October 2021 Moms
Options

Product spotlight series: Baby Carriers 2/15/21

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... baby carriers! Ring slings, wraps, you name it. I know we talked a bit about carriers on the GTKY thread but we can go into full detail and ask more questions here! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [baby carrier]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]:

For FTMs:
  • [Carrier(s)] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Here is the schedule for the product spotlights to keep track of the topics and threads: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sI-VJ1F71kVneOVUjKUs7hEChObe7H8_GufjE1XgzSg/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to offer suggestions for other products or changes you think can be made. This is copied from S21 BMB so thanks to those going before us :-) 

Re: Product spotlight series: Baby Carriers 2/15/21

• Options
    @cait32 I loved the pattern I got in lillebaby, but it just never felt right on so I never used it. My son didn't like being worn until later, maybe 7 months, so I have a few tulas which I liked before I got my kinderpack!
    I'm insanely shopping for a baby size kinderpack already  :#
  • Options
    I had a khan wrap for a while but I didn’t love it. I didn’t feel like I could keep DD supported enough in it. I ended up switching to a $20 carrier from Walmart and loved it! We still occasionally use it and DD is almost 2! 
    TTC History

Me: 26 DH: 27

TTC #1 | June '18-August '18 | DD | Born April 21, 2019 | Due May 10, 2019

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

TTC#2 | June '20-February '21 | DS | Due October 27, 2021

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like stretchy fabric wraps when they are newborns, had a moby with first DS but was gifted a Solly with second DS which I loved! We also have a lillebaby complete embossed which I really like for when they pass the newborn phase and my back needed the extra lumbar support 
  • Options
    I loved having a ring sling for day to day babywearing and really liked the babybjorn for when we would go out. We also have a lillebaby but personally I didn’t love it. 
  • Options
    gingermama46gingermama46 member
    edited February 2021
    I think I am going to look for a new wrap for this baby - I have a Keababies one and it was fine but the tie always got loose and was a giant pain in the ass most of the time. I think a K'tan would be better, maybe. 

Wanted to link this though - wouldn't work for newborn, baby would need to have good head control. I got this right before my son and I flew solo to Phoenix when he was five months and it is super supportive and the pockets are great. Has been our go-to carrier. Amazon.com : MiaMily Hipster Plus Hip Seat Baby Carrier with 6 Carry Positions incl. Ergonomic Forward-Facing, Built-in Storage, Adjustable Waist Belt with Lumbar Support, for Newborn to Toddler, Dark Blue : Baby

I also have Tula hand me down which was nice and using the newborn insert was easy. 
  • Options
    i loved my solly wrap (stretchy fabric) for the newborn phase, I used a beco Gemini for young infant and then used my ergo until they’re walking/don’t want to be worn. I also got a mesh ring sling for the pool and loved that.
  • Options
    I tried K’tan and Moby with DD in 2015 and I needed more structure. I got an Ergobaby (structured) with the infant insert and loved it. I really want to try the Ergobaby 360 this time around since it has so many different positions. After reading all these posts I’m interested in Tula too.
  • Options
    We used the ergobaby360, we got it because we thought it would work well for both my husband and I. Luckily our son did like it until he stopped like being worn. I have friends who can still where their two year olds and I am kinda jealous.  

I tried a couple others but the ergobaby360 was the only one my son liked. Hoping to use other options this time around. 

• Options
    Wow, these products are expensive. Are there any good sites for purchasing baby items on clearance or used?
  • Options
    @noprobalo Look up kids consignment sales in your area! Just Between Friends is a big one. Also Once Upon a Child.  And of course fb marketplace!
  • Options
    We used a wrap style when DD was an infant and a lillebaby when she was a couple months old. If you are your partner are v different heights/shapes you should BOTH try carriers on. As cait32 said, the most important thing is how it feels on your body. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    @noprobalo marketplace on Facebook! I got a ton of second hand stuff when I had my first. 
  • Options
    @demimondaine @bcliffee1 OK, I will keep an eye out. Can most of the products on here be easily adjusted to different body sizes? My husband and I are shaped pretty differently.
  • Options
    @noprobalo The only thing that comes in a size really is the k'tan. Because it's pre-wrapped, you order basically your shirt size.
    My husband was plus size when my son was born, so we got a lillebaby because it was available with a waist extender.
    Kinderpack also comes with standard or plus size straps.
  • Options
    We have both a lilebaby software structured carrier and a wildbird ring sling. I like both for different reasons. There isn't really a best SSC or wrap/sling, it all just depends on your body and your baby preferences. It's hard to pick! I kept reading reviews that Lillebaby was better for shorter women, which I am one, and I liked that it came with many ways to wear it (criss cross, front carry, back carry, face in, face out, and didn't need an infant insert for newborns. #1 and I both loved it. 

For my second, I knew I wanted a sling because most wraps seemed too complex for me, but the SSC was impossible to wear while I was healing from my c-section. #2 ended up hatinf the SSC but loving the ring sling, so that is what we used with her. 

We also have a hiking carrier - Kelly- which we love for the more adventurous trips. 

I wish there was an easy - get this one because its clearly the best carrier, but that's not the case, you just need to figure out what features you want and go for it. 
  • Options
    @vampirina which hiking carrier did you get? I wish we had gotten one for my son. 
  • Options
    @vampirina @tingsmom we also have a Kelly hiking carrier. Hand me down from DH's boss, it's missing the sun shade. But has been really great so far!
  • Options
    @tingsmom it is a Kelty!  I'm not sure of the specific model, but it was a middle of the road one at about $150 or so. I do wish it had more pockets for water bottles and what not, buts its a great pack for our needs. 
  • Options
    Favorite [baby carrier]: Tula Explore Coast
    Link/picture:
    Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I paid more then I'd like to admit for it, around $300 but you could get them for around $170 on the website ( https://babytula.com/collections/explore-baby-carrier ) The one I have is a full wrap conversion which is why it costed much more.
    What you like about it: I love everything about my tula! Its so soft and my daughter almost always falls asleep in it. She will stay in it for hours if I'd let her. You can front or back carry and you can start using it from nb(7lbs) without having to use a different insert. 
    What you don't like about it, if anything:
    Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: 
    Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]: I also love ring slings for the newborn stage, however I gotta admit that I haven't used mine since I got my tula, we went right into it from the start.♡
  • Options
    @noprobalo when I used to live in Columbus they had a baby wearing group where you could go and get help trying on different carriers and learning how to use them, rent different ones out (for free!), buy and sell, reach out and borrow from other moms... it was amazing! I wonder if there’s a local baby wearing group near you!