September 2021 Moms

STM+ Check-In 1/20

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 
How are your other kids doing this week? 
Rants/Raves: 
Concerns/Questions: 
GTKY: what is your current favorite tv show?

Re: STM+ Check-In 1/20

• How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? Two boys, 2 and 5

How are your other kids doing this week? the little guy needed stitches and they were taken out Monday. Yesterday we were making Valentine’s Day decorations for the house.

Rants/Raves: meh. My rant is I don’t really like my job right now. I applied for a per diem job earlier this week so we’ll see. I’m considering becoming a SAHM or working 1-2 days a week. 

Concerns/Questions: Did you guys tell your other kiddos yet? I told the younger one because he can’t blab to the world about it quite yet. The older one requests “more brothers” 😂 

GTKY: what is your current favorite tv show? I have a few that I watch when I can. I just binged Bridgerton and then the Flight Attendant and then the first season of A Discovery of Witches. 
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they?  5 (18, 6, 5, 3, 14 months) My oldest has left the best though. 

How are your other kids doing this week? Good, we ditched pull-ups for my 5 yo last night at bedtime. I have noticed he has been waking up and just peeing in them. 😑 He is such a heavy sleeper so he has been very difficult to night train. I have tried several times and even washed sheets every day for nearly 3 months before throwing in the towel. Last night he peed but when he woke up it was still warm so I think it had just happened which is huge progress! I’m hoping in a week or so he can be accident free. Once I get him night trained I plan to work on my 3 yo. I think she is ready I just need to give her a little push. 

Rants/Raves: My basement flooded earlier this week so I have been dealing with that. It’s coming in from the snow melting outside so I had to shovel and break up the ice around the house and move it away from it. I got so hot I ended up in a short sleeve shirt shoveling the snow. I’m hoping to get an actual yard shovel so I can really break the ice up that’s left and move it. If I can keep it away from the  house I’m hoping it won’t come inside again. 

Concerns/Questions: N/A 

GTKY: what is your current favorite tv show? I just finished Designated Survivor and it was pretty good. I’m sorta in a show hole. 

@whatabout2ndbreakfast I told my 6 yo but only because she asked. She won’t tell anyone until I say it’s ok. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @emeraldcity1214 my 5 year old does the same thing, pees in the diaper just for convenience instead of waiting until he gets to the bathroom. Idk if I totally blame him since he’s on the top bunk and our only bathroom is downstairs. I’m hoping our new house will help with this since the bathroom won’t be so far away. 
  • @whatabout2ndbreakfast Haven't told him yet, he's a blabbermouth. He's been requesting twin baby brothers or twin baby sisters for about five years now so even if he gets just one brother or sister I know he'll shout it to the world at the top of his lungs

@emeraldcity1214 Waking up just after is such good progress!  Fingers crossed the progress continues!

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 1 boy, 8 (9 in March)

How are your other kids doing this week? He's doing really well! He's been sticking to his daily routines, and asking to help out extra where/when he can (he's currently emptying the dishwasher).  He usually gets a nice burst of maturity in the weeks leading up to his birthday, so I'm hoping this is the start!

Rants/Raves: My husband got a deer this winter while hunting. It was his first one, and I am very excited for him. But, now alllllll we seem to eat is venison.  I work until 8pm so he is in charge of dinner.  Yesterday we were talking about dinner and he said "I took out steaks for dinner".  I spent the entire day looking forward to nice delicious beefy steaks ... they were venison steaks ... he usually specifies "venison steaks" or "venison sausage" etc. but chose not to this time.  I was so disappointed I almost cried. Then he kept asking how it was and I really couldn't give him any reaction other than "this is not the steak that I was expecting". It was a really awkward dinner lol

Concerns/Questions: Nothing at the moment

GTKY: what is your current favorite tv show? We're re-watching Dr Who now that the kiddo is at an age where he can really get/follow along with it.  It's my all-time favorite show. I haven't watched the last season yet since we've been catching up over the past year (we don't really watch TV during the week with the kiddo), so I'm excited to experience some episodes for the first time along with him.  As far as newer shows go, I absolutely LOVE Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix.  I like to live vicariously through Phil and his travel/food journeys. Plus he ends every episode with a cute Skype call with his elderly parents which is so freaking sweet.
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 
    1 kiddo, almost 6yo

Fine, we're stretching 1 week of homeschool our homeschool curriculum out over this week and next since I'm traveling two weekends in a row for work, and I'm so glad we are. It's been a tough week for school for some reason for him.

