October 2021 Moms

Tips to combat nausea!

Hiya fellow mamas. 

I thought we could all help each other out by listing things that have helped our nausea! 🤢

I’ll start. 
Toast & crackers are big ones for me. 
Also I’ve discovered recently that popsicles help, and are very soothing to me because they are cold. 
I do also swear by preggie pops, when I have enough strength to stomach more flavor. 🥲 

I’m 7w1d today.

Sending love 💕 

Re: Tips to combat nausea!

• My nausea isn't in full throttle yet but in previous pregnancies the sea bands actually helped. I was surprised they worked! But they did. 
  • With my last pregnancy with my son I had terrible all day sickness- ended up on bonjesta and still had a couple weeks I would puke up to 4x a day in addition to all day nausea. Idk how I would’ve functioned without the bonjesta. This time I’ve had more mild all day nausea, gagging/really sensitive to smells and puking about 1x a day average. So better 🤣 I’m taking B6 and it’s really helping me before I started it I was already puking multiple times a day right at 4 weeks. Eating small frequent meals is key- if you find something semi healthy that your stomach will accept go with it haha I eat so much plain hummus and crackers or pita bread in the first trimester 🤷🏻‍♀️ Cold cold drinks help. Acupressure bands helped me last time, I keep meaning to get those again. And just hang in there! It’ll get better eventually :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes right now I am carb loading unfortunately. Trying to be easy on myself though. My midwife said in the first trimester just eat whatever you can keep down! I wanna try those acupuncture bands! And thank you for the encouragement. Looking forward to it calming down some lol. 
  • Yup that’s exactly right be easy on yourself and just eat what you can! With my son, the only food I could really keep down first trimester was carbs, hummus, Buffalo chicken dip and popsicles. Pretty much zero vegetables. And he’s a perfectly healthy happy baby 😄
  • With both my kiddos, B6 + Unisom didn’t do much. But with my first, Diclegis was a huge help. Then with my second, Diclegis didn’t help at all. This time I started getting nauseous around 4 1/2 weeks. I tried just B6 without Unisom because I hate sleep meds, and it didn’t help. I called the doc and she said I really need to take both. So now I am and it’s helping tremendously. I went from throwing up 10x a day to 1x per day usually.

I drink a lot of Powerade Zero (grape flavor) and it helps so much, especially to feel better after I just threw up. Water is also helpful. Laying down helps a lot. I’ve realized that I feel best in the early afternoon so I try and eat then, focusing on getting protein. I need to motivate myself to try and workout then too.

Usually in the morning I get up and immediately eat a banana to get something in my stomach before the empty feeling makes me nauseous. I almost always keep down oatmeal, saltine crackers, and bananas. 

Eating like 6 small meals a day is helpful. I am guaranteed to feel sick if I eat a normal amount, and especially if I eat too much. 

I used to wake up at 5am everyday to read, but now I just wake up when my kids wake up and not any earlier because all that gives me is extra time to feel sick. And I go to bed as soon as my kids are in bed. So I’m getting like 11 hours of sleep which is helpful. 

Looking at my phone or iPad too much makes me super sick, and even just reading a book or a kids book to my kids. So if I’m starting to get nauseous I put away screens and don’t read anything. And at night I don’t even look at my phone and just go right to sleep. 

I’m completely averse to all meat. Especially chicken. Which is a bummer because we eat so much chicken. So DH is making dinner every night. I try and come down once it cooked but sometimes I can’t stomach it and just stay upstairs. So thank goodness for him picking up the slack because idk how I’d make real dinners. Making lunch and cleaning up lunch really sucks everyday. 
  • Sour stuff seems to work decently for me. Green apples and green apple jolly ranchers are my go-to's. 

I just went to Trader Joe's and bought all their ginger items. The mints are meh and only really good if I have a funky taste in my mouth. I'm not a fan of the uncrystalized ginger cubes. I have been living on the ginger chews though. I suck on one which usually lasts about a half hour, and by the time it's gone my nausea has usually faded. 
  • In past pregnancies I loved on salt and vinegar chips and sour patch kids. Not healthy in the least but it helped so much during first trimester! 
  • Last pregnancy I don't remember too much nausea but on some bad days, I wore this relief band bracelet that shocked me every so often that was supposed to help. 
  • I love hearing tips, although I haven't thrown up my nausea hangs around all day. I wasn't expecting it to feel like a hangover lol 
    Does anyone else's get worse at night?
  • @5yearstrying me! This time around it has been really bad. I am working on eating smaller meals and eating snacks every two hours. But it's been so bad at night. I've been sleeping with the bathroom trash next to the side of the bed.

I ordered some ginger chews from Amazon last night. Hoping that they help.

• So just wanted to say, I’ve been trying b6 and unisom at night and I think it might be starting to help! My midwife said it could take a few days to kick in. I’m on morning 3 now. And the edge of the nausea seems a little less I think! 
  • Has anyone tried acupuncture to combat pregnancy symptoms?
  • @vampirina I do acupuncture to help prevent miscarriage in the first trimester and she also targets my nausea but I’ll be honest for me it pretty much just helps me not feel like I’m going to puke during the acupuncture (which is welcomed ha) but doesn’t have any lasting effects for me. I have pretty severe all day sickness though so idk maybe for a more mild case it would help more 🤷🏻‍♀️ 
  • @momofmiracles31889 my nausea is all day everyday. I almost never really puke but always feel like I'm just about too. 

But good to know it doesn't really have lasting affects. I'm so miserable. Happy and miserable. 
  • @vampirina, "happy and miserable" is the perfect description of pregnancy with morning sickness. ❤
  • @vampirina I hear you!! It’s like the one reason for being this “sick” that is actually a happy one haha.  I forget if you mentioned this anywhere are you on any medicine for it? Bonjesta helps me not puke as often but I’m still so nauseous all day and puke a couple times a day atleast... but I have a friend who more just had nausea all day and bonjesta helped her with that! We just have to hang in there it does get better 🤣 feels like forever when you’re just trying to survive each hour though lol 
  • I got these this week and have been using them when nauseous and they seem to be working pretty well. And they're tasty, with a little bit of a kick!
    Amazon.com : Chimes Original Ginger Chews, 1-pound bag : Ginger Candy : Grocery & Gourmet Food
  • Hey y’all! Sour skittles for the win over here! If you’re feeling less barfy, they taste so good! 
  • I've been filling a tall glass almost all the way with crushed ice, and topping it off with a tiny splash of lemonade. Sipping on the super cold, watered-down lemonade helps seems to help my nausea.