August 2021 Moms
Options

Birth Wishes Thread: How are you hoping your birth experience will go?

bmo88bmo88 member
edited January 2021 in August 2021 Moms
I like the idea of birth wishes, which recognizes that while we can plan all we want, a lot is beyond our control. Wishes allow us to envision what we want, but remain flexible when we need to be. It's never to early to contemplate your options, hear from others and think through the best choices for you, your baby and your family. Talking with friends when I had my first child really helped me prepare for what to expect, but also realize I had to be flexible and go with the flow when things did not go as I had hoped for.

I would love to hear what others are wishing for!

Due Date:

Are you planning to take any prenatal education classes (birth/newborn care/cpr/breastfeeding/postpartum)? If you took any during previous pregnancies, which ones were most helpful?

Where are you hoping to give birth (home, hospital, stand alone birth center, etc)?

What type of birth experience are you hoping for (water birth, medicated/unmedicated)?

Will you have family/friends present?

What special things or circumstances are you taking into consideration?

Re: Birth Wishes Thread: How are you hoping your birth experience will go?

• Options
    Due Date: 8-28

Are you planning to take any prenatal education classes (birth/newborn care/cpr/breastfeeding/postpartum)? If you took any during previous pregnancies, which ones were most helpful? Took a birth class last time. Felt it didn't work teach me anything. I may take a course more based on unmedicated birth.

Where are you hoping to give birth (home, hospital, stand alone birth center, etc)? Hospital with midwife

What type of birth experience are you hoping for (water birth, medicated/unmedicated)?
    Unmedicated....my last pregnancy I had an unwanted induction at 37 weeks which they pushed pitocin (sp?) and the nurse kept upping it everytime she came in, without my knowledge. So I ended up getting an epidural which I really didn't want.

Will you have family/friends present? Just DW and it will be that way again.

What special things or circumstances are you taking into consideration? I know that I may be induced again, as it's a possibility, but I will not be forced into it because of size: the baby is "too small".

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • Options
    Due Date: 8/22

Are you planning to take any prenatal education classes (birth/newborn care/cpr/breastfeeding/postpartum)? If you took any during previous pregnancies, which ones were most helpful?

Not this time.  I did all the birth classes and a breastfeeding class during DS pregnancy.  I thought both were amazing and would recommend to any FTM and FTD.

Where are you hoping to give birth (home, hospital, stand alone birth center, etc)?

Hospital

Hoping for a VBAC this time.  Definitely medicated.  Props to all women that go unmedicated but I know my pain tolerance. 

DH definitely and if I’m allowed another person, my sister or mom.

I really don’t want another CS but definitely want a happy baby/mama. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Due Date: 8/31

I dont plan to this time, unless I try hypnobabies or go the water birth route. 

I really liked my breastfeeding class and postpartum class. Highly recommend. Postpartum focused on ways the partner can help out mom and how to be supportive of each other. 

Stand alone birth center, just toured it today at our first appointment. Loved the layout and environment. 

Hoping for unmedicated this time and considering a water birth.

DH only. Did that last time and liked that. 

Last time, I tested positive for group b strep and wouldn't dilate. I got pressured into using pitocin, so contractions got bad fast. End up with an epidural and forcep delivery. This time, I am hoping at least staying in the tub longer and having more pain management options (woo-hoo laughing gas) will help. 

• Options
    Due Date: Aug 5 FTM

Not really, I am going to a pelvic floor therapist in a few weeks so I hope I'll get some guidance there.

Hospital

I'm definitely going to be medicated. Hoping for in and out easy peasy.

Probably just MH. My parents are out of province and it looks like there will still be a 14 day quarantine required for them to come. And I just feel weird about my MIL being there. If @pickle-chips wasn't pregnant and there was no covid I might try to bribe her to be there.

