September 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Cribs w/o 2-22

krash_krash_ member
edited February 2021 in September 2021 Moms
This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... Cribs! Cribs, bassinets or other safe sleeping surfaces!

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [crib/sleep surface]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [crib/sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [crib/sleep surface]:

For FTMs:
  • [crib/sleep surface] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Here is the schedule for the product spotlights to keep track of the topics and threads: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BFKfcrp0DX8dvYklwMEyqaex6ixXUoJ2zRbYirApXd4/edit?usp=sharing 
*TW LC*
Me & MH: 32
DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
TTC #2: 12/2019
Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

Re: Product Spotlight: Cribs w/o 2-22

• Favorite [crib/sleep surface]: Halo swivel sleeper bassinet 
    • Link/picture: https://www.halosleep.com/halo-bassinest-swivel-sleeper
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$ or $$$ but we bought one second hand for $150
    • What you like about it: we were originally planning on putting DS in his crib from day one (our house is pretty small so he wouldn't have been far) but after a NICU stay with seizures that stopped his breathing there was no way he was going to leave our side. We bought the Halo second hand while we were in the NICU and it was a life saver. He ended up staying in that until 8 months. We have a really tall bed and it was able to go tall enough to swivel over the edge of our bed. The side that bends down was great for the nights that I would rest my hand on him to soothe him back to sleep from my spot lying in bed. The side pockets were nice but we did add the caddy for extra storage because I had to give up my night stand to have room in our small master. We will be using it again for this baby. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: I stubbed my toe on the god forsaken base so many times. I ended up putting a bath mat over the base and it helped protect my little toes. The soothing center with the lights and vibration was nice but as DS got bigger he would turn in the bassinet and smack his head on it. It looks like they redesigned it so not sure if that is a concern still but it was easy to just remove it.
    • Is there a [crib/sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: nope
    • Additional thoughts on [crib/sleep surface]: for cribs anything will do. Just make sure if you are buying second hand that wasn't manufactured before 2011. We have a 4moms breeze play yard that we use for travel but we did not use it for sleep at home. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Favorite [crib/sleep surface]: Babyletto “Lolly” Crib
    • Link/picture: https://rstyle.me/cz-n/e3raguca2g7
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $399 I believe 
    • What you like about it: the wood accents are really trendy! It’s got 3 levels and a convertible side to make it a toddler bed. All around great crib, easy to put together, sleek and trendy looking - would match virtually any nursery! 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Nothing!
    • Is there a [crib/sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: We used a fisher price rock & play for our refluxy daughter in lieu of her bassinet for the first 8 weeks before moving her to a crib. Now that it’s recalled I’m looking into a side sleeper that’s somewhere between a bassinet and the rock & play. 
    • Additional thoughts on [crib/sleep surface]: I’ll miss you, rock & play......
  • Loading the player...
  • chewie5990chewie5990 member
    edited February 2021
    My FIL and husband made our crib and it's beautiful and I was able to custom design things that I wanted...it's perfect. BUT we will need a 2nd crib since DS2 will still need to be in a crib for quite a while after this baby is born. I've been thinking about switching DS2 to a new crib that converts to a toddler bed and starting this next baby in our current crib...but we honestly probably won't buy a crib for a few months until after baby is born...we will keep them in our room in the PnP for at least 6 months so we aren't in any rush to figure out how we are going to fit 2 cribs in the nursery. 

*a recommendation -- I hate extra stuff -  we are fairly minimalist. We just use the PnP in our room for the first 6 months instead of buying a separate cradle. I also think using the PnP is great because baby is already accustomed to the sleep environment in the PnP which makes it easier when traveling! When they are a newborn I just having the PnP right up against our bed - almost like a cosleeper - I can still just reach my hand and soothe if needed. Then around 3 months-ish I move it further from the bed for better sleep.

I haven't really looked into convertible cribs yet so I'll definitely be checking out this thread for suggestions!
  • I second the Pack ‘n Play recommendation from @chewie5990! We actually used a sidecar Arm’s Reach bassinet with our first and it was fine, but we switched her to the PNP at our bedside around 3 months and it was wonderful. Easy to move around, affordable, and she still likes to sleep in one when we travel. 

She moved to a crib around 9 months and it’s also great, but literally all cribs that meet current safety standards are great. Just get one that matches your style and budget, then you’re good! 

• Favorite [crib/sleep surface]: Pack ‘n Play with bassinet level
    • Link/picture: https://www.gracobaby.com/home-and-gear/pack-n-play-playards-and-bassinets/pack-n-play-playards/pack-n-play%C2%A0on-the-go%C2%A0playard-with-bassinet%C2%A0/SAP_1927561.html
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $89 — there are more expensive versions with changing stations, but we really just wanted the second level. 
    • What you like about it: Easy to move, great for travel, inexpensive, grows with baby, multi-functional. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: It can be a pain to close up, but you just learn the knack for it. 
    • Is there a [crib/sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Yes! Graco now makes a smaller version with a portable bassinet level. We gave away our Arm’s Reach sidecar and will be replacing it with this version of the PNP, so we also have a PNP w/bassinet in the living room. 
    • Additional thoughts on [crib/sleep surface]: I highly recommend checking out the Can Do Kiddo website/social media run by Rachel Coley, a pediatric occupational therapist (@candokiddo on IG). She talks a lot about safe sleep surfaces and the developmental impacts of various baby holding devices. I found her really helpful when choosing baby sleep gear! 
  • I bought a really nice crib for DS1.... he chewed the wood like a dang hamster!

