September 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Strollers w/o 1.25

Sorry forgot to post this on Monday!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... strollers! This can be a tough decision for FTM's with so many to weed through! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [stroller]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [strollers]:

For FTMs:
  • [Stroller(s)] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Here is the schedule for the product spotlights to keep track of the topics and threads: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BFKfcrp0DX8dvYklwMEyqaex6ixXUoJ2zRbYirApXd4/edit?usp=sharing 
*TW LC*
Me & MH: 32
DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
TTC #2: 12/2019
Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

Re: Product Spotlight: Strollers w/o 1.25

• Favorite [stroller]: Uppababy Vista

Link/picture: https://uppababy.com/vista/

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$$ definitely one of the pricier strollers on the market but we bought ours from Amazon when the previous year's model went on sale and then used the Amazon registry discount to get an additional 15% off. So we got a new 2017 Vista in Feb 2018 for about $675 (after discounts and taxes). Notes about the Amazon registry, you aren't eligible for the completion discount until 14 after the registry was started. You can use the discount twice but not until after your event date. So I had the registry started early, make one now if you feel comfortable and start adding stuff to keep track, then I changed my event date to end so I could use the first 15% discount code, bought the Vista, then changed the event back so friends and family could still buy stuff off of it. Then after our actual baby shower we could still use one more 15% off code on a bunch of other stuff we didn't get, you just have to purchase all the items in the same order to get the discount. That's probably more info than you wanted. 

What you like about it: we loved that the car seat just clips right in, we also got the Uppababy Mesa but you can get adapters for other brands. The bassinet it came with was life for the first 8 weeks or so, we carried DS everywhere around the house in that thing. Put him on the table while we ate and sat him on the floor while I pumped. The basket holds SO MUCH stuff. When we went shopping at the mall (pre-rona) we could fit our winter coats and all our bags in there. I also loved being able to flip the toddler seat both directions because sometimes he would want to look around but other times he got too over stimulated so we would face him towards us. MH and I are also pretty tall, I'm 5'9" and he is 6'5", and with most strollers we tried we would kick the basket but the Vista's handle bar extends far enough out that we don't. It also stands up on it's own while folded which was a big thing for me and it's easy to expand and collapse. 

What you don't like about it, if anything: The tires and suspension could be better especially for itty bitty babies. We live near a trail, paved but bumpy, and when DS was a baby baby he would cry in the bassinet in the stroller because it was too bumpy. If we stayed on the road it was fine but the trail was just a hair too bumpy (although they did redo it last summer so maybe that wont be a problem anymore). He grew out of that after a month and after we weren't using the bassinet anymore. People also say it's heavy but it hasn't ever been a problem for us. We even traveled with it and checked it at the gate, in the Uppababy travel bag, with no problems.

Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Nope. I am going to order a new basket fabric from UB because ours has a hole in it, but we have used and abused that thing for the last 2.5 years. I am also debating the rumble seat but it does max out at 35lbs or 36" and DS is already over 36". He could always ride in the upper seat after this baby is big enough to sit in the rumble seat or we could just get the glider board but DS really likes his stroller so I don't see him giving up his cushy ride for the new baby. 

Additional thoughts on [strollers]: none

Thank you for coming to my ted talk. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• For S+TMs:
    • Favorite [stroller]: I don't know about favorite since I only have 1, but I have the Britax besafe travel system and I have nothing negative the say about the stroller. We have had it now for 5 years and it still works just as great as it did the first day we got it. I definitely like the stroller with 2 back wheels and 1 front wheel as I think they are easier to steer. 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I guess $$ range - it's more expensive than graco, but less than brands like Uppababy 
    • What you like about it: easy to steer, fairly light, folds up super easy
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: no complaints! 
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I am looking for a double stroller now and have no idea what I want..so any suggestions would be great! 
    • Additional thoughts on [strollers]: Things I think are important to think about: what terrain you typically travel on, will the stroller connect with the infant seat (I do not want to wake up a sleeping baby moving from the car to stroller). I would also think about trunk space - will the stroller fit in your car - for example: a bob stroller will not fit in my trunk! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Favorite [stroller]: Kolcraft Cloud Sport Lightweight Stroller

Link/picture: https://www.kolcraft.com/product/kolcraft-cloud-sport-lightweight-stroller/

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $50 @ WalMart

What you like about it: We used this with my son once he was around 2 for quick trips anywhere.  We initially got it when I was looking for an umbrella stroller that had storage and a canopy so that I had something that would open/close quickly, and this seemed like a good alternative.  The storage is great, it opens and closes so quickly/easily (I have never had an issue with opening/closing with one hand).  It has a small footprint once folded too!  We took it to Disney multiple times and it was perfect, light and easy to navigate through the crowd. 

