April 2021 Moms
Options

MPM/nesting 1/25

What is everyone making this week? 

Has the nesting bug hit yet, if so what are you up to?

Re: MPM/nesting 1/25

• Options
    For dinners this week, we’ll be having (not sure what order yet) tacos, hot dogs, something with pasta, and also ravioli. DH ordered the groceries last night and I can’t remember what all he bought!

I have been nesting! Or I want to - sciatica took me down last week. Most of my nesting energies are focused on decluttering right now, and also wanting to buy new things for the baby. I realize purging and buying don’t exactly mesh well, but I’ll definitely be buying less than I’m getting rid of so I figure it’s okay 😂 I’ve decluttered our bedroom, part of the closet that will be the baby’s eventually, and also the coat closet. Our basement needs a ton of organizing and that’s where I should be working but it’s cold in there and such a big job. 😬 I just feel like if I get rid of a ton of stuff, we’ll have more room for the baby and all of his things! 
  • Options
    Full on nesting over here! I spent all day yesterday washing 0-3 clothes, making homemade pizza, made cookies, changed bedding...and today I'm exhausted and damn near immobile but planning to go through either DD or DS's current clothes and put away what's too small. Also going to be washing my swaddle blankets and probably sheets and such for new baby.

Unfortunately for my family, my nesting hasn't really taken the shape of legitimate meal planning this pregnancy LOL...I'm flying by the seat of my pants over here, trying to use up the random stuff we have in our pantry!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You know, 4 babies and I've never nested? 
  • Options
    Monday ------- kale quinoa salad
    Tuesday ------- chana masala
    Wednesday --- shakshuka
    Thursday ------ cauliflower cheddar soup
    Friday  ---------- pizza (chickpea crust)

I'm not sure if this is nesting because I usually like baking and decluttering/organizing/gathering new stuff but in the last few weeks I have:

gone through and put away all of my son's 24 month clothes that were still in the dresser, and replaced his pants with 3t pants (how is he so big  :'( )
    got a used dresser, painted it white, and washed and put away all nb and 0-3 months clothes
    bought a crib and crib mattress, gotten extra crib sheets an a crib skirt from my buy nothing group
    baked a bunch of stuff

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Wow you guys are so productive! I have been reorganizing stored clothes and taking out summer/spring clothes to find a dress to wear for our maternity/family shoot.  Our guest room/MIL/DH's closet was a complete disaster and I managed to clear some stuff out this weekend.  My MIL is a terrible hoarder and I found tons of trash/emptyboxes/bags that she left behind after the last time she stayed.  She had a box full of empty toiletry bottles and like 3 boxes of stained/ripped clothes.  I just said f- it and threw all her crap out.  She is always welcome to stay with us but I draw the line at storing all her garbage in my guest room. 

In terms of food...I have been trying to avoid inflammatory foods since inflammation increases your risk of getting covid-19.  The sad thing is all the best foods are inflammatory: enriched wheat flour, sugar, fried food, processed meat, and dairy.  I had veggie tacos and orange baked chicken with sautéed mushrooms and zucchini but would really love to binge on some cookies and ice cream.  
  • Options
    We’ve been living off of DoorDash for the past week because our sewer has a root and backs up when we use too much water. So minimal dishes, no laundry, fast showers, fun stuff. It’s getting fixed today so it’ll be time to stock up on groceries once they confirm we’re good to go. 
    As for nesting, I feel like it’s all I think about. Everything from big house projects, purging everywhere (almost done with this part I think), and buying/planning all of the baby stuff. I saw my sister for the first time in six months over the weekend since the sewer had gotten so bad we couldn’t reliably flush anymore, and she sent me home with a ton of baby stuff to get organized. She’s been a foster parent for years but has adopted her three kids now and is hopefully not getting any more any time soon, so she has a ton of baby stuff to share.
  • Options
    Totally nesting - I went out and bought all of the beginning baby stuff I wanted to have stocked before baby gets here (toiletries, wipes, diapers, medicine, and postpartum recovery stuff for me - disposable underwear, breast pads, etc.) last week and while I did that, I bought baby laundry detergent so I could wash all of the baby clothes we've gotten so far and put them away. This was my plan since our dresser/changing table was supposed to arrive last week. BUT then during the delivery, the guys accidentally slammed the dresser into our wall and put a big mark on it, so we had to refuse the delivery :( Everything takes soooo long during covid to be delivered that I almost said eh f it, I'll keep it, but Pottery Barn furniture is too expensive to just accept a huge ding in the very front top of the dresser. Soooo I put off washing baby's clothes until I can put them away properly, but we got our car seat this week, crib is set up, and our rocker/recliner is supposed to be delivered early February. 