Nothing really. Maybe I just haven't thought of the process enough. I haven't done any research and am pretty much expecting it to be go in, push, boom, baby. I'm probably naive 
  • Options
    shoogapoffshoogapoff member
    edited January 2021
    Due Date: Aug 1st

Yes. The birth center requires it, but I'd do it anyway. I've been researching classes to see which would be most beneficial. I think we might go with Mama Natural's online class,  so we can be self- paced and avoid covid concerns. 

Birth center that is 2 blocks from a hospital with a level 3 nicu.

Definitely unmedicated. That's not an option at the birthing center. Probably water birth. I'll at least labor in the tub, probably. 

MH of course. My best friend is a midwife, but she's going through infertility. We haven't had a chance to talk about how she'd feel about being there with me. If she wants to be there, I'd love to have her, though obviously not in a professional capacity. The birth center doesn't restrict visitor numbers, so I have options. We're also going to have a birth photographer. 

Working in pediatric hospitals for years, as well as in labor and delivery for a little while before that, I am acutely aware of all of the things that can go wrong during delivery. I will be grateful if I get to stay at the birth center and there aren't any complications, but I'm prepared that I or baby might need a hospital. 
  • Options
    @doodlemom131 there is nothing wrong with hoping for an easy birth!!  I’m right there with you!! 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

I actually found out that the hospital we will be delivering at has nitrous!  I’m looking forward to this form of pain management!! 
  • Options
    bmo88bmo88 member
    edited January 2021
    @doodlemom131 nothing wrong with hoping it's easy. I have seen that at least knowing your options before helps you feel empowered and informed if things do go wrong. Being asked what you want when you are in primal pain mode of delivery is not easy and sometimes you literally can't even talk/respond to questions. Even a few basic wishes communicated to your partner or doctor ahead of time can go a long way. Most doctors will ask you to fill out a birth plan form too. 
  • Options
    Due Date: 8/6 (though I keep typing 8/5...)

Are you planning to take any prenatal education classes (birth/newborn care/cpr/breastfeeding/postpartum)? If you took any during previous pregnancies, which ones were most helpful? I did last time, which covered pretty much all methods and I feel like I know everything between my experiences and all of my mom friends. Definitely definitely recommend you take a childbirthing class if you are a first time mom. A doula taught mine and the birthing center/hospital offered it so it was very tied to exactly what my hospital offered which was helpful.

Where are you hoping to give birth (home, hospital, stand alone birth center, etc)? Hospital. Definitely not an option to be anywhere else since I had postpartum hemorrhage last time and now am at risk for another. It's a fancy brand new hospital so I'm hoping it will be nice! Last time was more like a birthing center so will be glad to have extra help if an emergency happens.

Safety most of all. Would love not to be induced again but not realistically expecting that since no woman in my family has gone into spontaneous labor in several generations. Personally not into the struggle olympics things of medicated vs non that I experienced last time. If I need pain relief I will get some and if not, then not. Last time I wasn't able to dilate post induction without the epidural and pushing was not an issue, baby actually came out too fast if anything, so I am over the epidural scare tactics that were pushed in my community last time. I don't live there anymore, so not expecting that here, this is a more medically intervention heavy community. I am somewhere in the middle - few interventions as possible, but if they're needed, not worrying too much about it. Also last time we waited too long to induce and baby was in distress, so this time I'll make them induce me sooner so I can avoid that stress. Plus the baby was way too big (9lbs 6 oz) because I was two weeks late, which also made everything harder.

DW, no one else, even if Covid wasn't a thing.

Really really hoping I don't hemorrhage again. This hospital had advanced special techniques to combat those so I think they will be easier to help me better than last time. Also trying to keep baby small because I've have a hernia repair done twice now and I don't want it a third time. (Didn't expect to have more children when I had the repair, but then my wife got cancer and now I'm carrying our last baby which wasn't the plan.) Also hoping they can repair tears better this time and help clean up the mess from last time. (If you guys remember, my stitches burst and they never repaired that tear for a second time, so it healed all wrong.) Definitely concerned about the extensive scar tissue I have from that labor and hope it's not too painful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    Due Date: August 28 

We did the prenantal class last time. It was good for my husband but I learned a lot through my own research. 