What you don't like about it, if anything: I just checked with my husband and he was adamant that there is NOTHING we don’t like about this stroller.  I don't know that it would be great with an infant (we got it once he was a toddler), but an umbrella stroller wouldn't be great with an infant either. For me this was a purchase instead of an umbrella stroller, and it is absolutely our fave.

Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Technically I have it already bc I found a great deal, but its still in the box.  We got the Baby Jogger City Select Lux because of its versatility.  I can add the bench seat or glider board for the bigger kiddo right now, and when we have another (we plan to keep this one close with the next one) then I can tool around with both of them together.  We had eyeballed the different configurations every time we'd been to Disney, and decided that once we had more we would get one for the versatility.

Additional thoughts on [strollers]: For me, I enjoy having a jogging stroller.  I had a Jeep jogger with my son and it was the only stroller that I used with him for the first few years (I didn’t see the point in having more than one stroller and knew I wanted a jogger).  Now that I’ve been through this once I would say if you are planning on a jogger, make sure you also have a second stroller as well.  The jogger took up so much space when I took it places. It was easy to navigate sure, because it was designed to be maneuverable for people jogging, but it was also a boat.  I’ve since given away my old Jeep jogger, but will be getting another one once the little creature is big enough to jog with … it definitely won’t be the infant stroller this time though.

• +1 for Uppababy Vista stroller and Mesa car seat. I had two kids (2014 and 2016) and used it for both, bought the rumble seat and kick board (?) thing too. Now I’m going to be pulling the same stroller from the cobwebs in the basement and must find a tune-up event somewhere because she needs some major love. But IMO, we’ll worth the $700 we spent back in 2014, especially if I will have used it with three kids! 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Another vote for Uppababy Vista!
    • What you like about it: Easy to use, easy to fold and unfold, plus the fact that it can accommodate up to 3 kids (second seat and ride along board). I loved that it came with the bassinet, we used that for my son's sleep space until he was outgrew it around 3 months old. We didn't use the bassinet on the stroller very much for walks or anything, but you can use the stroller seat from birth if you add their baby seat padding which I think it was an extra $50(??); for me it was worth it to not have to carry the bassinet in and out of the house and up and down the stairs every time I wanted to go out for a walk (which was most days), and I just felt like he was a lot more secure in the extra padding and strapped into the stroller seat vs. "loose" in the bassinet. The stroller seat also reclines flat which is exactly what you want for a newborn and awesome for encouraging a nap if you're out for a while. AND the fact that the Uppababy Mesa car seat clips in and out of the stroller frame so easily is incredibly helpful. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: I have the 2019 version (which I think is actually 2018, they just didn't change anything) and the only thing I don't like is the sunshade extension. In my opinion it's flimsy and doesn't really stay down very well. BUT I've looked at the newer model (the Vista V2) and they've made some changes to the shade that look way better. Honestly it makes me want to sell mine and get the V2 :lol: so just keep that in mind if you're thinking about buying second hand. 
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I am considering getting a double umbrella stroller for travel, but am not sure how much we would use it and if I would miss the features of the Vista. Hoping I can borrow one to try before I commit to another purchase. I'm just unsure about how bulky the Vista will be with the second seat, if it'll be a pain to gate check. If anyone has experience with that please let me know!
    • Additional thoughts on [strollers]: #1 - If you're a FTM I very strongly recommend getting a stroller and car seat that work together (or a stroller that has an adapter for a different brand's car seat). It's a huge help to just be able to take the seat out of the car and clip it into the stroller frame, instead of unbuckling them from the car seat and buckling them into the stroller and then doing it all again when you get back to the car. This is extra true if you live in a cold climate! I got a fleece cover for the carseat and being able to just drop the whole thing onto the stroller frame meant I wasn't dealing with extra layers and blankets and all that every time I had to run into a store for 5 minutes. ALSO excellent if you're out for a while, baby falls asleep in the car, you don't have to take them out of the car seat and wake them up, just move the whole seat to the stroller and go - I know a few people who didn't have an infant seat that worked with their stroller and they complained about this. A LOT. 
      And #2 - Consider your lifestyle when you're shopping for a stroller. Are you in a city where you walk everywhere, or do you prefer to/have to drive most places and therefore need something that fits into a particular car and is easy to fold/unfold? Will you have to take the stroller on public transit regularly? Will you need to carry your stroller up front stairs or store it in an apartment? If you tend to walk for errands do you need a bigger basket under the seat? Are you hoping to have more than one kid, and want something that will expand to fit more than one kid? It's easy to see "oh, a lot of moms have THIS stroller, so it must be the best"; not necessarily! Don't just decide on a model because it's popular, make sure it will actually work for you. 
      LAST ONE - A stroller is something you will likely use very regularly for quite a while, so it's worth investing in something that you really like and that's the best you can get for your budget. Definitely try out a few models in the store or ask around with your friends who have kids and try out their strollers if in-store shopping isn't an option right now.  
    And if you made it to the end of that, congratulations! I think you deserve a cookie :)
  • sleepydazesleepydaze member
    edited January 2021
    Favorite: Baby Jogger City Mini GT (NOT GT2, which doesn't have air filled tires)

