1st Trimester

5 weeks and bbt drop; impending miscarriage??

med1103med1103 member
edited February 2021 in 1st Trimester
I am 5 weeks 1 day today; yesterday my bbt was 97.87 and today it was 97.57.  I know temp is supposed to fluctuate in early pregnancy, but would this 0.3 degree drop be considered a big drop? Anyone else have a drop like that and still have a successful pregnancy? I know temp drop can be a sign of impending miscarriage 😟.  I had a miscarriage a few months ago and saw temps dropping so I am just very anxious and want it to all work out! TIA!

Re: 5 weeks and bbt drop; impending miscarriage??

• @med1103 I am sorry for your loss.  But, MANY things can cause your temperature to fluctuate and drop.  Once you confirm PG (which it sounds like you did by taking a test), I'd recommend to stop taking your temperature.  If you are concerned, you can call your doctor to request beta HCGs, which would let you know how the PG is progressing (i.e. if they double every 48 hours). 

I recommend that you find a therapist to deal with your anxiety from loss and TTCAL.  Because honestly there is nothing you can do at this point besides being the healthiest that you can be (physically and mentally).  If you are going to have a MC, there is nothing you can do to stop it. Focus on each day, each hour, even each minute if you have to.  You are PG now, and you can give this baby all of the love that you can now.  Just because you can't do anything about the outcome of your PG, does not mean you can't give that baby all of the love and care (by caring for yourself) you can for as long as it exists, even if that's 6 weeks in your womb, 10 weeks in your womb, or 3 years on earth.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• I have kept temping this pregnancy. Mainly because I use Tempdrop and got a new sensor and I want to make sure it works for awhile before I store it away. I have had several instances where my temp dropped like that, stayed level for a few days or a week and then shot back up. It actually makes a sorta wave pattern. I am tracking my RHR too and that took a dive about 2 weeks ago and that gave me anxiety. It dropped from 73 to 66 which felt huge. Baby is fine. Try to relax and if it causes too much anxiety stop temping. 
  • Loading the player...
  • As others have said, your temp can drop for a number of reasons, and 0.3 degrees is not much of a drop. Additionally bbt is used to see trends. No individual temperature tells you anything.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • med1103 said:
    I am 5 weeks 1 day today; yesterday my bbt was 97.87 and today it was 97.57.  I know temp is supposed to fluctuate in early pregnancy, but would this 0.3 degree drop be considered a big drop? Anyone else have a drop like that and still have a successful pregnancy? I know temp drop can be a sign of impending miscarriage 😟.  I had a miscarriage a few months ago and saw temps dropping so I am just very anxious and want it to all work out! TIA!

DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::