July 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 12/22: Diapering

Hi all! It may seem early to start making particular plans about how to deal with baby diapering, but we have a lot of baby topics to cover in the next 7ish months and we want to give each topic its space so... DIAPERING!

Those of you who went the disposable path, do you have any favourite brands? Those of you who went the cloth diapering path, do you have any favourite brands, methods, techniques? Tips on diaper washing if using cloth?

What are people's favorite wipes? How do you store wipes, and do you use a wipe-warmer? What do you stock in case of diaper rash? 

How do you dispose of dirty diapers: do you have a favorite diaper pail? A service that comes to pick up cloth diapers?

And how about your diapering set-up at home: do you have cute diaper caddies you want to recommend or are you comfortable throwing a towel on any surface? Diapering set-up on the road: what do you stash in your diaper bag specifically for diapering purposes?

Or does all of this give you a headache and you prefer to go back to our roots and let your children run naked in the woods and practice free elimination? Ok but seriously - has anyone tried EC? 

Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 12/22: Diapering

• Options
    I went the cloth diaper route and I could not be happier about our decision. 

I only use Canadian brands for most things but they can also be ordered elsewhere. Motherease are the diapers and they are AMAZING. Never any leaks. We use lilhelpers for overnight diapers and my kiddo goes from 7 PM to 8 AM without a diaper change. I need to grab some new prints for the Motherease. 

There are many cloth diapering styles but AI2 was my favourite. It feels like a regular diaper but much better. Disposables always gave my kiddo a rash. We use the Ubbi diaper pail with a cloth liner. Wash every 2nd night and hang to dry. In the morning, they're all dry and ready to be put away. 

For diaper cream, it's Canadian but Lovefresh Baby Bottom Butter. It's the best one I tried and I tried a bunch. 

For wipes, I like water wipes. I find the Pampers wipes to be too wet. I had bought a box of them and gladly switched back to Water Wipes when it finished. 

• Options
    We also went the cloth diaper route, about 80% of the time. Never got the hang of nights and it wasn’t worth the hassle for us. Sleep is too precious! 

We switched between brands a lot because we had handmedowns but overall our favourite style was pockets and when we bought, we got them from funky fluff and la petite ourse (also Canadian brands).  

For wipes, I think all wipes kind of suck in comparison to cloth ones but pampers pure were the least awful. Cloth wipes are the biggest perk of cloth diapers IMO. 

I love to chat about cloth diapers if anyone has any questions! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @becks_726, funny you say that because my DS peed through all disposables at night and only cloth worked for us. 

• Options
    We also made the decision after my first to use cloth.  We mainly used Applecheeks for day use and  Motherease overnights, which are bulletproof in my opinion. We also had some custom made diapers that were gifts..expensive but they were so cute!  I say were because of course we thought we were done and got rid of our stash.  Ugh!
    We used cloth wipes that were made out of double layer cotton.  We made our own diaper cream most of the time or used Substance brand and it was magical.  
    Nice to see so many other cloth diapering mamas 
  • Options
    @AKuzReve @tiggywiggles I might hit you up for nighttime recs this time around, if we’re feeling ambitious lol 

DD peed so much at night for a stretch of time that only Huggies night diapers did the trick. 
  • Options
    I'm surprised at how many use cloth diapers! I'm over here ruining the earth one Pampers Swaddler at a time. 
  • Options
    @becks_726 Always happy to chat cloth.  The exact overnights I used were Motherease Wizard Duo in case you wanted to check them out.  My sons were HEAVY wetters but I never had leaks with these.   
    @cammie0526 hahahaha.  My first used disposable but my second was super sensitive to everything.  We made his body wash, soaps, lotions.  Laundry soap had to be super specific, even clothing material.  It was alot.
  • Options
    @cammie0526 don't worry I'm disposable as well!!  We really like the Kirkland brand diapers - they fit our little guy's bum the best after the newborn stages (plus you can't beat the price)!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @cammie0526 disposable over here too! For DS, we really liked Pampers and Honest Co. For DD, we used Huggies and Target brand. As for wipes, the target wipes in the purple box are our go to!
  • Options
    We do a combo of both (cloth during the day, disposable for bedtime), but def disposable for newborn stage. Huggies are my favorite because they have the elastic back which has saved me from many poopsplosions. Our cloth brands are all over the place, mostly cheap sets with cute prints from Amazon. 

• Options
    @canucklehead123 yes to Kirkland! They are the same as Huggies and the price is 💯

• Options
    We used pampers swaddles and either Pampers wipes or the Walmart cucumber wipes (they smell great).
  • Options
    Disposable here too. We usually use Huggies and Luvs. With my last kiddo I discovered Amazon's brand Mama Bear and love them! We haven't had any sensitive skin issues so we just use off brand scent free wipes. Aquaphor butt cream is a favorite here as well. 

I highly suggest for those that want to stock up ahead of time on diapers and wipes to get gift cards instead. Easier to store and won't be wasted if your baby is sensitive to a certain brand or grows faster than you planned.

No diaper pail or wipe warmer. With a bigger family we empty our trash pretty frequently. I also don't have a changing station. I do have a changing pad for our room because middle of the night changes mean slower reflexes and higher chance of getting pee everywhere. Other than that we just keep a pack of diapers and wipes in our room and living room for easy access. 

As far as diapering on the go, we have a small changing pack that I keep in my backpack for when we go out. It fold out to a changing pad, and has pockets with enough room for a handful of diapers, wipes, two extra one does, and small thing of dog poo bags for dirty diapers or soiled clothes. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @nopegoat you reminded me that we have one of those all in one changing pad ‘clutches’ that we keep in the car and it has saved us a good few times! 

• Options
    @becks_726 yes!! That's what it's called. Diaper clutch! I've used it with my last 2 babies! 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    CD mama here!

We use diaper for the post-cord newborn days
    Pocket diaper at night for newborn

Then we switch to Softbums for day
    & Flip diapers w/ organic cotton at night

I still need to get overnight inserts... open to hemp/bamboo/cotton... trying to find a deal on new if possible - this store is going out of biz at 1/2off but I don't see many overnight great options: http://sweetlittleblessings.com
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i like the idea of cloth diapering but we don’t have a washer/dryer in our apartment so we have to go to a laundromat and pay to do laundry. I also worked as a nanny for a family that used CDs and I hated having to carry poop home. 

We used pampers swaddlers (delivered by Amazon which is magical) until he got to size 4, then we switched to target brand because I had been gifted some and never looked back. We used whatever wipes were on sale since we don’t have sensitive skin issues. We will probably go the target route from the beginning since they are significantly cheaper and worked fine. 

We have a changing table in the room but also a little diaper caddy that lived in the living room. I don’t care about the location of where the diaper gets changed. My husband has only ever changed our kid’s diaper so for him it NEEDS to be at the changing table. It’s kind of hilarious