October 2021 Moms
Options

FFFC - 3.19

Re: FFFC - 3.19

• Options
    gingermama46gingermama46 member
    edited March 2021
    I have too many social things this weekend. Supposed to see 2 friends tonight(in our pod), then a zoom with the larger group of friends Saturday, then my mom is coming to watch DS Sunday and staying for dinner. And it all just feels too much. I saw this yesterday and this is me 😂

• Options
    I'm so over cancel culture. I get (and ageee with) not wanting support certain people or companies over their beliefs and actions, but also no one should be expected to live life so perfectly from the get go. People learn and grow and change. No one should be getting fired for, say, an inappropriate tweet when they were 16, or going to an insensitive-themed party 20+ years ago. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
    @galentine Companies, sure. Don't spend money on products or services made by a company you find loathsome. No reason to. But individuals' lives get destroyed when the mob comes for them, whether they did something that reflected poor judgment years ago or they have opinions that are temporarily unpopular. My husband was subject to a cancel campaign because he was involved in a local development project that turned political, and one side decided to try to cancel him. They called his office and swore at the receptionist trying to get him fired, called our church to slander him, and delivered physical threats using throwaway identities. Luckily his employer understood that these were unhinged individuals, and now the mob has moved on to other things. But for a while it was truly scary whether he would be fired over this or if we would be accosted in our neighborhood. Cancel culture is awful.
  • Options
    @vampirina and @noprobalo are we talking racism or just insensitive tweets? Because I think people should absolutely be held accountable for words and actions that are directly harmful to other human beings. Like freedom of speech is absolutely a thing, but you’re not free from the consequences of your words and actions. I agree with basically everything @galentine said. And I fully believe in growth and change, if you have in fact grown and changed.
  • Options
    @heatherdubrow I am talking tactics used by people who want to cancel other people. When any sense of proportion to the perceived offense is thrown out the window, it is not a force of positive change, only destruction. Regular old non-public-figure individuals getting fired from their jobs or doxxed because they hold opinions other people don't like, absolutely unconnected to anything race-based.
  • Options
    vampirinavampirina member
    edited March 2021
    I think its one thing to say "wow, that thing you said/did/support is messed up. I'm not going to support you." And another to say "Wow you messed up 15 years ago when you weren't even an adult, and I'm still going to hold this against you, even though you've demonstrated that you no longer feel or act this way."
  • Options
    Confession: I lurked the Sept HDBD thread and was aghast at how many people are already posting pics of their whole face on the internet. Have they no stranger danger?? 🙈
  • Options
    @galentine what, exactly, is the world going to do with my face?
  • Options
    vampirina said:
    @galentine what, exactly, is the world going to do with my face?
    People you know could identify you by your photos (maybe not relevant to everyone, but I haven't shared my pregnancy news with anyone yet and wouldn't want to be outed that way). Plus people could steal your photos and pass them off as their own. I'll never be able to find them now, but there are several threads on The Bump with this exact thing happening: catfish caught impersonating pregnant women by using stolen photos they found online. I suppose people could do that with headless photos too, but then at least your face isn't floating around.
  • Options
    I don't post pictures on TB since it seems like such a hassle 🤣. But that totally makes sense. 
  • Options
    @vampirina also from my experience these forums get rather personal and people share a lot about themselves because they have comfort in anonymity which is why many people come here over other groups so it’s always surprising to me when they share more on their identity so early on.