June 2021 Moms

Let's talk stretch marks >:)

They are a dreaded part of pregnancy, but they are also a normal part of pregnancy. If you have them, how are you combatting them, if you don't have them, how are your preventing them? I also think it would be good to share your personal feelings towards them.

I got many stretch marks from my first pregnancy and really hate having them. I've used a lot of products to help fade them, but so far nothing has helped. 

Re: Let's talk stretch marks >:)

• I didn’t get 1 single stretch mark until I was 36 weeks pregnant and then so many. And my son liked to stick his butt out on one side so that side got more than anywhere else. 🙄🙄 anyways using bio-oil helped a ton. So I use a bit of lotion mixed with bio-oil and moisturize daily. I hate them but I know they’re all a part of a process that gave me my kiddo. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• I only got them on my boobs the first time. I don't love them but I try to remind myself I produced sustenance for my child and the list of people who will ever see my boobs again is pretty short  :D
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• Loading the player...
  • @legallykate Do you use anything on your belly and thighs that you think helped to prevent them?

@AKuzReve I got them pretty late in my first pregnancy too. I notice a few small ones around 27 weeks or so, but then at the end of my pregnancy I got the PUPPS rash and couldnt help but scratch until my skin bled. I definitely think this is what made mine soooo bad.

• I didn’t get any stretch marks with DD. Every time I get out of the shower I use Zoe Organics belly oil and belly butter. I’m really hoping to avoid stretch marks this time too.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• Whether or not you get stretch marks is mostly genetic. Staying hydrated inside and out can help but there's no true way to avoid them. 
  • I use the burts bees belly butter and didn’t get them on my stomach last time but my boobs and hips did (I applied the lotion on my belly, boobs, and hips).  But like @rvamom90 said, it’s mostly genetic for where and if you’ll get them.  The creams and such definitely help with the itching though.  
  • I got a ton of stretch marks on my belly with DD. They faded over the last 3 years, just in time for this go round. I don’t love them, but I am resigned to them. They were part of the process to give me my DD and now DS. I have wondered if a microderm roller would help reduce them, but since it is genetic, I don’t stress over it too much. 
  • I use the Palmers brand stretch mark cream, lotion, and oil and I love them. I mostly use them because they help my skin stay feeling hydrated. As a plus size person who is also genetically predisposed to getting bad stretch marks, I have a lot of them and don't really mind them. I just don't like when they get itchy or painful which the Palmers is really good at helping to combat.
    TTC History- *TW* LC
    Me: 24 Dh: 46
    Married: 10.2018
    DS #1: 06.2014
    Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG), Emergency C-Section
    MC: 03.2017- 5 Weeks
    Rainbow DS #2: 07.2018
    HG, 19w Fetal Surgery, 24w PPROM, 33w Placental Abruption, Partial Uterine Rupture, Emergency C-Section
    NICU, Chronic Kidney Disease
    TTC #3: Medically Cleared 12.5.2019, had a bunch of problems and wonky cycles
    BFP 10.13.2020 EDD: 6.26.2021

October 2020 TTGP Signature Challenge: Pets in Costumes

• I'm a FTM and really really hoping NOT to get stretch marks. So far so good and I hope it stays that way. Like @ashaislurking Im also using the Palmers brand stretch mark cream, bio oil and i also bought some LA' Bang body oil for when I get wayy bigger towards the last couple months. I rub lotion on my boobs, thighs and belly daily after I have my bath. 
  • I’ve got them alllll around my belly button from my past three babies. They somewhat fade, but not really. When I’m not pregnant, if I bend over it becomes old lady wrinkly skin around my belly button. Ugg. It was disappointing because neither my mom nor my sister got stretch marks and I thought it was more genetic. Guess it came from my dads side maybe! Anyway, just for stretching discomfort and keeping everything moisturized, I loooooove Vanicream. I used oils and stuff in previous pregnancies, but those tend to ruin clothes and leave stains. So I prefer the vanicream and that stuff can be used on any part of your body and on any person in your family including babies. Love the stuff - and soooo affordable. No junk in it so it’s perfect for sensitive skin/eczema and no smell. It’s just so amazing. 
    Trying to Conceive TickerMe: 41 DH: 42
    💙 DS1- 12/2011
    CP - March 2014
    MMC - Sept 2014
    💙DS2 - 10/2015
    💙DS3 - 5/2017
    💖DD due June 6, 2021
  • There's really no way to prevent them. If you are genetically disposed, you'll get them no matter what. I got stretch marks from puberty, so I knew what I was in for. I got them all over my belly with my first. My second I only got four little ones of the top of my belly. None this time so far. They'll fade over time and you get used to them. The saggy skin is what bothers me.
    To avoid the itchy stretching feeling, I used cocoa butter.
  • @mrs_massie I have to agree with the others about it being genetic, my mom didn't really get any either from carrying me and my brother. I also may have more elastic skin from my weight yo-yoing a good 30 lbs throughout my adult life  :|  But I would sometimes use cocoa butter on my stomach, but not super routinely, and I didn't use it on my thighs or elsewhere. 
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• @ramzlau i got the dermrollers for Christmas this year and can't wait to try them!
  • My mom got 0 and I never had any before so I failed the genetics part. 🤣

• I had some on my hips from puberty, tiny fine white ones at this point, so I was surprised I didn’t get any with DS. I did get a couple on my boobs from when my milk came in, which made me laugh, but they’re gone now. I did use the burts bees cream, though not regularly. Will probably do that again this time, as much as I can stick to any beauty/moisturizing routines, anyway
  • FTM here and definitely NOT excited about this part.  I am moisturizing twice daily like a mad woman in hopes of avoiding them.  Candidly, I'm not thrilled about having a child (yet) to begin with, so I view stretch marks as salt in an already resentful wound. :(  But kudos to you STM+ that view them as part of the process.  If I begrudgingly end up with them, I can only strive to be that positive! 
  • @kfc1983 you feel the EXACT same way as I do about stretch marks so I can relate. I think if I got them I would not be a happy camper 😟 
  • @kfc1983, I felt the same when I was pregnant with my first. I moisturized all the time. I’m still not thrilled but I am lucky that mine faded really well. Let’s see what happens this time. 

• I’m covered in them. 
    As I mentioned before I lost my appendix at 25 weeks with my first and I lost SO much weight because I was so sick for 3 days before and a week or more after  (to the point I no longer looked pregnant and I had to constantly go for ultrasound to make sure the baby was growing) and then out of no where I super caught up all the weight I lost and then some! So I was full of stretch marks. 
    They faded a bit the. I had DD. 

Now this one then seen to be worse then ever before. 
    I’m using a body butter from nuskin that’s supposed to help but not really. 
    I might switch back to palmers but I know there’s really not much that helps. 

They do fade over time though. 
  • I get stretch marks after delivery every time. I just put cream around my stomach during pregnancy to help prevent them but every time after I deliver, they have shown up.