June 2021 Moms

Healthy Habits - February

It has been awhile since we did a thread on this but a few people mentioned starting to get back into a routine since we have some energy coming back, so tell us what you are doing! 

What's a "small win" you have had recently?

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going?

What has you motivated?

GTKY: What is your favorite sports blooper or gif? 

Re: Healthy Habits - February

• It has been awhile since we did a thread on this but a few people mentioned starting to get back into a routine since we have some energy coming back, so tell us what you are doing! 

I finally talked my husband into buying a treadmill since we live in the tundra and I hate being cold. And I managed to walk for an hour 3 days last week! Hoping to up that slowly until I'm walking everyday!

I want to walk every day, for at least an hour. Like I said above we just got the treadmill so I've been increasing my activity slowly and not trying to push myself.

What has you motivated?

Not gaining a ton of weight is my main motivator. And hopefully not having gestational diabetes, lol.

I don't really do sports but I do have some that make me laugh. If I can figure out how to gif from my work computer I will do some
  • What's a "small win" you have had recently? Actually started working out, and for once got out for a nice 4 mile walk on Friday (weather was lovely). Hoping I can keep it up, though maybe not the walks since it's cold again.

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going? Trying to work out most days a week, either by walking for some low-impact videos/routines I found. So far so good, running a day behind, but I also needed a rest day in there. 

What has you motivated? Have gained 8lbs. I know I'm supposed to be gaining now, but I feel like it all came on super fast and I don't want to continue that pace. Admittedly at least one of those pounds is due to poor eating this weekend (chili, beer bread, Chipotle, pizza, Girl Scout cookies...), but still. 

GTKY: What is your favorite sports blooper or gif? Ha, no idea! I need to think on it. I do remember a few times earlier in his career when Desean Jackson would run the ball into the end zone and go nuts celebrating...except the ball squeaked out from his arm just short of the goal line. Was funny, but also aggravating as an Eagles fan
  • Loading the player...
  • What's a "small win" you have had recently? I've been working out consistently (5 days a week) for 5 week now! 

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going? Now that working out seems to be going well, I'm focusing on upping my water intake to 100 oz and eating better (i.e. less brownies).

What has you motivated? My kids and my scale. I love being able to move around easily, picking up my girls and playing with them on the floor. The scale reminds me to grab an apple instead of cake when the hunger hits. I know how hard it is to shed those last 5 lbs.

GTKY: What is your favorite sports blooper or gif? I can't gif on my work computer 😭
  • My small win is getting up everyday and working out. It’s been 3 weeks now. 

I am trying to go to bed earlier. DS1 has been waking us up really early and I’m just not a good person when I don’t get enough sleep. I’m struggling to get in bed by 9 and turn lights off by 9:30 but the mornings after I manage to do it are better, which is my motivation! 

What about that one with the volleyball where the ball just keeps hitting the same guy over and over? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • What's a "small win" you have had recently?  I've been getting in at least 30 minutes of activity 6 days a week.

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going?  I feel like I'm gaining weight too quickly.  I'm eating very healthy except maybe once a week when we get a takeout dinner so I feel like the issue is that I'm just eating too much.  I'm expecting my doc may say something about my weight when I go in for my appointment next week.  In the meantime I'm trying to stay focused on only eating when I'm hungry and I'm avoiding the urge to calorie count.  I know that's not the point right now and I can't let myself start obsessing about it.  

