September 2021 Moms

STM + Check In 2/24

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 
How are your other kids doing this week? 
Rants/Raves: 
Concerns/Questions: 
GTKY: Have you ever played an instrument? If so, what one(s)? 

Re: STM + Check In 2/24

• How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? DD is 3.5, and DS is nearly 2.
    How are your other kids doing this week? DD is usually amazing on weekdays! DS is... well he's a 2 year old.
    Rants/Raves: Rave: We've had some sunny days lately and I feel like spring is finally almost here! Rant: DH complained about how it's so hard to cook for me (he makes dinner on the weekends). Yes, I feel terrible all the time, have only been able to eat bland food and hardly any dairy for a month (sob!), but you're the one suffering from having to not cook anything for me since I'm only eating noodles anyway. Poor guy...
    Concerns/Questions: natm
    GTKY: I played the piano for several years, did flute in gr 7, and have attempted guitar and ukulele.
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 
    DD just turned 1! 

She's been a mess. She has a front tooth and a molar coming in, so super and has been suuuper clingy. 

Rants/Raves: 
    It's supposed to be above freezing temps for like 10 days at least!!!! I'm so ready for all this snow to melt! We can't even go safely for a walk in thr "warm" 40° weather because half the people in our neighborhood didn't shovel and I hate walking in the road with the stroller!

Concerns/Questions: 
    Nah

I played the flute! Got paid to do it in high school too! I worked for the Salvation Army and played Christmas carols instead of ringing a bell
  • Loading the player...
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? One 2.5 year old son. 

How are your other kids doing this week? We are trying potty training again.  The first time we tried he was a champ at peeing on the potty but only pooped a few times(which I chalk up to good timing on our part).  Now he seems more interested in letting us know when he has to go.  

Rants/Raves: natm

Concerns/Questions: natm

GTKY: Have you ever played an instrument? If so, what one(s)? I've played guitar since I was 13.  I played flute in gr. 8, in gr. 9 I played the baritone, and gr. 10 I spend the year switching between the rest of the instruments(saxophone, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, bass). I have a fairly basic understanding of most of those instruments but I wouldn't say I am great at any of them.  I was also in a band while I was pregnant with my son as the vocalist/songwriter.  
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? Two boys, 5 and almost 3.

How are your other kids doing this week? They’re pretty happy and tired since we got a dog this week! The younger one threw a RIDICULOUS tantrum at the humane society because he wanted a stuffed dog when we were leaving with a real dog 🙄

Rants/Raves: Like you guys I was excited about the weather! It was “warm” today (40 something). Another rave is sneaking up on my last day at the job I don’t like! New lady starts next week and I’m staying to train her 3 days. Also next week have my first appointment! 

Concerns/Questions: Natm

GTKY: Have you ever played an instrument? If so, what one(s)? yes! I begged my parents to do piano lessons, did that for a few years and never played very well 😂 I also played the flute from 4th grade through one year of flute ensemble in college. 
    2 boys - 5 and 9 months 

DS1 is a crazy 5 year old...Saturday he cut his hair during quiet time (he had really long beautiful curly hair) and so Sunday I took him to get a haircut - the first one in about 2 years! He looks so much older now, but he loves it! 

DS2 is crawling so fast it's hard to keep up with him, but he's given us almost a week straight of STTN so I can't complain about anything! 

Rants/Raves:
    I'm just so effing tired all the time. I wake up at 5:15 - shower, get ready for work, the boys wake up around 6 - get DS1 breakfast, nurse DS2 while scarfing down coffee, get both boys dressed and ready for school and all the other morning routine stuff - work - come home at 3:30 - nurse DS2, make dinner, go pick up DS1, play play play, eat dinner, bath for both boys, nurse DS2, put DS2 to bed while DH puts DS1 to bed. Then it's washing pump parts, doing dishes, cleaning, and I just really need a freaking nap. or a vacation. 

