only even tried them bc a friend passed on a bunch for free. I love hello bello diapers because they’re softer and cuter but with having kiddos so close together we’ve been going through lots of diapers so I’ve been getting the Amazon ones mostly. Water wipes are the best but pretty expensive, huggies natural care have worked well for us 
  • My favorite brand of diaper bag is jujube. Literally any bag they make, they’re all amazing. I have a back pack for travel and a mini hobo style bag. It’s small but has so many pockets it fits everything. 
  • or S+TMs:
    • Favorite [diaper/accessory/bags]: Petunia Pickle Bottom for diaper bags. They are very well made and have overhauled their design aesthetic to things much more modern, current, and higher quality fabrics. Though you can’t buy this one on the website anymore it’s the coated canvas Pathway Pack by PPB. I had the cream/black version for DD and carried that (and no purse) for over 2 years. I got the grey/black colorway on sale before my MMC last year.
    • Link/picture: here is the closest thing they sell now: https://petunia.com/collections/diaper-bags/products/boxy-backpack-in-graphite-black-colorblock

• The picture is the one I have.
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I got mine on sale for around $100. Their bags are reasonable for the quality starting at $50 on clearance to $220 if you want a limited edition Disney one.
    • What you like about it: my version has a removable changing pad you can throw in the wash. It has two side pockets, a giant main interior with a laptop pocket, two front pockets and a zippered pocket underneath the top flap. You can wear it as a backpack, on your shoulder or as a crossbody. With the shoulder strap you can hang it on a stroller so easy without stroller clips. You can take the shoulder strap completely off.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: there are not insulated pockets. I always carry a very petite “lunch bag” with snacks/bottles and an ice pack though. The coated canvas wipes off but can pick up stains if it gets soaked or submerged. This is why I got the charcoal colorway and will just be careful this time not to let pink juice spill all in it without cleaning it immediately.
    • Is there a [diaper/accessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?: PPB also sells a lot of modular storage/pouches/bottle bags that go inside the bags I think I’ll check out this time.
    • Additional thoughts on [diaper/accessory]: I like how I would get compliments on my “purse” or “bag” all the time and literally no one suspected it was a diaper bag!
    For S+TMs:
    • Favorite [diaper]: Pampers Swaddlers
    • Link/picture:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): mid-range for diapers
    • What you like about it: wetness indicator, very soft, never caused rashes on DD, not as expensive as diaper subscriptions, available in every store (pharmacy chains, big box retailers, online, grocery stores), notch in the front on newborn sizes, rises up in the back to avoid blowouts, good for skinny legged babies.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: no cute prints, more expensive than Kirkland/Target brand/etc., and they have crap like dioxin, phthalates, and sodium polycrylate.
    • Is there a [diaper/accessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I bought some Honest Company diapers at Rite Aid on a BOGO and Hello Bello at CVS on a BOGO deal too. I’m excited to try them out.
    • Additional thoughts on [diaper/accessory]: a diaper genie was and is a must have for us, cloth diapering is just not for our family, I’d love to use plant-based diapers without the crap ingredients but they just don’t work the same imho.