Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Pregnancy Miscarriage

Hello everyone,
My first pregnancy I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks. There was a heart beat at 7 weeks. I was told everything was good. Than a couple days later I had sex and I started to spot a bit. I researched online and found it to be quite normal to spot a little and bleed a few days after sex. I was spotting/bleeding a bit but it was on and off. It was not very heavy at all. There were no blood clots, no cramps, no pain whatsoever. However I still made an appoinment with my doctor. He told me since there was a heartbeat last week I shouldn't be too concerned. He even told me that his wife was bleeding a lot during her 2nd pregnancy and everything turned out well. When he did the ultrasound his face dropped. He said there was no heartbeat. He asked if I wanted to wait to misscarry naturally or have a D&C. I was shocked and extremely sad and I chose D&C. I didn't want to bleed for days, or even weeks. After the D&C I stopped bleeding immediately and haven't bleed since. The doctor sent me fetus to a lab for genetic and chromosomal microarray analysis. 

I cried for days after my D&C. I was sooo looking forward to having a baby. I read many studies. Some studies say its safe to get pregnant within 6 months. Other studies say to not get pregnant within 18 months. While other studies say it's better to get pregnant within 4 months after miscarriage because "the chance of having another misscarriage in couples who try to conceive within three months of a miscarriage may be more likely to become pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy than those who wait longer." So I do not what to do. My periods have always been irregular. I can have a regular period for 2 months. Than not have a period at all for 3 months. Than I can have it for 1 month and  than skip 1 or 2 months. How long should I wait before trying again to get pregnant? 

During my research I found that taking low dose aspirin helps prevent miscarriage. Some studies say to take it before you even get pregnant. Some studies to take it after you get pregnant. I am not sure when and for how long I should take it. 

From my research I found these:
1. Low dose aspirin https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091MEIKG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1XRZWQS1QYCJJ&psc=1
2. Prenantal vitamin https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IP8BC8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 
(I used to take https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BBNRSBJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
3. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6BG9CU/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1K89ACX6SYJH&psc=1

Can I take them all everyday to prevent miscarriage? I used to just take https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BBNRSBJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but obviously it wasn't enough to prevent a miscarriage. 

Any help would ge greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Re: Pregnancy Miscarriage

• *Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the typo I am not sure how to edit original post.
  • I'm sorry for your loss.  First, some back story.  I've had 5 MCs.  I also have had irregular periods, anywhere from 27-59 days.  I highly recommend reading a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility and doing basal body temping (BBT - which the book will explain how to do).  With irregular periods, this may be the only way you can tell if you are ovulating or not.  This is especially helpful after a MC, as it can take your body time to regulate out to a new 'normal' and you may experience symptoms you've never had before, and/or NOT experience symptoms you've always had.  FYI.

Honestly, there's only a few conditions where taking baby aspirin would be beneficial to your PG.  There's also at least one condition where it will harm you.  I wouldn't just willy-nilly start taking medications (even baby aspirin) without first discussing it with your doctor and/or having testing done.

Please do NOT buy in to the "you are more fertile within 3 months of having a MC" myth.  It's a complete myth and I wish it would stop being thrown about so casually.  Your chance of getting PG the month after MC is the same percent change it is a year from having your MC.  I personally have gotten PG a few cycles later, and I've also gotten PG a year+ later, and all of mine ended up in MC.  Honestly, I've seen a LOT of women cycle through here, they get PG and have a MC and are devastated.  However, the odds ARE in your favor.  The vast majority of those women go on to get PG again within a year and have a living child.  Occasionally someone will have a second early MC or CP, and then go on to get PG a 3rd time within a year and go on to have a living child.  Unfortunately, I am an anomaly.  

That being said, I would absolutely 100% advocate not only for the BBT charting, but for you to at least bench yourself until after your next cycle (but also, check with your doctor.  YOUR circumstances may cause them to want you to be benched for 2-3 cycles, which I've also had to do with some of my losses.).  I have also seen many women come in here, be all gung ho about "not wanting to wait" and TTCAL immediately, and then they end up with BFPs and are uncertain if the positive is from HCG from a new PG, or HCG from the previous PG.  So make sure you are cleared, that your doctor said all the tissue was removed in your D&C, and that your HCG has lowered to 0 before attempting PG again.

Finally, prenatal vitamins do NOT stop MC from happening.  If you're going to MC, nothing will help you. It will happen. With only 1 MC chances are much higher that you are just in that 1 in 4 range of experience. In fact, most doctors will say it's still common for you to have 2 MCs without it indicating a problem beyond just bad luck.  However, if you reach the stage where you must count yourself as a Recurrent Pregnancy Loss sufferer, you can get panels of testing done to attempt to determine if there is a cause.  Hopefully with your ability to have the fetal remains tested, the doctor can give you a better insight as to the cause of this particular MC, and if it has a possibility of being something that may be recurrent or not (and thus, better ideas of what you may expect/experience going forward).
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Loading the player...
  • @stormageddondarklordofall thank you very much for your insight. I appericate it. Sorry about all your miscarriages as well. :(