Health & Exercise

How to gain a healthy amount of weight?

I'm almost 8 weeks with my first. I have always been obese, and knew we were going to be TTC and wanted to get my body into a healthier place for baby. I slowly lost about 50 lbs before getting pregnant, mostly with Weight Watchers. My main goal was creating healthy habits that I could continue through pregnancy, and further in life.

I'm still considered obese, with a current BMI around 34. I know the measurement of a BMI is outdated, etc, but I also work in Healthcare where I hear BMI mentioned a lot, specifically in regards to epidurals and C-Sections. I want to have the easiest time possible, and the lowest chance of complications for me and baby.

I'm very aware that gaining weight during a pregnancy is healthy, and necessary. I also do not want to gain more than is necessary (apparently 11 to 20 lbs for me) as I plan to be back in a weightloss mode after baby, to get even healthier. Has anyone had similar experiences and has been able to gain only the necessary amount of weight?

I don't want to be too strict with myself, but TBH, I'm a junk food lover. I have already found myself thinking "you're pregnant now, eat whatever you want!" But, that is a very slippery slope as I can gain weight from poor eating like nobody's business 🙄.

I plan to keep attending WW meetings as long as I can just to keep my head out of stuffing my face, but I will not be tracking points. I have been loosely tracking calories, just to see where I'm sitting but trying to mostly maintain right now. I haven't talked to my midwife about it yet, my first appointment with her is Sept 15th and I will definitely be bringing it up.

Does anyone have any advice? Or similar experiences?

Re: How to gain a healthy amount of weight?

• at more frequently. When you're underweight, you may feel full faster. Choose nutrient-rich foods. Try smoothies and shakes. Watch when you drink. Make every bite count.
  • If you’re underweight and looking to gain weight, it’s important to do it right. Consuming junk foods may help you gain weight initially, but it can increase your risk of heart disease, and diabetes. A healthier approach to weight gain involves gaining a balanced amount of muscle mass and subcutaneous fat rather than a lot of unhealthy belly fat. A high percentage of body fat also increases the chances of developing type 2 diabetes and other health problems. To gain weight healthily, focus on eating nutrient-dense foods and living an overall healthy lifestyle that involves exercising, getting enough sleep, and reducing stress.