September 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags w/o 3-8

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... diaper bags!

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [Diaper Bag]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [Diaper Bag] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [Diaper Bag]:

For FTMs:
  • [Diaper Bag] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Here is the schedule for the product spotlights to keep track of the topics and threads: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BFKfcrp0DX8dvYklwMEyqaex6ixXUoJ2zRbYirApXd4/edit?usp=sharing 
*TW LC*
Me & MH: 32
DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
TTC #2: 12/2019
Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

Re: Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags w/o 3-8

• krash_krash_ member
    edited March 2021
    • Favorite [Diaper Bag]: HapTim backpack diaper bag from Amazon
    • Link/picture: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCWVQN1/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2IMO2E73QIGQT
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $40
    • What you like about it: So many compartments! It will hold everything you need! We have flown with this and packed enough to cover like 6 outfit changes from blow outs. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: It's big and that's the point but sometimes I wanted smaller. 
    • Is there a [Diaper Bag] you don't have but are considering? Why?: None
    • Additional thoughts on [Diaper Bag]: We also had a Babymel diaper bag that I loved but I spilled a bottle in it and the rotten milk smell never came out of the leather. I also got a Freshly Picked diaper backpack when DS was a little older and didn't require as much stuff but I can barely fit my wallet in it and there wouldn't be enough for all the baby stuff. MH also had a lot of opinions about diaper bags. He wanted a backpack (which I did as well) but he didn't want anything that looked too girly or too small and dainty on his back. I didn't want to have multiple diaper bags to switch between so we compromised. He didn't mind the Babymel backpack but he doesn't like the FP one. 

ETA: this is the Babymel one we had https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9NS30F/ref=twister_B07TB5SZNY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also the wipe pockets are basically pointless. The openings never line up with the opening on the wipes. Just take the wipes out of the pocket to get one out. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• I have this skip hop one. I like that it's deep but not huge. It has built in stroller straps that are handy. And I used to take my son to church on my own, so the exterior key clip made getting in and out of the car SO much easier. 

I like that it's convenient to use as a diaper bag, but doesn't scream "BABY!!!"

• Loading the player...
  • I just want to add that I IMMENSELY prefer back pack style to any other style. So much easier to deal with and keep as the kiddos get bigger.
  • For S+TMs:
    • Favorite [Diaper Bag]: Petunia Pickle Bottom backpack 
    • Link/picture: https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/petunia-pickle-bottom-boxy-backpack-diaper-bag-in-moonless-rose/5391189?categoryId=32034 -- I don't have this exact one, but one that's just an older model - looks like it's exactly the same except for color and stitching is slightly different 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): about $200, but I got mine used on FB marketplace for $30 in perfect condition.
    • What you like about it: for DS1 I had a Vera Bradley diaper bag, but I much prefer the backpack - especially with multiple kids. Also the Petunia Pickle Bottom bag doesn't look it - but is much roomier than the Vera Bradley bag. It's also just really good quality, has a lot of different size pockets for organization, and is comfortable to wear. I like that it's wider rather than taller like a lot of other backpacks are - you don't have to dig around for stuff. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: you can't just throw it in the washer - it's spot clean only...but I put it in a pillowcase threw it in the washer on delicate and nothing bad happened so...do what you will. 
    • Is there a [Diaper Bag] you don't have but are considering? Why?: nope!
    • Additional thoughts on [Diaper Bag]: Honestly...I live the risky life and don't really use the diaper bag unless we are going out for an all day trip or going to someone's house for more than a few hours. I keep a few diapers, change of clothes, and a thing of wipes in my car at all times for emergencies, but trips to the store, or outside adventures - the diaper bag stays home. 
  • I’d contribute to this post but I don’t think anybody is going to want a $1700 diaper bag. My husbands boss (at the time) literally had a messenger deliver a Gucci diaper bag to our front porch as a shower gift for DD!!!! I almost puked!!!! I was afraid to use it or touch it for 3 weeks but now I haven’t used anything else. I have to say, it really holds up and is extremely functional with deep pockets and great compartments but for that price it better be!!!! 
  • I have a skip hop diaper backpack, which is okay. I would actually recommend taking a look at diaper bags in general and if you can, try them on, practice carrying them around a little bit. If you can throw in some really heavy product, you'll have a good idea of how it'll feel hanging off your shoulder etc. I find diaper bags are quite personal in taste so would just think about:

Are you going to be carrying this long distances? (Backpack and waterproof might be more ideal)

What kind of organization system you prefer (while pockets are nice, you might find some have too little or too many pockets are too confusing to remember where your things are), do you prefer a bottles pocket?

Size (too big for storing under your stroller? Too small too fit in multiple outfits and bottles?)

Quality 

And obviously, style. This may be your new purse for the next year or two, haha!
  • This time around I’m just going to throw a diaper in my pocket and call it a day. 

Seriously though, hated the diaper bag. I’ll probably put a pack of diapers, a few changes of clothes and a pack of wipes in a basket in the car then just throw the little stuff in my purse.