Hospital is really the only choice for me. We are quite rural and if I chose a home birth is be terrified of something bad happening

Hoping for unmedicated. Last time my water was broken for 30 hours and I didn't dilate even with cervadil. I had to get a new one put in like 3 or 4 times because I had so much fluid gushing out 😂
    I ended up on pictocin and had an epidural because I felt like I was being hit by a freight train. I also vomited through my entire labor after I got the pictocin.

Will you have family/friends present? My husband (who admits he is basically useless) and my doula. As long as my hospital gets their head out of their a$$ and let's doulas back in.

None really. My last labour was fine even though it was far from what I wanted. My baby arrived safely. 

I really hope the next baby can nurse right away. I had to syringe feed my first for nearly a week and I think I'd die if I had to do that again. She was lip and tongue tied but "not that bad" according to my dr. That plus having flat nipples was a nightmare. 
  • Options
    @grogu I have inverted/flat nipples as well, it's so hard! I got mastitis three times. I think I'm gonna try to not use the nipple shield this time so I don't have to deal with lazy latch and weaning off the shield but I know it will hurt way more at the beginning then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    @claireloSC hopefully it goes better for you! Hemorrhages are scary.
    I hemorrhaged after my first but that's because the doctor was impatient and yanked my placenta out. So it tore (part got left behind) and infected. Resulted in a d&c surgery later. So my new CNM isn't worried about that this time and cleared me for a birth center option. 
  • Options
    Due Date: Aug 12

Are you planning to take any prenatal education classes (birth/newborn care/ cpr/ breastfeeding/ postpartum)? If you took any during previous pregnancies, which ones were most helpful? With all covid stuff I don’t know how possible this will be. Definitely going to look into it, but I don’t think online classes would be as helpful as in-person ones

Where are you hoping to give birth (home, hospital, stand alone birth center, etc)? We are doing a hospital birth with a midwife.

What type of birth experience are you hoping for (water birth, medicated/unmedicated)? I’m hoping to do an unmedicated birth. 

Will you have family/friends present? Just my husband. I don’t want anyone else at the hospital, even in the waiting room. 

What special things or circumstances are you taking into consideration? Nothing really. I’m just hoping for a straightforward, simple birth but I know the experts are there if things get more complicated and I feel really confident in the hospital we chose and the birth team we’ll have.
  • Options
    @claireloSC I had mastitis 3 times too. It was awful. 
    I'm going to bring my nipple shields just in case because expressing and syringe feeding was awful and so draining.  Also any lip/tongue tie is getting snipped immediately. 
    Breastfeeding is so much harder than I thought. 
  • Options
    @grogu oh my goodness totally agree on BF being hard! OMG the recurrent plugs and mastitis are the worst.

This thread is so interesting I love hearing about everyones plans and experiences.

Due Date: 8/31

Are you planning to take any prenatal education classes (birth/newborn care/cpr/breastfeeding/postpartum)? If you took any during previous pregnancies, which ones were most helpful? Have never taken any and don't really plan to.

Where are you hoping to give birth (home, hospital, stand alone birth center, etc)? Hopefully will make it to the hospital.

What type of birth experience are you hoping for (water birth, medicated/unmedicated)? If I make it to induction day then I'd love to get an epidural. If not, I just need to get baby out as safely as possible.

Will you have family/friends present? SO only. If I go into labor at work (work at the hospital), I'm fine doing it alone.

What special things or circumstances are you taking into consideration? I have a history of precipitous labor, where my water breaks, contractions become constant in about 30 minutes, and baby out in less than 2 hours. Barely time to get to hospital and no time for epidural. Its been so traumatic I hope to make it to 39 weeks for induction, but #1 was 38+5 and #2 was 39 +2 so who knows. 
  • Options
    Due Date: 8/19 FTM

I'm considering it, for newborn care and breastfeeding. My good friend is an acupuncturist in a birth center, and I'll probably go to the classes that they offer. My partner has ZERO baby knowledge so I think it'd be a good idea to get him involved! 