What has you motivated?  I just want to stay healthy for me and the baby.
  • marebear15marebear15 member
    edited February 2021
    @ellieemc26 - I usually start packing on the pounds around this time. I'll have a week that I will gain a pound a day, and then suddenly it'll stabilize for 3 weeks. It usually averages out to .5-1lb a week, but that scale will just rise! I've ended each pregnancy around 30 lbs of total weight gain, so about average what they expect you to gain.
  • @ellieemc26 Fwiw, I realized that my perception was off from reality. I thought I'd gained 7-8lbs in two weeks, when really it's been over about 8 or 9 weeks (putting it in that 0.5-1lb/week range). I've always struggled with my weight, so I guess it's just ingrained in me to worry about it. If you are actually gaining a lot faster than you expected, like @marebear15 said it might stabilize. Even if it is more than the average amount of weight in the end, it's not guaranteed to be a bad thing. My MIL is small (and fit) and gained 40+lbs, my aunt who was also athletic gained 60lbs. Sometimes it just happens (MIL said she took "eating for 2" to heart, but my aunt was doing her best to be healthy).
  • What's a "small win" you have had recently?
    I joined FIT4Baby so have been doing 2-3 prenatal workouts a week for almost 6 weeks now! It is good to have that accountability in my life again. And I am so thirsty now that it is much easier to drink at least 80 Oz of water. 

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going? Now that workouts and water are trending right, I just want to increase them both. Workouts to 5 days a week (just adding a few days of walking) and water to 100 Oz. 

What has you motivated? I am happy that so far I can pretty much keep up with DD, but I feel myself slowing down and I don’t want to do that too soon and lose play time with her before it is necessary. 

GTKY: What is your favorite sports blooper or gif?  I got nothing haha. Was hoping to be inspired. I am such a clutz and DD is so coordinated that we are afraid DS is going to take after me lol. 
  • @ellieemc26 second @akoros - sometimes it just happens. I always struggle with weight gain too, and have a hard time losing. With DS1, I was exercising daily, eating well (literally craved lettuce for 3 weeks straight) and gained only 5 lbs by 20 weeks.... Then 50 lbs the second 20 weeks 😳 a lot of that was fluid, and I didn't have to do much to lose the first 45 lbs (the last 10.... Ugh lol). With ds2 I was just trying to survive, ate like crap, didn't exercise.... Also gained exactly 55 like with DS1. That round was harder to lose for various reasons. My Drs never said anything about it. Both my kids were large. Anticipating the same thing this time (😭-it's so uncomfortable by the end). My mom gained 40 lbs with me, but 60 with my brother so I think it's partly genetics too. Anecdotally it seems like my friends gain more with boy pregnancies than girl ones (but that's totally just an observation in my circle).

What's a "small win" you have had recently? Went over to my in-laws house to check their treadmill- it works so I have another option in the snow/cold weather we have! Haven't been good about working out with the weather we have right now. 

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going? Trying to get back into a routine. When I tested my in-laws treadmill I was able to run 2.5 miles which I was super pumped about as it's been too icy/snowy to run outside recently, so I've just been walking. 

What has you motivated? The more I'm active = the better I sleep and the better I feel achiness- wise. 

GTKY: What is your favorite sports blooper or gif? I love the old NFL bad lip reading videos. They always crack me up!
  • thanks for the comments back ladies, I know I'm probably overreacting somewhat because our bodies are just going to do what they do while we are pregnant.  I also had weight issues in the past so its really hard to hop on the scale and see the number suddenly go up a couple pounds.  I keep hoping it will stabilize but I think its also an issue of having gained too much in the first tri.  I was overly worried about getting the correct nutrition in and was really just eating because I felt like I had to eat things for the nutritional value and not because of actually being hungry, I hate to even admit I gained almost 10 pounds by 13 or 14 weeks and I think its supposed to be more like 5.  And now it just doesn't seem to be slowing.
  • What's a "small win" you have had recently?
    I've been consistently 'working out' in some regard just about every day.  I have rediscovered yoga and I'm really enjoying some of the classes I have found on youtube

My goal is to move every day.  My eating is out of control and I can't get enough sugar.  

What has you motivated?
    I like how I feel after a workout, even if its just 30 min or so.  