Link : https://www.clement.ca/en/city-mini-stroller-gt-10th-ani-1066105.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgIfskdy97gIV4w59Ch1kqwd2EAQYBSABEgJk4fD_BwE

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): About $550 CAD plus tax. Difficult to find on sale but if you keep looking, might be able to find a discount (I got 50 bucks off mine)

What you like about it: I took it for a test drive amongst other strollers at Buybuybaby and instantly fell in love. It pushes really smoothly & lightly. I push it with 1 hand all the time, no problem. It works great on gravel trails. It folds easily: just grab the handle on the seat and pull up! We got a car seat attachment so we could transfer DD easily from car to stroller when she was about 0-9 months. I've used mine a ton with DD and DS as it's a great long distance stroller. 

What you don't like about it, if anything: it doesn't come with accessories, you have to purchase them separately. Without the car seat attachment, it's not ideal for babies until they're about 6 months. And the storage underneath isn't huge, I would get about 1 big grocery bag in it. The glider attachment is better suited for the city select rather than this one. 

Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: My two mom friends both have city select and seem to love them! They just seem like a hassle to take apart. I probably will have DS on a bike by the time this one is in a stroller or I would consider getting it.

Additional thoughts on [strollers]: No matter what brand you get, I highly recommend air filled tires and a 3 wheeled stroller as they push and steer nicely!
  • Boy am I excited to see this spotlight. Strollers and carseats are the two products that are making my head spin!! 
  • I’m more of a wagon person as soon as the kiddos can safely sit in one. So we had a hand me down double stroller (side by side) and a graco single seater. 
  • @whatabout2ndbreakfast I loved having a wagon in our old neighborhood! and DS much preferred a wagon ride to a stroller ride, but our new neighborhood is nothing but hills and pulling the wagon kills my arms..so unfortunately it's just been collecting dust.. 
  • I know it's harder with COVID right now - but if possible I definitely recommend going to buybuybaby or a similar store and trying out the strollers. Also we are big second hand shoppers and facebook marketplace always has tons of high end strollers for half the price that are in great used condition! Since this is for sure out last kid I'm trying to only buy second hand since I don't have to worry about it lasting a super long time. 
  • Has anybody owned (or knows someone who has owned) the Mockingbird stroller? I’m a STM, but we know we want to upgrade our stroller game, because the one we have (a Jané Muum) from DD is so bulky to fold. I’d love a Vista, but the current price is $929, which is a lot when this is definitely our last little one. The Mockingbird seems like a great direct-to-consumer competitor, but I’m worried I’ll just wish I’d gotten the Vista once again.  :D
  • @whatabout2ndbreakfast Maybe it’s because I have had some runners but a wagon is not something I have ever wanted. I need my little ones strapped in so I know exactly where they are. It could also be the amount of kiddos I have. I’m constantly scanning and counting and I need any possible runaways in a place I don’t need to worry about them. 😆
  • @idleFancy I don't personally know anyone who has the Mockingbird stroller, but I was actually researching it last night - we also need to upgrade to a double and this is our last kid, so I'm not about to drop $1,000. The biggest negative I kept coming across was the sunshade - a lot of comments/reviews saying it was really small and did not provide necessary coverage. This is a concern for us because living in Colorado the sun is absolutely brutal and with the high elevation it is really easy to burn super fast. 
  • Any S+TMs here who dealt with snow with their infants? If I want to be able to get out of the house from 3-6 months, I’m going to need a stroller that can handle some snow!
  • @sawasap Honestly, the best option would be to babywear. 