Concerns/Questions: 
    Does anyone have their young kids sharing a room? DS2 and this baby will be sharing a room and I'm wondering about bed time routine? Do you put both kids down at the same time? put one down and wait until they are asleep before putting the next one down? What works? (they will be 15 months apart)

I played Clarinet in 6th grade band for about 2 months before I dropped the class..I was awful. I also took bass lessons in high school for about a year - also awful. I love music, but I just don't have the ear for it. 
  • @sleepydaze it's snowing like crazy tonight - I want spring so bad!!
  • @babybelugaco as much as I hate our HOA most of the time - I am thankful they're super strict on shoveling and the sidewalks are ALWAYS clear - if you don't shovel within 8 hrs after the snow stops you get a $200 fine! 

• @chewie5990 that's a crazy busy schedule you have! Even without being pregnant, I would think most people would be wiped from having that busy of a day. Hope you're able to get some quality rest soon 💜
  • @chewie5990 our two share a room now and go to sleep at the same time. When DS2 was a baby I used to put DS1 to sleep while rocking DS2
    6yo boy

He's been so sweet giving my belly hugs and kisses, telling me "I love you guys! I'm saying you guys because I'm talking to the little baby too!" He has behavioral issues and a firey temper, so I always try to encourage these moments. I've been telling him often how he's going to be such a great big brother, and I can tell he already loves this baby so much.

Rants/Raves: 
    Our weather has been great, too! Don't be mad but... today is day 3 of 70+ degrees!  <3 I shaved my legs last night specifically so I could wear shorts today, lol. Yesterday we did a little homeschool outside which was so nice, and I brought a towel to work so I could do get my computer-based work done outside. It was so nice! Tomorrow it's supposed to start being cold and rainy again, so I'll be taking advantage today!
    Also - our new mattress just shipped and is expect to arrive tomorrow! Hooray, we might have a brand-new bed to sleep on this weekend, I'm so excited.
    Basically I love Thursdays. I do my best to smash all of my work in M-Thursday so I can have a break Fridays, so Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. Also my weeks change over on Thursday, so I'm 11 weeks today :smiley:

Concerns/Questions: 
    None yet!

Briefly I learned piano and violin in elementary school, then played the flute (hiiii other flute people!) for the longest in middle school. My mom had played the clarinet in high school and still has it, so I taught myself a little clarinet in middle school as well just for fun. I don't actively play anything now, but I maintain that learning to play an instrument and some music theory along with it was so valuable! I love anything that mixes art with logic and music definitely fits the bill!
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? DS will be 4 next week

How are your other kids doing this week? He's really gone deep in the excuses and stalling for bedtime.  It's exhausting.

Rants/Raves: Potty training drives me CRAZY!  We started right before he was 3 and are still working on it.  To be honest, we took a long break when he was home from daycare because of COVID because we were both working and he was watching a lot of tv and I couldn't leave him to pee himself while we were in back to back meetings.  He does well at home but only wears underwear (no clothes).  It just doesn't translate at daycare or out of the house and it's like he has a block going anywhere else.  We decided to incentivize him with a swing set if he can get in underwear at daycare by the summer.

Concerns/Questions: When did you or are you telling your kids?  **TW** I'm 12 weeks and still haven't told my son because I lost a baby at 15 weeks last summer and it was so hard to hear him keep talking about the baby after she was gone.

GTKY: Have you ever played an instrument? If so, what one(s)? I played the violin starting in 4th grade through 8th grade.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2 boys - almost 5 and 2.5

Pretty good. DS1 is always really difficult come bedtime, he takes a very long time to fall asleep its tough. DS2 I'm thinking about potty training soon, would love him to be out of diapers by the time this new baby comes! 

Rants/Raves:
    I'm so over Winter. I just want Spring already. thankfully this week has been fairly nice and sunny! Fingers crossed it sticks around.

Concerns/Questions: 
    I'm also going to be putting my 2 oldest boys together in a room. Curious how best to manage this? I think I'll need to put the younger one down and then the older one. I jsut don't see it going well putting them to bed at same time i dunno...