Rants/Raves: 
    It's weird to be pregnant and already have a kid, like when I was pregnant with him, if I was tired or didn't feel well, I could just take a nap or lay around and veg, but now, when I feel crappy, I still have a 45 pound flail-y spider monkey crawling all over me, begging for potato chips, and not letting me watch my own tv shows. Screen time has been a problem this year, but it just is what it is at this point. I need him occupied while I work, and we do have screens-off time every day.

Concerns/Questions: 

The Office always and forever
  • @whatabout2ndbreakfast we told our son as soon as we found out.  He's still little so I have no concerns with him telling anyone. 

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 1 son, 2.5

How are your other kids doing this week? I'm laid off currently so we have been playing a lot at home.  Hopefully the exhaustion and nausea wind down a bit so we can go play in the backyard a bit.  

Rants/Raves: I just bought "Expecting Better" and it has eased a lot of my pregnancy worries.  I wish I had known about this book with my first. 

Concerns/Questions: none atm.

GTKY: what is your current favorite tv show? I've been trying to finish the last season of Wentworth. I've really enjoyed the whole series. 
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? - one daughter who will be 2 in March.

How are your other kids doing this week? - she was born with a set of birth defects called esophageal atresia/tracheoesophageal fistula. (abbreviated EA/TEF). She also has a cleft in her larynx (voice box) that’s being repaired surgically in March. Long story short, her esophagus was not connected to her stomach at birth. It was surgically connected. She does AMAZING - the fact that she is already eating solid foods is above and beyond what a kid her age with her condition can often do, but for the last 2ish weeks she’s been struggling at meals so we set up a test for her on Monday of next week to rule out any narrowing of the esophagus at the repair site. Not the kind of stress I need in my 1st trimester, but I also knew this going into trying for a second when my first has special needs. I hate to see her struggle, but I’m so proud of all she’s overcome in such a short time. More than likely, it’s just that she’s overzealous and not chewing well enough, but we’re having it checked anyway just to be sure. 

Rants/Raves: I remember feeling this way in my last BMB but I swear I feel like the only person in here who does not feel pregnant..... I just go about each day like nothing.... it worries me that I’ll get to my first appointment and there will be a problem. I guess my babies like to make me wonder. Any sign would be LOVELY, little bean....... 

Concerns/Questions: Not at the moment!

GTKY: what is your current favorite tv show? - shameless Bachelor fan. Loving this season. Total trash TV but so, so good. Also patiently waiting for marvelous mrs Maisel to come back!!!! 
  • @emeraldcity1214 we just stopped using pull  ups this past week for DD as well at night! 

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? Two, DD is 3.5 and DS is 20 months. 
    How are your other kids doing this week? Ugh. DS finally got his belated immunizations and he had me up for three hours last night,  between 1 and 4. DD is unpredictable but usually when DS acts up  she is an angel. And then they alternate. Yesterday they switched forth with tantrums and I was on the verge of tears when DH came home, too late for me to get to do an outing by myself.  Then later I looked at pics of kids with their baby siblings and I almost cried because it was so beautiful, haha.
    Rants/Raves: Rant: my pregnancy emotions started kicking in last night. DH acts like a messy child sometimes and I was absolutely livid about it. Then 30 minutes later we were laughing together at Netflix. Pregnancy is gonna be fun!
    Rave: it's been dark and rainy and gloomy for 2 months, but the past few weeks we've had some sunshine, and it's been soooooo uplifting. 
    Concerns/Questions: I'm trying to wean DS but have been unsuccessful thus far. Should I just go cold turkey? He nurses to sleep for naps but is still awake and fine after for bedtime.
    GTKY: what is your current favorite tv show? We just got Superstore on Netflix Canada and I'm loving it! I used to work in retail so it hits close to home.
  • @whatabout2ndbreakfast He was going to the bathroom and has recently just gotten lazy. So now I feel like we are taking giant steps back. I have been so patient with him mainly at DH’s request but at this point I think he needs a big push. 