As far as strollers go. I have never spent more than $200 on one. I have never felt like I was missing out on anything special either. Even with the amount of kids I have (5), spending close to $1000 on a stroller boggles my mind. Things I look for in a stroller are easy steering and how it folds down. I don’t want a stroller that is so difficult to fold that I can’t get it in and out of the trunk. The ones I have (graco double and a cheap jogger from Amazon that I don’t even know the name of) are so easy to fold I can do it with one hand and easily lift into my trunk while I have a baby in my carrier. I can also maneuver them with one hand while I do other things with the kids like grabbing sippy cups or snack cups etc. 
  • @sawasap I second what @emeraldcity1214 said. It rarely snows where I live but every time I took an infant out in it (a few cm of snow to about a foot) I preferred to babywear. That being said, snow can be slippery so you'd have to be careful using a carrier too. 
  • @sawasap Echoing what the others have said.  Babywearing when its snowy was my go-to.
  • @chewie5990 Oh, that’s so good to know! I hadn’t come across the sunshade issue in my initial research and we’re in TX, so that’s also crucial. Thanks for sharing! 
  • @emeraldcity1214 our wagon has seatbelts actually but I’ve had the kids unbuckle themselves from the stroller and slink down under the little tray piece in an attempt to get away 😂 
  • chewie5990chewie5990 member
    edited January 2021
    I might be the odd one out..but I actually prefer stroller over babywearing when it's snowing. I find baby wearing a bundled up baby really uncomfortable especially if I am also bundled up, and like that in a stroller I can bundle him up with blankets or use a papoose thing. We get a decent amount of snow where I live and the britax stroller we have does okay..there's definitely a little slipping..I would think a stroller with air filled "real" tires would perform a lot better
  • @chewie5990 Living in Alaska, we have really cold temps. I never leave my baby sitting in a stroller in the snow. I actually keep my jacket unzipped and have him right next to my body so he can get more warmth from me. Then I wrap him in a fleece baby carrier cover and then another blanket on top just to make sure he is nice and warm. I wish I could wear my toddler and keep her just as warm. She gets so cold. I got an LLBean inner tube and I bundle her inside it with a sleeping bag and bottles of warm water. My fear with a stroller is that the part of their body that is in the seat of the stroller won’t stay as warm as the front because I can’t add blankets and padding back there and them be safe and secure in the stroller. Sometimes we are out in single digits though and that’s likely colder than most people experience. 
  • Thanks everyone! I’ll just have to invest an an oversized winter coat then. @emeraldcity1214 Where I live, it’s not all that uncommon for us to get down to -20C/-4F (we’re there right now actually), so your point about warmth is well taken!
  • @sawasap another cold and snowy mom here, I’ve had no problem using a stroller in the winter. Many models have front wheels that you can lock in the forward direction so they aren’t wobbling all over the place if you’re pushing through snow or slush. And for warmth there are bunting bags (basically like a sleeping bag) that you can use in the seats; they attach to the frame so they don’t slide out of the seat and have slits in the back that you can thread the stroller straps through so your baby is still strapped in properly. I like my bunting better than blankets in the winter, it’s water and wind resistant and it means there’s a warm layer behind them and on top, plus it zips up so they can’t kick it off! I think mine is rated to -20C. 
    • Favorite [stroller]: Another vote for the Uppababy Vista!
    • Link/picture: See responses above because mama feels lazy LOL 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I believe ours was about $850 with the bassinet and the tumbler seat attachments 
    • What you like about it: Nice smooth ride, my husband feels like it “fits” his 6ft3 300 pound frame, and I loveeeee how much space the undercarriage has.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: so I had the uppababy Mesa car seat and I actually am in the minority here when I say I hated it....... my daughter seemed to outgrow it by like 4 months. She was looking so cramped! And I found it to be extremely heavy. So this time around I’ll be finding a different infant car seat (something very very light weight) and hopefully getting an adapter that fits the Vista. 
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I actually DO have this stroller but my second recommendation is the BabyZen YoYo. It’s for 6 months and up but they might have an infant adapter now. It’s extremely lightweight and compact. It’s meant to be a travel stroller but we find ourselves using it more frequently than that. Love the colors it comes in. $500.
    • Additional thoughts on [strollers]: You will be carrying so much crap with you. Consider the undercarriage storage no matter what you do. We looked at the Buggaboo strollers and we were very turned off by how little space there was to store bags and things. 
  • I got the Britax B-Agile/B-Safe set back in 2014 when I had my first kid. Only negative about the stroller was the bar that went across the opening for the basket. I see they have now changed that which is great. It folds super easily with one hand, and I can steer it super easily with one hand. Looking back I might've gotten the B-Ready so that it would accommodate 2 kids but I wasn't thinking of that at the time.

I currently have 3 strollers. I still have my Britax B-Agile which I tend to grab more often  because I can hold my coffee or tea while I push it.  I've also got a Summer Infant 3D Tote that I bought specifically for travelling (I bought it for our trip to Japan in 2019), and I bought  used Summer Infant double stroller (the seats are in front of each other). We use this one alot when I used to walk to get my kids from school with my SIL. We would put our youngests who are 6m apart in there (my Nov18 babe). I love them all, though the Britax is the only one I would use until they're old enough to sit on unassisted in the other 2.

As for the winter, when I lived in Ottawa none of my strollers would've worked very well in the amount of snow we got there. I always baby wore. Where I live now, the winters are alot more mild so I can use the B-Agile most of the time. I prefer babywearing when it's super cold out though as I feel like I'm able to keep them warmer as well as keep an eye on their temps better.