September 2021 Moms

GTKY 2/23

What's one of your craziest travel stories?

Re: GTKY 2/23

• @sleepydaze oh man! That sounds like a crazy trip!

I haven’t really traveled much but I did drive to Oklahoma with my ex, we switched off and drove 24 hours straight. The way down wasn’t bad but the way back was TERRIBLE. We both got sick from bad gas station hamburgers.
  • Loading the player...
  • My sister and I were really into live music and were seeing Jason Mraz and friends at coffee houses. He went on a Music, Magic and Make peace tour with a bunch of our friends opening. 

So we went to the first 3 opening day shows starting in Santa Cruz stayed the night in San Luis Obispo, drove to San Francisco sat on the streets all day, drove back home 7 hours after the show was over, slept for a few hours and headed to Los Angeles, hung on the streets all day and went home after! We had about 7 hours of sleep total - not sure how we survived but it was incredible!
  • @sleepydaze mine is a Hawaii story too!!

DH and I went to Maui on our honeymoon, and wanted to do this big drive around the island where you can stop and look at a ton of different really pretty things. On one of the first stops, DH pulled out the camera to take a picture and put the lens cap in his pocket. When he pulled the lens cap out, he dropped his wallet (and neither of us noticed). So we left, drove for another hour or so (stopping to sightsee along the way), and saw a roadside banana bread stand that we had read about online. We stopped to buy some and realized he had no wallet. I didn’t bring mine on our excursion because he had his. Side note: my ID was in his wallet in case we found some adult beverages that we wanted haha. So we check the whole car, then realize we must’ve lost it along the way, and drive back to where we started stopping at every place we had originally stopped. No wallet. No ID’s. No room keys. So DH had to prove that he was who he said he was to the hotel staff so they would let us back into our room, and we contemplated how we would get home with no ID’s. Lucky for us: a guy staying one hotel over had found the wallet and looked for us (since he had our pictures) all day! Since we had our room keys he knew what hotel we were staying in and we were actually able to get DH’s wallet back within 12 hours of losing it! Super nice guy. Wouldn’t even let us buy him a beer haha. 
  • For Christmas one year, when my son was like 10 months old, we flew from our home in PA at the time to the midwest to see extended family. Where we were in the midwest, the day before we were supposed to fly home, my husband randomly got some 24-hour stomach bug where he couldn't leave the bathroom for more than, like 15 minutes at a time, so we were forced to reschedule our flight. Then, the next day, right after we would have flown out, a GIANT BLIZZARD started that effectively shut down the entire midwest for like 4 days. All the flights in and out were cancelled, and everyone and their mother was trying to rebook. Finally, we were able to find a flight out of Chicago to get us home, meaning we'd have to rent a car with 4WD and drive 4 hours to Chicago to be able to fly home. What do you know the night before we left to drive to Chicago and fly home, I caught the stomach bug. My version wasn't as bad (I'm very proud of my iron stomach), so we still went, but between the stomach bug and driving on icy roads for 4 hours with a 10 month old in the backseat, we finally got to the airport. When we got to the plane, I was finally able to start eating and we didn't have any food, so I was binging my baby's puffs, and then the person across the aisle starting puking her guts out, saying, "it's not motion sickness, I'm sick!" I have never wanted to just get home so much in my entire life! After we were finally home, we found out that the family we had stayed with, had their other side of the family visit right after us, and even though I had done my best to bleach our room/bathroom right before we left, most of them ended up getting sick, too. Man, that was a disaster of a week!
  • @sleepydaze @runningoncookies wow maybe I don't want to go to Hawaii!

I don't have any crazy vacation stories. Just some shitty travel days. Like when I was flying alone to Cancun to meet my friends for spring break and the cancelled my flight the day before for no reason or when we were traveling with DS when he was 10 months old and he had some sort of bug and ended up having blowouts all day. We changed him on that plane probably 6 times. Even had to carry him sideways covered in poop through security because he blew out as we were waiting in line but if you're carrying a poop covered baby they usually let you through pretty quickly so that was nice.  
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krash_ I can't even imagine that scene of a poop-covered baby going through security! Sounds like something out of a movie. 
  • On our first backpacking trip, we had booked a hostel in Nice, France. We got in around 11pm and when we went to check in, apparently the hostel had changed owners and they tried to charge us double what we had booked it for like 6-8 months beforehand. We got into a little arguement with him (they never notified us at all, and he was quite rude)  so we eventually just gave up and wandered the streets of Nice at midnight looking for wifi/a place to sleep for the night (we were there for about 5 or so days) so we could figure out an actual plan. We couldn't connect to the McDonald's wifi because we didn't have European phones.

We walked by this little restaurant run by 3 really old ladies all dressed in bright pink. They heard us talking about wifi and she caught our attention on our 3rd time around the block. She asked if we needed wifi - or weefee as she so adorably pronounced it - and when we said yes to find somewhere to sleep for the night, she said she has a hostel we can stay in! It was such a cute little place, it was like a 1 bedroom little apartment above the restaurant that had 2 bunk beds in the small bedroom. There just so happened to be another Canadian guy staying there longer term, so it was nice to have someone to chat to about the city. 

While we were in Nice, DH also lost his wedding ring and his sunglasses in the water because the undertow was so strong. Overall we still had a great time there and would definitely go back!
  • Not insanely crazy but somehow my parents let me go to the Dominican with three friends at 17 with no adult chaperones.  We got to the resort and because we were under 18 they gave us bracelets which apparently meant we couldn't drink.  Of course we ripped those suckers off and had a grand old time all week drinking disgusting drinks like Kahlua and milk and shots of sambuca.  I can't even possibly fathom letting my high schooler go on a spring break trip where they could drink with no adults but it was certainly a lot of fun!
    Pregnancy Ticker