July 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 03/10: Health & Safety

Today I'm asking for contributions to discuss generally on the topic of Health and Safety, which admittedly is a pretty broad topic! How do we keep our babies healthy? How do we keep our babies safe? That's, like, all of parenthood!

I think in a most immediate sense, let's think about stocking our first aid kits and medicine cabinets: what kind of thermometer do you have for babies? Do you use Infant Tylenol or Advil? If so, when? For a fever, or discomfort, or teething? If the baby is congested, do you use one of those manual bulb snot-extractors or do you swear by the Nose Frida? (And... on the other end... have you tried the Windi?) And speaking of gassy babies, do you use any products for that, like gripe water? How about keeping those sharp little talon nails safe from scratching their face? Do you clip, file, bite, or use one of those motorized kits?

And then there are outlier items that most people may not stock but some people love: do you have an owlet monitor? Humidifier/air purifier? Crib-rail covers for baby to chew on? 

The big safety topic down the road is baby-proofing, which we will likely discuss once our babies are out and mobile, but if anyone has pressing advice or product recs to share with FTMs to keep in mind for the future, don't hesitate to speak up!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlight

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 03/10: Health & Safety

• Options
    I used the thermometer that came in my welcome packet from the insurance until we lost it. 

I love Camilia for teething. I use tempra on the really bad teething days but these are very rare occurrences and Baby Advil if it's REALLY bad - luckily only 1 day of this. We've been lucky enough to only ever a fever 1 time in his life and it was after his dairy allergy challenge so it was likely allergy related so I gave him his 2nd dose of allergy medicine and it went away. 

Nose Frida is AMAZING. Best investment. Definitely recommend it. Bbluv electric nail filer is great and super easy to keep those nails short. My son had eczema so I cut his nails all the time since he would scratch his head and face. I still use the bbluv nail filer on him. 

My son never chewed on his crib and Amsterdam is super humid so we never needed anything. I do have a Dyson air purifier upstairs but that's about it. And that reminds me I need a new filter. 

For cradle cap - mustela cradle cap foam. It's great. 

• Options
    We tried a bunch of different thermometer types but ended up getting the forehead reader one because our kiddo is/was squirmy and we could never keep a thermometer in his underarm or other for long enough to take a read.

Our poor kiddo was also subjected to infant Tylenol on the first day of his life because of his forceps delivery so since then I just have always had a bottle of Tylenol kicking around and find it very useful for teething and colds. I also second that you NEED a Nose Frida.  And a good saline mist or drops.

Our kiddo also had eczema so we kept his hands covered most of the time, and used clippers and files to keep the nails under control. Bring clippers to the hospital with you!! Those newborn nails are ridiculously long LOL. 

We do have a rubber crib rail protector, our kid chewed the crap out of the crib - once we stayed over at our in-laws and I found my child in the middle of the night with white paint all over his face because he had been gnawing on the crib all night LOL omg, what a guy.

We live in a dry dry climate so a humidifier is basically essential for about 8 months of the year, as well is handy when ds has a cough or cold.  We just have a Homedics one but I find it difficult to clean, so I'd say if you were looking to find one that comes apart very well so that all parts are easy to clean - they need to be sanitized regularly because water=mold and nasties and then that gets spewed into the air... yuck.

I can't really remember now what else for baby - stock up on Vaseline, it's super handy to have for all sorts of things but especially eczema and bum rash (and if you're going the circumcision route as well). 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We use an ear thermometer, mostly stick with infant Tylenol and only give it if baby has a fever or is MAD and we can’t figure out why. Our pedi said no Orajel type teething pain reliever at all so we have never used them. We use gas drops, tried gripe water as well but it didn’t do anything for us and as far as I know, isn’t really science-backed as being effective. Little Remedies is what we use for both gas and saline drops. We do saline and Nose Frida - we have many Frida products. Windii, nail clippers, etc. 

We have a humidifier in each child’s room and I like to have air circulating in whatever room baby is sleeping in. We don’t have an owlet, I am VERY triggered by alarms after having both kids in the nicu and I wouldn’t trust them anyway, so for my anxiety I just make the sleep area as safe as possible. We follow safe sleep pretty much to a T unless there is something questionable - like babies not being swaddled after 8 weeks even if they’re not rolling over - ONE pediatrician this one time and it’s taken as law. Meanwhile both my kids have rolled later bc of developmental delays. But we do completely bare, separate sleep environment. No bed sharing for us (I’m not saying it can’t be safe, I’m saying it doesn’t work for my anxiety), no loveys, blankets, crib bumpers, nothing. No crib rails or anything here, we’ve never had an issue with them biting it. 

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I am the same with safe sleep. And that rolling recommendation, if you read the actual guideline, it only uses 8 weeks as an example because many do then but it says stop when YOUR baby shows signs of rolling. It just gets misinterpreted as 2 months/8 weeks. It’s the only one that I didn’t follow but once he started breaking out of the swaddle around 10-11 weeks, I switched him. 

• Options
    Thanks for doing these @AKuzReve
    For a thermometer we do have a rectal on, it was good way back when but I may switch over to something else.  It's very short so I'm not sure I could damage anything which I think is the major concern with the rectal ones.
    We've used both, just keep in mind you can't use Ibprophen until they are 6 months so no use stocking up now.  We use it for teething and also if we can't figure out what's going on and we've exhausted all other options and baby still seems angry
    We love the Nose Frida too!  Is it kind of gross yes, but that's what makes it awesome.  My DH hates cleaning it out it makes his skin crawl BAHAHA.  We only use a humidifier when they are sick, but we purchased a whole house humidifier a few years ago so we are pretty good humidity wise.
    For gas we did gripe water since I figured meh it can't hurt and was hoping it would help.  Did it?  Who knows but we used it.
    We always used nail clippers for them, gloves when they are tiny and can't control their little hands
    No owlet it was too expensive, no crib-rails our first didn't bother the crib the second was a beaver so I figure damage done now.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    We bought a forehead thermometer for covid temp checks every morning so that’ll be a nice addition to our arsenal this time around. 

I keep Advil and Tylenol on hand and use one or the other whenever I suspect pain is the culprit. Not too often but with my daughter it’s been fairly obvious when it’s what she needs. 

I have a baby vac, which is a bit scary looking, but a million times more effective than the nose frida. I like to pair that with a saline spray. We used saline spray a lot this past winter when a runny nose was a constant affair. Humidifier too while the house was dry. 

The frida nail clippers are fantastic! I don’t love mittens or rolled sleeves. 

No owlet monitor here. A NICU stay convinced me that even the most high tech alarms produce way more anxiety than anything else for me.