That reminds me though, I wanted to ask - how many diapers does everyone recommend having on hand for when the baby first comes home from the hospital? I figure I don't want too many newborn ones because what if my baby is big and doesn't even fit in them or outgrows them really quickly, and I also don't know which brand I'm going to like or will fit baby best. So I bought two small packs of newborn diapers in two different brands and then two or three packs of the first size in different brands to test out. I feel like that's kind of a good starting place and then whatever ones we actually like/fit best, DH can just run out and get them in the first week or whatever. What does everyone else usually do??

Meal wise, I don't particularly like planning a whole week in advance, but here are some of my go to's over the last week and plans for this coming week:

Breakfast
    Kodiak protein pancakes (they are actually really good and very healthy - they come in multiple flavors, I've been eating the cinnamon oat for breakfast and the dark chocolate when I want a cake-like dessert substitute). Sometimes I eat them with syrup, sometimes peanut butter and banana, sometimes greek yogurt and berries. 
    Easy scrambles with eggs, bacon or ham, onion, peppers, etc.

Lunch/Dinner
    Apparently I can easily eat Chick-fil-A chicken strips on my GD diet, so I've been eating them here and there and making my own sweet potato fries in the air fryer. I season pre-cut sweet potatoes from the grocery store with salt, pepper, olive oil, paprika, and garlic powder - so good! 

Creamy garlic chicken with protein pasta - been using protein angel hair pasta as a carby base for meals lately and it tastes exactly like regular pasta but is much healthier. My fav combo was garlic, onions, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, pancetta and some chicken - delicious. 

Chicken quesadillas with veggies and salsa

Filets topped with tomatoes and burrata 

Halibut with garlic butter and steamed veggies 

Stir Fry w/ brown rice, chicken, veggies

• Options
    I'm in full nesting mode too! The nursery is painted/decorated, the furniture is all in. I stocked it (so far) with diapers, wipes, bath supplies, diaper cream and baby hygiene things (the FridaBaby things we've been gifted). I washed and put away most of the clothes and linens we have so far. I'm just waiting for our completion discount code to get the remaining items from our Amazon registry to complete the nursery. I've also made a list of deep cleaning projects for our house and started tackling the stuff on the list; so far I've cleaned/organized the basement, conditioned our wood furniture, cleaned and conditioned the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, scrubbed the walls, dusted the baseboards and vents, deep cleaned the upholstery and deep cleaned the microwave, Keurig and oven. I feel accomplished, but also like I still have a ton to do, and I'm tired! 
  • Options
    I feel like I cannot nest!  We are adding a room onto our house (out of room with an extra kid) - that construction is supposed to start in March and finish around the time the baby should get here so there is literally nothing I can do to prepare room-wise until it’s done. 

I have ordered (and received and organized) everything I will need for the hospital and for pumping once the baby’s here, and packed some of it in a suitcase for the hospital, though, so maybe that counts?
  • Options
    @BuckeyeNut05 We literally just finished adding a room (really, combining our old guest room with the unused formal living to make a large downstairs master) after our full kitchen gut over the summer. I have my SIL coming to help me clean all of the dust that escaped to the other downstairs rooms despite my efforts to contain it. It's been all I can do to just keep things semi-tidy during that process, so I am dying for this cleaning to get done so I can finally start getting NB things pulled out of storage and organized.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Meals this week:
    Mon: Korean beef w/ broccoli (SO GOOD)
    http://www.lizzywrite.com/2010/05/korean-beef.html
    Tues: Quinoa stuffed peppers
    https://afoodcentriclife.com/turkey-quinoa-stuffed-peppers/
    Weds: Greek sheet pan chicken
    https://gimmedelicious.com/sheet-pan-greek-chicken-veggies-pita-pockets/
    Thurs: Black bean burgers
    https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11831/black-bean-burger/
    Fri: Something from the freezer

No nesting going on yet surprisingly. I just picked up some extra work hours and I think most of my remaining mental capacity is going to that. Yall are inspiring me though. I'd like to order some NB diapers and a bottle of Dreft (I always just buy 1 big bottle and by the time we're out we're washing the baby's stuff with ours lol)...and an outfit or two. I've started looking into blankets (each kiddo gets a special blanket and lovie). I wasn't going to do a registry this time but I may on amazon for the completion coupon - thanks for the reminder on that @bbrahmbhatt!
  • Options
    I still have a bottle of Dreft from last time that we didn't use up.  I honestly don't really get why it's better to use that than regular detergent that's unscented.  

So far I'm 1/2 on the dinners planned.  Last night my husband and I were too tired (and I was too sore) to make dinner so my son had breakfast for dinner and we had whatever we found in the fridge after he went to bed.   I'm thinking that may be happening more frequently in the coming months despite my best intentions.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our family isn’t much for meal planning aside from a general “these things sound good this week”.. 