DS2 chewed it like a rat.

My advice, buy a nice, cheap one 😂 chances if you converting it to a toddler and then full size bed seems slim to none. Not one person I know has actually done this.
  • @runningonindie I’m going to miss my rock n play too 😭 my first 2 definitely slept in there a lot, especially during the day. 
  • We have a bassinet for our bedroom and usually keep the pack n play downstairs for daytime naps. Although maybe this time around we will put the baby for naps upstairs since I have a very noisy and rambunctious toddler now. 

My oldest slept in his bassinet until he was 5 months then he slept in our bed.  We never used the crib.  Now he has his own double bed in his room. 
  • For S+TMs:
    • Favorite [crib/sleep surface]: SnuggleNest
    • Link/picture: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Delight-Portable-Co-Sleeper-Waterproof/dp/B014F7UEXG
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $ cheap compared to most other options!
    • What you like about it: It's a great intro to co-sleeping, I could hoist my boob over the edge and nurse lying down in the middle of the night, which was a game-changer for those many middle of the night feeds. It's also small and very easily portable. I got mine originally from a consignment sale, and it's one of the few things we kept, so yay!
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Nothing!
    • Is there a [crib/sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Yes, we just got a Halo Bassinet from a friend who just moved and got rid of their baby stuff. She posted it for sale online, and as soon as I saw it I texted her and was like, "Surprise! I'm pregnant, also can I buy your bassinet and bath seat?" lol
    • Additional thoughts on [crib/sleep surface]: My son literally never used his crib. We ended up co-sleeping and then moving to just a mattress on the floor in his room once he was closer to 12 mo. The crib was a big waste of money for us. It did make sleeping easier back then, but I have mixed feelings because even now at 6, he refuses to sleep alone. We finally got him in his own bed, but he needs someone else in his room and it's been really hard to get him to be more independent, so with baby #2, I'll try harder to get them to sleep on their own earlier. We will still plan on co-sleeping in the beginning, though, because the middle of the night feeds make it so hard to function in the beginning, and though it's pretty natural to not fall into a deep sleep while nursing lying down, it does feel more restful than having to sit all the way up.
    **Advice to new parents: Please please please do some research ahead of time on safe co-sleeping practices even if you don't plan on doing it. You may want a backup plan, or may find yourself accidentally in a co-sleeping situation out of desperation. Better to know that you're doing it safely!!
  • @Aerialmrs 100% agree - everyone should know how to safely co sleep! We definitely did a lot of co sleeping with DS1, but DS2 hates co sleeping and just wants his space when he's tired, so he is in his crib all the time. 
  • @runningonindie ff Wednesday confession still going to use my rock and play.  It was a life saver with DD.  She had horrible reflux and couldn't sleep flat right away.  It was the only way any of us got sleep the first few weeks.  I know they were recalled.  Babies will be out them before they are rolling over.

Pregnancy Ticker

• cassafrass123cassafrass123 member
    edited February 2021
    • Favorite [crib/sleep surface]: I can’t say I have a favorite...it definitely was the rock n play...
    • Link/picture: obvs no link anymore 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): unobtainable lol
    • What you like about it: mesh sides close to baby so they don’t startle so easily, helped with reflux 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Though my rational mind knows all of the infants that passed away using it were not following the safety instructions for it and we are sticklers, my anxiety probably won’t let me rest knowing it
    • Is there a [crib/sleep surface] you don't have but are considering? Why?: looking into maybe a Moses basket style bassinet or a more traditional rocking cradle. We tend to take shifts being primary parent with a newborn in the house. I’ll go to bed at 6pm while DH takes parenting duty and has baby in the living room only waking when DH brings baby in to nurse, then around 1-3am I’ll switch with him. If baby sleeps the rest of the night then I’ll sleep. If not at least I got some rest earlier. So, we need something that works couchside more than bedside lol
    • Additional thoughts on [crib/sleep surface]: focus on an older baby/toddler when you look for your crib!
  • @Centralmnmom honestly I don’t blame you. DD had surgery on her esophagus at birth and bad reflux is (and was) the big side effect. It was our only literal saving grace with her. I plan to start off the right way with baby #2 (praying he or she doesn’t have the same birth defect) but in the event there’s more reflux...... might have to bust it out of the attic storage 
  • @runningonindie @Centralmnmom rock n plays weren’t recalled in Canada because they weren’t advertised as a safe sleep spot. I use mine still and love that thing. We’ve never used it for overnight sleep though (and not when baby was rolling over) but as a nap spot during the day with a toddler running around it was a lifesaver! I brought that thing inside, outside, to my parents... 
  • @muggsd we totally used it for overnight sleep until she was 3 months. She wasn’t even rolling yet at that point but we had moved her to the crib with a crib wedge. It was honestly such a lifesaver. She was right next to me, not that it matters.... but I don’t think I’ll be doing that again just out of principle. I’m jealous that it wasn’t recalled in Canada! We have the Mamaroo from 4 Moms which sounds similar to how you used the rock n play. DD loved it and we kept it downstairs for her daytime naps.