I have no choice but hospital due to medical history

I'm going to have a planned cesarean I'm not thrilled about it, but it is what it is 

Will you have family/friends present? Just my partner

I had an abdominal myomectomy 5 months before getting pregnant, I had HUGE fibroids removed and my surgeon/RE/current OB all agree that laboring is to be avoided for me and cesarean is the only route. At least my cousin who had the same surgery and gave birth to twins via cesarean after said that her recovery was easier than the surgery because they go in through the same spot so here's hoping! 

• Options
    Due Date: 8/28

I didn’t take any classes with  the my last. I read Ina May Gaskins book and a couple others during pregnancy.  I don’t plan on any classes this time. 

Hospital. I wish we had a birth center. 

I felt pressured to get an epidural too early last time. I’m going to definitely go for no epidural this time, or at least let it be more of a purposeful decision. 

Just DH. My mom and friend were with me last time. With covid, it’ll only be one anyway. My mom was stressful last time. I’m happy do be doing this with MH this time. 

My first birth went well, though I felt pressured into an epidural and it stalled labor. Then there were so many questions about whether I could breastfeed on my medication. It’ll be nice to have more courage this time, as well as know that breastfeeding is safe on my meds. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @cocoliso13 I had a CS with DS.  I was so upset because I had 3 abdominal surgeries before that and I knew how difficult recovery was.  However I recovered from my CS way quicker and with a lot less pain!  My OB gave me a pressurized incision dressing that really helped.  
  • Options
    Due Date: 8/15

I didn’t take any “formal” classes with my first two. Just read a lot of books, watched a lot of videos, and asked a LOT of questions. Plus, I had watched my sisters give birth, so I felt pretty comfortable with the whole process. Honestly, the most helpful thing for me was reading books on breastfeeding. I felt very prepared, and even though it was freaking hard, I felt like I was ready for that and knew how to deal with the curveballs. 

Hospital birth for me! 

With both of my last two births, I said I wanted to “try” to do it unmedicated. I made it to about a 7 both times before I was begging for an epidural. I’ll “try” again, but I also had amazing experiences with both of my epidurals, so I have no qualms getting another one. 

DH and my mom (if they’ll let her come in). My mom has been at the birth of all eight of her grandkids, so I know it would be devastating for both her and me if she couldn’t be there! 

Nothing specific. Like most of you, I just want an uncomplicated both and a healthy bebe! 
  • Options
    Due Date:

not this time.  I took a birth class with my doula, a cpr class, breastfeeding and general class at the hospital for my first.  I took a required birth class with my second at the birth center.  
    This time I feel like I know what I’m doing which is nice.

Birth center.  It’s stand alone but across the street from a hospital.  

Unmedicated. 

My husband 

Nothing so far. Maybe I’ll have to wear a mask.  Hopefully by august things with Covid will be better.  
  • Options
    Due august 20th!

no classes for me. I am a labor and delivery nurse and it’s our 3rd baby. I got this 💪🏼

Planning a hospital birth at my hospital where I will be surrounded by my hand picked OB and nursing staff. Pretty darn lucky!!

I am a TOLAC. I have had a successful VBAC x1 with my 2nd baby and super super hope to be able to also deliver this baby vaginally!!

I also plan an epidural. Not only because I love modern medicine lol, but also it’s a safer options with being a TOLAC, and if I needed a crash c section, that saves time.

right now my hospital is only allowing one support person! So that will be my husband. I had my mother and mother in law with my 2nd baby, and loved they got to be apart of it, but my husband is hoping for this one to be just us 💜 so even without the rules, that’s what we are planning!

so excited to see how all our births turn out!! I really wasn’t sure if we were going to have a third. And even tho I’ve been totally miserable...there is something about the last baby that gives me ALL the feels! 
  • Options
    Due Date: 08/16

I might do an online hypnobirthing class, maybe one on breastfeeding. I went to an in person birthing class with my best friend when she was pregnant in 2019 because her husband was in residency and couldn’t attend. We both found it to not be that helpful, but we’d worked with babies at a children’s center for a few years and we’re pretty familiar with the process lol I think it’s from all of the “A Birth Story” I watched on TLC as a kid 😂

I’ve also been super involved with both my sister and best friend’s pregnancies and was in the room for both, so I feel pretty comfortable with how things go.