I played trumped in grade 7 & 8 band! Otherwise not very talented with instruments haha. I'd love to learn guitar!
  • @Aerialmrs we got 8 inches of snow last night...I'm super jealous that you're busting out the shorts! We did get a snow day today though, so we (the boys and I) have a movie morning planned followed by snowman building while mommy shovels the driveway, and then some sledding after lunch. 
  • for those of you potty training -- I HIGHLY recommend the book "Oh Crap" - we followed it over a 4 day weekend and DS1 was potty trained. It's pretty much - no clothes for 3 days, and then no underwear for as long as it takes (we only did no underwear for about a week, but I know others that did no underwear for about a month). It's all about removing the "diaper" sensation. I didn't follow the book super strictly, but we did most of it. We didn't worry about night training until DS naturally stopped peeing at night - so we did night pullups until almost 4 but he was daytime potty trained right after his 2nd birthday 
  • @nasalot188 our boys are about the same age, mine sleep in a bunk bed and go to bed at the same time almost all the time. The chat and sometimes we have to go back in and tell them to knock it off but after the adjustment period it went pretty well! DS1 actually likes DS2 in there because he’s afraid of the dark lol. 
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? I have 5 LC. My oldest is 18 (he is no longer living at home), then 6, 5, 3, 15 months. 

How are your other kids doing this week? One is sick and one has some funky thing going on with her eye which I assume is related to the virus we have running through the house. The others are fine. 

Rants/Raves: I posted in randoms about this but I haven’t got much sleep. All but 1 of my kids woke me up last night. My oldest daughter woke me twice to ask me if I was done sleeping. 🙄

Concerns/Questions: 

GTKY: Have you ever played an instrument? If so, what one(s)?  a recorder when I was in elementary school. 🤣
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 2 girls, 2.5 and 11 months
    How are your other kids doing this week? My 11 month old has had a bit of an upset stomach lately (formula switch is the culprit) so she's been fussy but better in the past few days once we switched her off of the formula. She's also dropping her first nap and doing AMAZING. Super chipper until like 1:30pm and then takes a 3 hour nap! The 2 year old is a 2 year old. Never wants to cooperate but chattering away (very cutely) all day.
    Rants/Raves: We just got out of a 2 week long cold snap so I'm loving the warmer weather! Downside is I want to go for walks etc. which gets me exhausted for the rest of the day.
    Concerns/Questions:  Just got home from a bit of a concerning midwife appointment since she couldn't find the heartbeat. Going to try and keep my mind off it until Monday's ultrasound.
    GTKY: Have you ever played an instrument? If so, what one(s)? Several! I did piano all through elementary school, then flute, clarinet, alto sax in highschool. Dabbled in guitar and violin while I was in university. If I could pick one to go forward with it would definitely be violin. I love the sound. 
  • @chewie5990 I put my girls in the same room when they were 2.5 and 8 months. We put the younger one down first and then the older about half an hour after. Youngest had a sleep regression around 10 months so we moved her into a playpen for a few nights to get her back into a routine but since then no issues. I think having them together has helped them both sleep better - they no longer wake up to little noises from the other one. We do nap them separately though, but that will need to change since the room we use for my older one's quiet time will soon be the nursery!
  • @sleepydaze I feel you on the 2 year old. Sometimes you just gotta shake your head... 
    Also eating mostly noodles over here. Can't wait for 2nd trimester to eat real food again!
    One son who is 3 years old
    DS is doing fine, but really resisting bedtime this week, and also getting up at 5:00 ready to start the day. We have his well-3-year-old visit tomorrow so I’m going to ask if it’s normal for this age. I’m assuming yes!
    Rants/Raves:
    the electric ride-on vehicle my son plays with is a great way to keep him occupied on nice days, but on rainy days I struggle to keep him busy.
    Concerns/Questions: none
    I play the violin well, and I play the guitar not so well 😂
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @williams-jen Yes that is very normal. My 5 year old still wakes up super early. I have taught him to play in his room quietly until it’s time for the rest of us to wake up. 
  • @williams-jen sounds like typical 3 year old behavior to me! We introduced The Hatch lamp to my son around 3 and it's a life saved now! We have it se on a timer so at night from 7:30 - 6:30 it's whiteish/yellow (his preferred night time color) and then at 6:30 it turned green (green means go - you can leave your room!) and it stays green for an hour. So he knows that if he wake up and his light is white/yellow it's still night time, but if it's green it's morning and he can come out of his room. We also used it for nap and now use it for quiet time. 
  • I started this reply on Wednesday … it’s Friday … sums up my week pretty well lol

