Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Misoprostol Experience

I’ve been lurking for a week or so since discovering my miscarriage. I just want to share my misoprostol experience. I had my first miscarriage. We discovered at 8 weeks the baby had stopped growing at 6w3d. My doctor gave me the option of waiting to naturally miscarry, take misoprostol or schedule a d&c. I waited a week then took the misoprostol last night. I was so hyped up from all of the HORROR stories I had read online about misoprostol. I mean, it is horrific having to take it in the first place but my experience was not nearly as bad as I expected. 

I inserted 4 pills vaginally at 11:15pm before bed. I could not decide whether to do it before bed or in the morning. I am SO glad I did it before bed. At 4am I woke up with minor cramping, no bleeding yet. I took some ibuprofen and went back to sleep. At 7am I woke up with pretty intense period like cramping. I went to the bathroom and felt a pop. I’m almost positive it all passed. The cramping immediately stopped. I now have a moderate period like flow 5 hours later, no cramps. 

I know everyone’s experience is different but I read so many terrible things about misoprostol. It scared me. A lot. I just want women to know that not everyone’s experience is all that painful/terrible. (Yes, it is terrible to even have to be in the position to have to take it but you know what I mean)

I will update on any further symptoms and I will see Wednesday if everything passed. 

I hope this helps ease the mind of anyone searching the web before having to do such a terrible thing. 
TTC History:
Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
BFP November 2015
Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

Re: Misoprostol Experience

• grogugrogu member
    I'm glad your experience wasn't traumatic. 
    AFM, I took mine orally at bed as instructed by the OB, woke up at 3am in the most intense pain I've ever felt. Somehow managed to get to the bathroom without waking MH then passed out for who knows how long before I came to and was able to call MH for help. I'm lucky I didn't hit my head or injure myself. 
    It was honestly the worst experience of my life and if I ever had to go through with a loss again, I'd opt for a D&C over the meds. 
  • @grogu I am so sorry you had that experience.  And from everything I have read, you are certainly not alone.  There are no shortage of terrible stories about misoprostol out there.

Although that is why I felt the need to share that not everyone has such a terrible experience. (As if loosing your baby isn't terrible enough, I know.)
    TTC History:

BFP November 2015

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

• Loading the player...
  • Just to update, I had my follow up today.  I still have some clots but otherwise I was cleared by my OB with no need to return. He is not even checking my HCG levels. 

He even said we could start trying again a week after the bleeding stops.  No need to wait for another cycle to start. His logic - you will ovulate once before you get a period, no need to waste a cycle.  Obviously, I know some doctors may recommend something different and depending on your specific circumstances but this is just what mine has told me. 
    TTC History:

BFP November 2015

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

• @ReadyForaB I'm all for following your doctor's advice, but I'd also like to add a word of caution in here.  Cycles after a MC can be extremely wonky.  If you aren't planning to track your hcg down to 0, and you aren't planning to temperature track, I'd most definitely wait to try until after your first AF.  Reasons are this, I can NOT count the number of times women have come back into these forums, 4-5 weeks after MC being all "I had my MC on  and we DTD around the time I normally O, and now I'm getting faint positive tests, but am spotting.  Should I be worried?"  And the answer is... NO one knows.  If you didn't track your HCG to 0, and you didn't temperature chart to be able to see if you O'd, then you have absolutely NO idea if that BFP is a new PG, or residual HCG being picked up from your MC because you haven't actually finished MCing yet (which, depending on circumstances, can take several days or several months to 'end' and get the HCG out of your cycle.  I know several people who took close to 6 months for that to happen.)  

And trust me, I understand the desperation to try again as soon as you can.  But in my opinion, sitting out one more month to ensure you have accurate results and less stress is absolutely always the way to go. Unless there's some medical reason you absolutely can NOT wait one cycle, patience is the answer...
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• ReadyForaBReadyForaB member
    edited March 2021
    @stormageddon-darklordofall Thank you for the advice.

I actually am temperature checking (started about three days ago) and redownloaded by FF from last go around five years ago. 

I have been taking HPTs and seeing the line get lighter and lighter. 

I am confident that my temp checking will give me a good idea and if I do happen to think I am pregnant my doctor will make sure my levels are doubling. 

I don't want to waste a cycle, like my doctor said, but I honestly don't have much faith in getting pregnant on month 1 of trying either.  We will see how it goes I suppose. 

edit because of typos
    TTC History:

BFP November 2015

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

• @ReadyForaB If you're taking HPTs to see your HCG drop and temping to watch for O, then you should be ok!   
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• annawhartonannawharton member
    edited June 2022
    Misoprostol tablet is the best medicine to prevent stomach ulcers caused by anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) and is also used to end an early pregnancy. It is mostly used to do abortions. It is effectively used up to 8 weeks of gestation. Above 8 weeks you must have to use a combo of Mifepristone and Misoprostol pill. So, buy Abortion Pill online USA which is a combo of these 2 medicines.

For more check out : https://daynighthealthcare.com/product/abortion-kit
  • @ReadyForaB I don’t know if you’re still in here but thank you for sharing your experience. I am taking Misoprostol Tuesday and I am terrified from the horror stories. 
  • @andah_ I did it one other time since posting this.  I had the same experience.  You will be okay. 
    TTC History:

BFP November 2015

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

• @ReadyForaB I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this multiple times. I really appreciate your input.
  • kittymama51kittymama51 member
    edited October 2022
  • Thanks for sharing. I had my first ultrasound a few days ago and found out at 6 weeks the embryo stopped growing. My dr gave me the same options. Im currently waiting  a few more  days to see if the tissue will start to pass naturally but since its been almost 4 weeks since the embyro was growing i feel i probably will have to do medical treatment or have a D&C. I’am leaning toward medical treatment but all options seem scary. 
  • @ReadyForaB thank you for sharing. I just took misoprostol a week ago and reading this made me feel a lot better about my decision. I took the medicine on Thursday and had some normal period bleeding but started heavily bleeding on Monday. I think most of it has now past and I am just having light bleeding now.

I was also wondering when it is safe to start trying again so it’s good to know your Dr said you can try again right away. I am planning to wait until my next period but my husband is worried that even that is too early. We had a chemical pregnancy is July and I really don’t want to wait too long. Does anyone know if you are more likely to miscarry again if you get pregnant soon after?
  • ********************** TW - CURRENT PREGNANCY ***********************

@sbaby2023 I took misoprostol for the second time in June.  My doctor told me there was no need to wait.  I got another positive in September and I am now 9 weeks along. 
    TTC History:

BFP November 2015

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

• @ReadyForaB I’m am glad to hear that! Congrats and I hope you have a smooth and healthy pregnancy 
  • Wow, Thankyou for sharing your experience. I have the pills ready to go in my cupboard, but have been pretty freaked out to go through with it. I am so torn between taking the pills and scheduling a dnc. Thankyou for the encouragement and reminder that everyone’s experience is different!
  • I took the pills last summer, during the day. It was rough for about 2 hours (cramps,nausea, dizziness, feeling feverish) then the tissue passed & I was immediately relieved of the symptoms. It’s not a walk in the park but certainly something one can make it through if they choose that path. 
  • cindy233cindy233 Newbie
    edited January 2023
    Misoprostol may cause miscarriage and premature birth . It works well as a means of deliberately inducing labor, including pharmacological abortion. In this respect, it is most effective when given together with mifepristone.More information can be found at: https://www.safe-abortion.org/misoprostol/