June 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 03/02: General Nursery Furniture

What else goes in a nursery? Will you have a designated changing table? If so, which one and what kind of features does it have that you'd recommend to other parents? Or will you set up your changing station on a dresser top? Where did your dresser come from and what does it look like? Do you have a cute little baby one or did you buy serious grown up furniture they can grow into? How about other clothes storage--do you have a wardrobe for your baby? Other than rocking chair/glider do you plan to have any other sitting surfaces like a couch or futon, or even a bed? Ottomans or foot rests to accompany them? And how about side tables and night tables for extra surfaces? And looking ahead to when they're older, do you already have some little-kid furniture in place for when they can use it--like play tables and chairs, day beds, a little kid desk? Any big furniture items for toy storage, like chests?

Am I forgetting any major furniture item? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 03/02: General Nursery Furniture

• Options
    We just use an IKEA dresser and the changing pad on top. I much prefer this to a set changing table. I get ikea ones and swap out the handles for prettier ones. 

I like having a single bed in the nursery for the first few months for night feeds. My son night weaned at 5-5.5 months but I kept a dream feed until he started gaining weight (whole other set of problems there). I didn’t use anything else as I kept it dark and all business for night feeds. 

Make sure to bolt any furniture to the wall! 

• Options
    akorosakoros member
    edited March 2021
    We're planning to do a dresser with a changing pad on top. I've bookmarked a "kiddie" dresser that should be good for a while, mostly because it's smaller and we'll be splitting the nursery with some office furniture for a bit in the beginning. I'll also be taking a utility cart my parents no longer need to store diapering items (I'd put one on my registry and my mom offered hers) and my old childhood bookshelf (hardwood, just a bit smaller than a normal one) which I'll probably take sooner rather than later so I can fill it up with books. Also need to raid their attic, I'm nearly positive I have some kid books up there, might also be a bunch of stuffed animals or toys. 

My parents still have a tiny wooden rocking chair, table & chair set (only 3 chairs, but whatev), and maybe a toy chest from when I was a kid. Not sure when we'll take those. They're sort of Germanic-looking (somewhat like the spoiler picture), which should fit if we stick with mountains/forest animals. So far not really planning to buy anything extra on the "toy furniture" front for a while, though my mom has been hitting NextDoor hard. She's super proud of the Evenflo Smart Steps Exersaucer she just scored for free. 

Photo:

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh yeah! IKEA raskog carts are the best thing. We have one in the living room and I stock it with essentials so we don’t need to go upstairs and one upstairs beside dresser with essentials. 

• Options
    We got a changing table from Ikea that can convert into a bookcase when the changing table is no longer necessary. We are getting a dresser from Ikea as well. All furniture will be anchored to the wall, of course. 

We also got a daybed with a trundle, just in case one of us needs to sleep in there, or we need to use the nursery as a guest room and make baby boy sleep in our room. 

There is a pretty big closet in the nursery that we will be using for storage (toys, games, out of season clothes, wrong size clothes, etc). We will be getting a number of storage baskets for the shelves in there.

Me: 32 years old
    DH: 33 years old
    Married in May 16, 2015
         TTC #1 (on and off) since September 2015
    DS1 Due 6.7.2021
  • Options
    We put the changing pad on the dresser for DS and will do the same this time. We are going to do the same thing this time as we are using our smallest bedroom for the nursery.
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    Our nurseries are pretty minimal on furniture. It’s just the crib and then dresser with changing table on top. 

I get a collapsible hamper for their clothes and another soft basket for blankets, because we use them for everything from tummy time to covering car seats, so it is easy to grab out of basket. I do use drawer organizers to keep the little clothes/diapers more contained, and then remove them as they outgrow them. We have a soft toy box to keep a few toys in and a small bookcase/shelves for books for nap time or bed time reading. 

For larger toys, we do have the 3 in 1 Skip Hop table that goes from a sit in play to a table with chairs for toddlers. DD is using it now as her table, but we will revert it back to the sit in play when DS is around 4 months or so.