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? One boy who will be nine in just over a week

How are your other kids doing this week? He’s been doing really well. His birthday was cancelled last year and he’s not having a party again this year so decided to go all-out and ordered him a ‘super fancy’  cake from his fave bakery. He’s very excited about it, he loves the shop’s macarons and all he keeps talking about is that there will be macarons on his cake lol

Rants/Raves: We’re fully remote for school because our district is doing every other week in school but for mornings only and by the time he gets out of school I have just started my workday. To get him off the bus and settle him in/feed him lunch/get him ready to get back to school he would need my full attention so it doesn’t work for us to send him to school.  It’s actually worked out really well, he is thriving with remote school and does a great job with Alexas at home to help him manage his time.  Now there’s talk of going back in-person full time for the last month or two of school.  We’re really torn about whether or not to keep him remote for the last few months to finish out the year strong, or send him in to school since he would be there full time.  This is definitely going to be a long discussion over the next few weeks.

Concerns/Questions: natm

GTKY: Have you ever played an instrument? If so, what one(s)? My mom bought us a piano when I was in early elementary and my dad and I both took lessons. I quit the day I tried to scoot the piano stool in and somehow managed to open the stool and immediately close it on my fingers with all of my body weight behind it so I damaged the heck out of my fingers.  Never went back to piano after that, too traumatic for second grade me.  I also played clarinet in fourth and fifth grade, but it didn’t fit in my schedule for middle school so I stopped playing.

• How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 1 daughter who just turned 5 on Wednesday. 
    How are your other kids doing this week? She's doing okay.  Yesterday morning she has a meltdown because she thought she had to watch an dinosaur cartoon she thought was scary at daycare.  I knew this wasn't the case and that she could just go play somewhere else, but I talked to our provider and we got it all straightened out.
    Rants/Raves:  it's finally getting warm here.  Hoping it's not going to be windy so I can start getting out for walk again.
    Concerns/Questions: nope
    GTKY: Have you ever played an instrument? If so, what one(s)?  Does the recorder in elementary school count lol.  Otherwise nope.  I can sing, but no instruments. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Centralmnmom Aw I totally feel for your daughter! When I was in gr 3 we watched Matilda in class, and I was so scared I hid in the school bathroom/behind my desk on the floor. (In my defense, in the movie the principal locked kids in a cupboard with nails sticking everywhere, so when she pulled out a knife to punish a kid [turns out it for a cake], I nearly peed my pants).
  • @sleepydaze I can see Matilda being a little scary when your young.  Apparently this was a cartoon version of Jurassic Park.  I haven't seen it, but the boys at daycare liked it.  We made a deal that they wouldn't play it on day DD is there.   She's in pre-k 2-3 days a week so there's plenty of time for them to see it. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• TW: gross stuff if you're queasy!

My 6 yo son was just eating string cheese and suddenly started freaking out and crying because his nose hurt. Since he was talking about his nose, I helped him blow it as hard as he could, but nothing was coming out, I asked multiple times if he put anything in there and he said no, and I asked if he thought maybe he accidentally snorted a piece of the string cheese and he claimed no. I was pretty sure it was the string cheese anyway since he was holding it at the time, and he was breathing fine and still able to drink water, so I thought let's just wait it out and see if if works its way down his throat in the next few minutes. Then he starts gagging and spitting (definitely not choking, though, thank GOD!) and throwing up string cheese a little, but still complaining that it feels like something is stuck. Why is it so hard to get a vomit-y kid to actually vomit in a toilet?? Anyway, after throwing up several large chunks of string cheese, he doesn't feel like anything is stuck anymore, but dang! I had to call my husband inside to help me clean it up because my gag reflex is so sensitive I just could not handle it! Whew!!

• @Aerialmrs this exact situation happened with DS1 when he was about 4 but it was with noodles! so gross!!