@sleepydaze With my oldest daughter she was fully trained both day and night before 2 so this has been frustrating. Especially with as hard as I worked when he first trained. With my 3 yo DD, I just didn’t really push it because DS2 was still in pull ups. 
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 
    2 boys - 5 and 8 months (next week) 

We are all good! DS1 finally started wiping his own butt and we are trying to get him to be more independent before baby comes - right now we are working on almost completely independent showers - he's doing pretty well with that and the last 2 nights we just come in and make sure he got all the soap out of his hair. DS2 is doing okay - last week he STTN every day, but last night he was up 4 times before I threw in the towel and brought him to our bed. He's a pretty happy baby though! 

Rants/Raves:
    I'm planning to stay home after this baby (first time being a SAHM) but I just realized that since we will be switching to the husband's employer insurance (currently on mine) in @ the end of July I will have to switch OBs in the 3rd trimester! This has happened with every pregnancy (1st I switched at 12 weeks, 2nd  I switched at 20 weeks) due to random insurance changes. It just stinks because I actually really love my OB (she delivered DS2) and I really loved the hospital I delivered at last time! 

Concerns/Questions:
    Those of you with multiple kids or on your 3rd -- anyone have success with squeezing 3 across. I found a system that will work with my car, but more concerned with behavior and accessibility. We are trying to decide if we should just bit the bullet and get an SUV or stick with what we have. 

I've mostly been binging The Great British Baking Show but I also just watching The Flight Attendant and it was pretty good! 
  • @chewie5990 this is something I'm curious about too! Maybe we could do a product spotlight on family vehicles for ideas? I think we'll end up switching to a third row as I prefer to have the extra space for future road trips.
  • @chewie5990 I have only been successful putting 3 in my second row of my van but I need to figure out how to get 3 in the back so I can have the space to jump into the van when we are getting in and out in the winter. I like being able to get my carrier on in the warm van and getting baby situated and bundled before exposing them to the cold temps. What is your system? 
  • How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 3 girls ages 7, 4 (5 in March, and 2 1/2)

How are your other kids doing this week? They are fighting like cats and dogs lately! All 3 were home on Monday for MLK day and I’m so glad I was at work because my nanny told me they fought all day long! My youngest is officially potty trained! So I’ll get 8ish months of a diaper free house before we start all over again!

Rants/Raves: I’m so bloated. I was wearing maternity pants at 8 weeks with my last and I’m thinking it’ll be earlier than that with this one.

Concerns/Questions: none

DH and I are rewatching Psych right now. I also regularly play episodes of The Office and Parks and Rec. But my all time favorite show is The Vampire Diaries! 

@whatabout2ndbreakfast we have not told the kids yet. The earliest I’ve ever told anyone about a pregnancy is 8 weeks, but we’ll probably wait longer this time because the kids will tell everyone as soon as the know and I don’t like non family members to know before 13 weeks.

@chewie5990 I got a minivan right before my 3rd was born because I couldn’t fit 3 seats across in my SUV. But I LOVE MY MINIVAN! I was totally anti minivan, but good God is it practical!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Right now I have a Subaru Crosstrek -- it's a small car! I looked it up you fit 3 across with Diono Radians and the Chicco Keyfit infant seat or Graco Snugride in the middle. We do take a lot of roadtrips though and go camping a lot so I think space will be an issue...if we get an SUV I was thinking bucket seat and putting baby and DS2 in the front buckets and DS1 in the back since he can buckle himself in independently....but..I also really want new floors in our house! 
  • edited January 2021
    @chewie5990 Those Diono seats are expensive aren’t they? I was an idiot and bought the bulkiest seats on the market. I’m hoping I can move the bulky ones to DH’s vehicle and get new seats. I’m just not sure I want to spend that much on them. 