History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @ellieemc26 sending you ♥️. At this point the number is only going to go up. I personally don't weigh myself often at home during pregnancy bc it is hard to see the number go up. I know some people ask their drs not to tell them their weight (close eye while being weighed). I try to focus on doing things that make me feel strong (it makes me feel better). This time I'm trying to cut out late night snacking too bc that's always a downfall for me. 
  • I like @_orchid_'s note about doing things that make you feel strong. Weight is going to go up, which can be upsetting even when we know that's exactly what is supposed to happen. Strength you have a bit more control over, and can make you feel healthy/fit even if the scale disagrees.
  • @ellieemc26 Weight is such a poor measurement of health even when not pregnant. And while pregnant there is a lot going on that causes weight changes, increase blood supply, extra breast tissue (seriously I think I have gained 5 lbs there alone), water retention, and extra muscle from lugging around all that extra stuff. That doesn’t even count the baby and the placenta and the amniotic fluid. It’s a lot. 

I like what Orchid said about focus on being strong, I pushed for 2 hours with DD and I was able to do squats for a good hour of it even with an epidural. Keep working that core and arm/leg strength! You will be grateful during labor and even the recovery after (hauling an 8lb baby around in a car seat with a diaper bag is hard!). 

I hope you are able to let go of some of the stigma that comes with weight gain, but I know if can be much more daunting when there is history there. Don’t be afraid to reach out to a therapist if you find yourself going the wrong direction with your relationship with food. Let us know what we can do to support you! 
  • @_orchid_ Yes to not weighing at home often!! At the beginning I was doing this all too often and driving myself nuts! 

• AlliDBAlliDB member
    edited February 2021
    A little late to the party here as it is already Feb 10! But definitely thankful for a check in :smile: Activity seems to be going well, but I just want to eat ALLLLLL the junk food. So any suggestions on snacking healthier are appreciated!! 

What's a "small win" you have had recently? Recently have switched from running to a run/walk interval workout and so far I am (surprisingly) loving it. It feels so much better on my body and doesn't make the treadmill seem so awful. 

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going? Getting in activity around 5-6x per week. Some days activities are strength workouts or hard runs. Others its a simple walk, either way I am just focusing on keeping my body moving! I am also focusing on more water intake. Which makes me go to the bathroom all the time, but I guess thats just more steps? :sweat_smile:

What has you motivated? I realize that a "fit pregnancy" does not guarantee an easy delivery or recovery, but I don't think it can hurt. I just keep reminding myself that I am doing this for babe. 

• @AlliDB your comment about steps to the bathroom reminded me I wanted to see if anyone wants to do a group challenge for March? My watch has an activity goal each month, so for this month I am doing ~400 calorie burn a day. But thought it might be fun to do steps, miles, or something as a group for March? I know everyone is in a different place of fitness, so we could each set our own goals of make it somehow attainable but a challenge? 

Anyone interested? 
  • @ramzlau I'd be interested!! 
  • @ramzlau I would be up for that too!

And a big thanks to everyone for the supportive comments yesterday.  You all reminded me that the important thing is to focus on being healthy.  As long as I'm eating right and getting my exercise in I shouldn't worry about my weight gain.  Thanks for talking me off the ledge!
  • @ellieemc26 Echoing what the other ladies have said and adding, if you're comfortable, step on the scale backwards when you're at the doctor's. I gained a lot with DS1 and was insanely swollen by the end of it but my doctors weren't concerned with my weight gain. One of the OBs in the practice I went to at the time said that some women gain a lot no matter what they do and try not to stress about it. 

What's a "small win" you have had recently? I've been able to continue exercising at least 30 minutes a day/7 times a week which is up from 4-5 times a week during the first trimester. I've been exercising consistently for the past year which is much more than I had before and I'm happy to continue it. 

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going? I'm focusing on continuing to move and not eat everything under the sun and trying to get my water intake up.

What has you motivated? Hoping this will help recovery from a RCS.

• @ramzlau ooh if be up for that too. Sounds fun! 