I’d love to hear if anyone has online classes they found to be helpful! 

We don’t have a birth center in our area but I really wish we did. I’ll give birth in a “birth center” at the hospital but it’s a pretty standard medicalized birth experience. Hoping to luck out and get one of the 2 rooms with a tub in it.

I’d like to go unmedicated if possible but am also open to intervention if needed. My opinion on it is if I can manage the pain, great! But also I’ve never done this before and don’t know what my body will need in those moments.

Hoping to at least have access to a tub in the birth room. 

If I have an easy going birth experience I may try a home birth with our next babe.

My husband will be there, I don’t think anyone else. Not much of my family is local and my best friend will have her daughter and my sister will help with our dogs. I don’t mind it just being the 2 of us, I’m not always the nicest when I am in pain lol

Who knows what COVID will look like by August - I’m really hoping I won’t have to wear a mask the entire time. Ive gotten vaccinated so am trying to set it up for success. Otherwise just want to mentally prepare for the process, the recovery, and remind myself to take it a day at a time and roll with how it goes!
  • Options
    @pickle-chips, I have the same fear! My labors weren’t as fast as your’s were (both were five hours from first contraction to delivery), but there’s a part of me that wonders if it’ll be even faster this time. I like to stay home as long as possible, so by the time I’ve gotten to the hospital both times, it felt like my kids were born immediately. Luckily I’m less than ten minutes from our hospital...and maybe I need to get there sooner this time around. 
  • Options
    @jaxalia i didn't even think about the masks during labor. i'm fine wearing a mask normally but it makes me nervous to already feel like i can't breathe during labor. it feels like there's no end to the masks in sight, so i'll have to mentally prepare!
  • Options
    Due Date: 8/30

Are you planning to take any prenatal education classes (birth/newborn care/cpr/breastfeeding/postpartum)? If you took any during previous pregnancies, which ones were most helpful?: We’ll definitely take some online classes, I doubt in-person classes will be offered in my area anytime soon. I’m feeling a little in the wilderness because not only am I a FTM, both H and I have basically zero experience with baby stuff- never had a friend, sibling, close cousin etc. go through this, so I feel like we don’t have any of the pregnancy/labor/child-rearing knowledge that many people absorb by osmosis. So we need to catch up on the basics!

Where are you hoping to give birth (home, hospital, stand alone birth center, etc)?: Hospital... I’d love to go to a birthing center but the closest one is too far away for us.

What type of birth experience are you hoping for (water birth, medicated/unmedicated)?: I really don’t want to be induced and need to ask my doctor how long past 40 weeks they let patients go as a matter of policy. I don’t have strong feelings about trying to do unmedicated, which means I’ll probably end up medicated, haha. Wish water birth was an option near me, I’m just hoping to get a room with a tub so I can labor in water at least!

Will you have family/friends present?: Just H! Wouldn’t be interested in having anyone else there even if COVID wasn’t a thing.

What special things or circumstances are you taking into consideration?: Eh not really... just overwhelmed with info and trying to wade through all of it.
  • Options
    @the_most_happy I remember all those FTM worries all to well(DS is only 15 months old) The things I found most helpful for myself was reading ALL the books, taking the birth/labor class, taking the breastfeeding class, infant cpr class and also this group!  You have a wealth of knowledge and different opinions from a bunch of mama’s and other FTM.  ❤️ 
  • Options
    Due Date:
    8/19

I doubt it. I just watched a bunch of home birth videos on YouTube while pregnant with my 1st.