Nesting, however, is full swing.. like chugged a 20oz RedBull after a pot of coffee full swing. Lol. It’s satisfying and exhausting all at once and I’m pretty sure my husband wants to slip a Benadryl in my coffee in the morning with all of my ‘honey do’ lists! Haha. I’ve moved the armoire and dresser into our room as he will be sharing with hubby and I until we move rooms around a bit later. I’ve managed to declutter everything from the older kids toys and clothes to the Tupperware wear cabinet in the kitchen! Still need to wash everything and shop for a bit more but like many of you, I’m waiting for that completion code.

I’m having a hard time resisting to deep clean at the moment. I want to get it out of the way but I know it’ll have to be done again before baby is here so I don’t wanna waste my time or break my body for nothing or just to do it again. Lol. Not only is it the middle of a crazy yucky mucky winter where I live, but I foster kitties as I’ve said before, plus have my own and a beasty of a dog so there’s always something to clean up, especially with the little foster kitten we recently took in. He’s a menace.. into everything and still learning his manners :D I just hope my body is still up for it in like a month, I think the little s*** will have his “hand/eye” coordination then. FX Lol. 
  • Options
    Nesting hard but also in a lazy way!
    Food this week will be lemon chicken with green beans and roasted potatoes, curry with chicken, pork tacos, and probably some bagged salad kits. No idea what I'll have on what day though! 
  • Options
    @bluey101321 same with the meal planning! I pick out a few recipes for the week but I feel like I don't end up making half of them because they don't sound good anymore lol. 
  • Options
    @bbrahmbhatt That’s usually what happens in my house too! Set meat out to thaw in the morning and by the time evening rolls around I’m like, nope.. sounds blah! :D
  • Options
    Also, I was wondering - does anyone have any organizers for their nursery dresser drawers that they particularly like, like to separate the clothing and such?

And just curious, do you personally keep your diapers, wipes, etc. on top of the dresser in some kind of caddy or whatever, or do you store them inside of a dresser/changing table? I am seeing both things on pinterest and just curious how everyone else organizes. 
  • Options
    @theblondebump I keep mine in a rolling cart in our room. We have the same cart in the living room. I keep diapers, wipes, cream, changing pad, bags, hand sanitizer, burp cloths, and in the past, a variety of breastfeeding supplies - nursing pads, nipple cream, etc.
  • Options
    @theblondebump we have an IKEA changing table from our last that we’ll probably reuse and in the drawers we have some of their drawer organizers with all of the stuff in them.  I only pump, so all of that stuff is in my nightstand as opposed to the baby’s room. 
  • Options
    @theblondebump I remember keeping my diapers and stuff in a tote in the living room, where most of the diaper changes ended up happening. Then we had a similar tote set up on the shelf of the changing table in DD's room. And that reminds me: I need to come up with a system for this kid!
  • Options
    @theblondebump we used a basket for our girls’ diaper supplies that had different sections in it. I’ll try to remember to get a picture of it later - we’ll use it for this baby too. It just sat on the dresser right next to the changing table because I liked having things in reach while having a squirmy messy baby in front of me 😂
  • Options
    @juliebird6 I love that idea! I may do that for this baby now that we live in a house with stairs. I probably won’t want to go upstairs every time he needs a new diaper! 
  • Options
    @theblondebump we keep diapers in one of the dresser drawers and wipes in a basket on top of the dresser. In the early days I have another stash in the pack and play attached basket thats in our room and we also keep some on a shelf on our TV stand on our first floor. You'll figure out what you prefer!
  • Options
    I keep diapers and wipes in top drawer of the changing table/dresser. We have a very small house though so it’s not really much effort for us to just change on the changing table. I’m sure if we had a two level or a bigger space it would be better to store in a more mobile place.
  • Options
    @theblondebump we keep ours in basket on top of the changing table - I’ll snap a picture tomorrow! For when the baby is tiny I usually have a makeshift similar basket for our bedroom and/or the 2nd floor of our house. I think if we had a bigger dresser I might have put inside a drawer, but we’ve had the same one since #1 and it always stays with the smallest babe in the nursery
  • Options
    @theblondebump when we get to her room, I’ll keep the diapers and stuff in her dresser drawer. We have a changing pad and caddy downstairs, and while she’s little and staying in our room we’ll have the changing pad and another caddy on our dresser. We also move the glider to our room until she’s sleeping in her room full time. 
  • Options
    we’re expected to get 22 inches of snow today so plenty of time to nest!! 
  • Options
    @kadeephd 😆😆😆
  • Options
    I realized this weekend that my brain is in nesting mode but my body just won’t get on board with it 😂 This darn sciatica makes everything so difficult! And I don’t want to just ask DH to do it because then it’s not my nesting. Crazy, right? 😜
  • Options
    @kadeephd your style is a lot more like mine. I may claim to have organized spaces, but it's all a lie.
  • Options
    @riff323 Yeah I try, but my efforts at "organization" typically devolve into messes.

Pregnancy Ticker