Edit: fix autocorrect 
  • Ugh, a few months ago my husband decided it was time for him to get a new vehicle.  We discussed it and agree that he would get an SUV or minivan since we were planning on having more babies soon.  More room for car seats, stroller, playpen, ect.  We also agreed he would get an automatic because I can't drive standard.  He comes home with a damn Manual Kia Soul!  I have more room in my 2005 Intrepid ffs. 

Long story short I think I will also be looking for a new vehicle so I agree with @sleepydaze
  • @deziraywatt I literally drive a manual Kia Soul and there is no way 3 car seats are fitting across in that thing! I love it but we’re also going to need a bigger vehicle 😣 I love the idea of a vehicle spotlight thread because I have no idea what to get! 

@sleepydaze Superstore is so funny! It reminds me of when I used to work at Kmart back in the day 😂

@emjeve Do you watch Legacies? 
  • @whatabout2ndbreakfast we'll only need to fit 2 car seats but I can't imagine that'll leave much room for anything else let alone everything we would need for a weekend at the cottage. 
  • krash_krash_ member
    edited January 2021
    We have a VW Atlas which you can do three car seats across the middle bench or you can also do a tethered car set or booster in the third row, which is actually quite roomy. We love it, a ton of safety features are standard and a lot of creature comforts for the price. 

ETA: the Atlas also has car set safe tilt on the second row seats so you can tilt the whole seat forward to get into the third row with a FF car seat installed. 

Kia Telluride is also a popular SUV for car seats. Check out The Car Mom on IG, her family owns a dealership so she reviews a ton of different vehicles from a mom's perspective, like car seats, cup holders and how strollers fit. Also the Car Seat Lady has a full family vehicle buying guide where she rates vehicles based on their safety features and car seats. https://thecarseatlady.com/2017familyvehiclebuyingguide/
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @deziraywatt Last month DH was in a hit and run and his car was totaled. He used my car following the accident... we can't really do much these days with all the restrictions, so I told him to use my car, and wait to look for a vehicle until we found out if we were successful for this cycle. He bought an SUV that can only fit 2 car seats in the back; 2 weeks later I got my positive and he's back to researching cars for families of five  :p
  • @krash_ my brother and SIL just got a VW Atlas and they love it! I also have been looking at the telluride. I'm not a big fan of minivans just because I live where it snows a lot and I feel more comfortable with an SUV or something that has AWD and a little more clearance. 
  • @chewie5990 yes I agree re: the snow. I will say MH's 4WD on his truck feels better than the 4Motion (VW's AWD system) in the snow. But it is much better than any vehicle that only has front wheel drive. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• I love my minivan too. I have the Honda Odyssey Elite and I can’t live without it. It has all kinds of stuff I don’t need but makes my life so much better. 😆 Plus the rear entertainment system is so nice. I can rearrange the seating however I like. It does come with its own vacuum but I rarely use. Because it’s not very powerful and doesn’t reach to the front. It is handy for backseat messes though. 

I really need to fit 3 across in the back. I can easily do it in the middle seat but it would be better for us all if the 3 bigger kids were in the back. I could likely do it easily if I moved my 6 yo to a booster seat with no back and 5 point harness. I just feel better with her in a 5 point harness. She weighs 50 lbs. I need to look at the safety recommendations. I would rather be more conservative though. 
  • @Centralmnmom What, twins!!? Congrats! When did you find out? How did you and SO react when you found out?
  • @whatabout2ndbreakfast I do watch Legacies! But I watch it on Netflix so I’m never up to date!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 2 boys ages 4.5 and 2

How are your other kids doing this week? My oldest is home with me because the schools are shutdown right now...it's a struggle he really needs that social interaction. Thankfully ny youngest is still in daycare.

Rants/Raves: I am so sick of being sick!! I throw up every morning and I am OVER IT!! I'm really hoping this doesn't last past first tri...

Concerns/Questions: NATM

GTKY: what is your current favorite tv show? Hubby and I just finished Night Stalker on Netflix which was a quick 4 episodes. Need to find something new now, I feel like we've seen everything!