I had both babies so far at home with a CNM. I couldn’t have asked for better birth experiences so I’m planning the same this time too!

Unmedicated water birth

Both of my parents, my closest sis, and DH were there for my 1st. 2nd Mom, DH, and a photographer were in the bedroom and Dad watched DS downstairs. This time I’m hoping for the same as my 2nd. FX my parents can make it! 

Nothing really. Just very thankful I don’t have to worry about laboring in a mask! Of course if I end up having to transfer to the hospital that’ll be a different story so I guess I should at least prepare myself. 
  • Options
    Due Date: Aug. 6th

I'm hoping to start doing prenatal yoga on a regular basis. I did prenatal yoga/ meditation consistently with my son and felt that it really helped with pain management. We also did a natural childbirth class with my son through the hospital, and a postpartum education class after he was born. Both were very helpful! I'm the baby of the family and was one of the first pregnancies in my family/friend group, so I went into my first pregnancy having pretty much no idea what to do. It also served as a great place to meet and bond with other moms to be/new moms. Not sure how these classes would look at the moment with COVID restrictions though.  

Most likely the hospital. 

With my son and daughter I was able to have unmedicated births, but I very nearly asked for an epidural with my daughter. In fact, I asked to be checked one more time before I agreed to the epidural. They checked me, said I was a 9, and I immediately had to push after. If I had been less than that I'm sure I would have gotten an epi. I wish that gas was an option, but unfortunately they do not offer it at our hospital. 

No. Just my husband. Would definitely prefer that in non- COVID times too. 

Childcare for my older two when I go into labor with #3. We live 7+ hours away from family, so I'll likely have to ask a friend to watch them. I'm not the best at asking for help when I need it, so I need to buck up and get this conversation over with sooner rather than later. 
  • Options
    @shoogapoff my sis did the Mama Natural course and she loved it! 
  • Options
    @bard37 forgive my ignorance, what does TOLAC stand for?
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits FWIW, the birth photographer I am using is a certified doula, so that is how she has been able to continue being present for hospital births in my area. I'm giving birth at a birth center that isn't as strict about number of people present, but I thought that was interesting. I'm not sure how common it might be for a photographer to be a doula as well, but if you want photos, it would be worth asking your preferred photographer how they're navigating restrictions. 

• Options
    Due Date: I think around Aug 27th. Will find out on Thursday. 

Are you planning to take any prenatal education classes (birth/newborn care/cpr/breastfeeding/postpartum)? If you took any during previous pregnancies, which ones were most helpful? Not this time. Took a class with my first and it was not helpful. 

Where are you hoping to give birth (home, hospital, stand-alone birth center, etc)? Hospital for me!

What type of birth experience are you hoping for (water birth, medicated/unmedicated)? Scheduled C-section (will be my third). I had an emergency C with my first. I was induced 10 days after the due date, was not progressing at all after 24 hours, and the baby's heart rate was all over the place in distress. I was open to VBAC (so was my doctor) with my second if I went into labor and was progressing on my own. Ended up scheduling the C-section at my 39-week appt. This time, I'll just have it scheduled as the 2nd surgery/recovery was WAY better than the first. Checked-in at 9am and in recovery with the baby by 11. 

Will you have family/friends present? Just my husband. We had too many people in the waiting room 1st time around and it stressed me out. In-laws won't even be allowed to come to town until we are home and rested. That would be the case even without COVID. My parents who are local will have the older kids while we're at the hospital. 

What special things or circumstances are you taking into consideration? Only if I happen to go into labor on my own which is doubtful but anything could happen. 

imageimage

• Options
    @BourbonBiscuits TOLAC stands for “trail of labor after cesarean”! :) so basically if you’ve had prior c section, you can chose to “tolac” and attempt a vaginal birth. Then if you succeed then you get the “VBAC” title for (vaginal birth after cesarean!). I had a scheduled c section with my first baby, and then thankfully was successful in having a vaginal birth with my second! So hoping for another vaginal birth with this one! :)