I've been so proud of myself lately. I have been able to work out almost every single day so far in the 2nd trimester. I get at least 5 days a week in for sure guaranteed. 

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going? I've got a gym downstairs in our basement and I've made it a goal to use my treadmill everyday for at least 30-45 mins. Then I lift my weights and do my pregnancy exercises/stretches, squats etc.. I've also signed up for free online pregnancy classes on FB. I also do tap dance once a week at a dance studio. Its going good so far overall. 

What has you motivated? Not gaining a crazy amount of weight has me motivated LOL also, that when I work out I feel so much better after and I want to stay toned for labour and birth and for recovery. I feel staying active helps keep my aches and pains to a minimum. 

GTKY: What is your favorite sports blooper or gif? I dont really watch any sports so nothing?? Lol 🤷‍♀️

I'm sorry but I have to post this pic just cause I'm so proud of the arm muscle and toning I've gained lately lol Feeling good at 5 and half months pregnant 😁

• @mindyb2019 Way to go with that toning!
  • I just ordered a spin bike! Excited to use it. I had been taking walks but it's so cold and icy now 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Daaaayum @mindyb2019!! Your arms are amazing! Do you follow a specific video or just do different things on your own? I wish my arms looked like yours!! 

I really need to start making more of an effort with weights. Haha I will run 15 miles for fun but 15 minutes of lifting is like torture for me. I usually do low weight/lots of reps but think I need to switch it up to heavy/low reps just to get it done. 
  • @ruemcclanahan we have a spin bike and it's been a lifesaver in the cold!  Even on my most unmotivated says I can always at least force myself to get on that thing and pedal for a half hour.  Of course the more weight I gain the more the seat hurts my butt... :D

@_orchid_ you may want to check with your doc before switching to heavy weights if you're not used to them.  My doc actually told me to switch to light weights with high reps.  I don't like it, but the program I'm following specifically uses lighter weights so I'm hoping I maintain some strength!
  • @ramzlau thanks 🥰

@_orchid_ lol thanks girl 😁 No I dont follow a video for the weights at all. I just do specific exercises on my own. We also have a workout weight bench that I use too that helps. I hope to continue to lift  weights throughout my whole pregnancy if I can providing its safe till the end. 
  • @_orchid_ I'm totally the opposite. Running sounds like torture to me, and I usually get stressed thinking about cardio, but have no problem grabbing some weights and doing a strength workout. 
  • edited February 2021
    Sooooo much exercise this weekend! 

Saturday - I did a 3.5 km walk and a 4.5 km bike ride. 

Sunday - I did a 3.5 km walk and a 5.5 km bike ride. 

The rest of the week is nice too so I will continue my long walks this week!

What's a "small win" you have had recently? The above! 

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going? My goal is 3 walks a week and 1 workout (realistically don’t have time for much more than that sadly with my working schedule and toddler) but I’ve been successful at it the past 2 months. 

What has you motivated? I had a great recovery with my son and I credit it to being active until the day he was born. Once on maternity leave, my walking goal increases to 5kms per day. Hopefully this time with a planned c/s and this, I’ll have an even better recovery! 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• What's a "small win" you have had recently? I've worked out 7 out of the last 8 days, and I've closed my move ring on my Apple watch 8 days in a row. Small victories!

What habits/goals are you focusing on? How are they going? Fitness. I'm focusing on exercise right now, but I know that I need to start working on nutrition a bit more. Baby steps. 

What has you motivated? I have 15 weeks-ish to get my body ready for delivery. I was in the best shape of my life before I got morning sickness (all day sickness) at 6 weeks, so starting over is wildly humbling, but I need to get ready for this baby boy.

An oldie but a goodie:
    Olympic fail GIF collection - Album on Imgur

Me: 32 years old
    DH: 33 years old
    Married in May 16, 2015
         TTC #1 (on and off) since September 2015
    DS1 Due 6.7.2021