September 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Baby Carriers 1/18

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... baby carriers! Ring slings, wraps, you name it. I know we talked a bit about carriers on the GTKY thread but we can go into full detail and ask more questions here! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [baby carrier]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]:

For FTMs:
  • [Carrier(s)] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Here is the schedule for the product spotlights to keep track of the topics and threads: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BFKfcrp0DX8dvYklwMEyqaex6ixXUoJ2zRbYirApXd4/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to offer suggestions for other products or changes you think can be made. This is how we did it on my previous BMB and it worked well to learn as a FTM from all the STM's and make some decisions for what items to register for. 
*TW LC*
Me & MH: 32
DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
TTC #2: 12/2019
Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Baby Carriers 1/18

• Options
    Favorite [baby carrier]: birth to 4 ish months, Moby Wrap
    Link/picture:

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $40-50? I picked one up at target in a desperate attempt to find something that would work for me. 

What you like about it: felt really secure and was easy to use once you got the hang of it

What you don't like about it, if anything: this is not specific to Moby Wraps but any baby carrier is not recommended for babies under 7lbs. DS wasn't 7lbs until he was almost 2 months old and I was desperate to wear him! Just make sure to check with your ped if your baby is underweight or has any health concerns. 

Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I might buy a Happy or Solly wrap this go to treat myself to a lighter weight wrap 

Favorite [baby carrier]:Happy Baby Carrier (Original and Onbuhimo)

Link/picture: https://happybabycarriers.com/products/happy-baby-carrier
    Join their FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/happybabycollective
    Original 

Onbuhimo (I still use this with DS who is 2.5)

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $140-165 depending on style

What you like about it: like a cross between a ring sling and a SSC. I never felt secure in a ring sling but these offer the same light weight feel with linen that softens over time. It's an apron style carrier, meaning you buckle the waist strap around you like an apron and then pull the panel up around baby making a comfy little hammock for baby's butt. 

What you don't like about it, if anything: literally nothing 

Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I'm considering getting another one. Their spring release will like be in a month or so.

Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]: I have tried a Ka-Tan, ring sling, and Lille baby and I will be sticking with these two carriers for my next LO. There can be a learning curve for baby wearing and some mom's can be really nasty about all the "rules" but bottom line is you need to be safe while baby wearing. Baby's face and mouth should always be visible, they need to be close enough to kiss, knees and butt should form a M, spine should have a curve and butt needs to have a good seat. 
    Carry positions by age  spine development Not 100 on newborn looks too  curled  Baby carrying Baby wearing Baby care
    *TW LC*

• Options
    Boba 3G soft structured! It looks like they don't make it anymore, but the Boba 4G is basically the same, and Boba X is cuter!
    https://boba.com/collections/boba-4gs-carrier
    $105
    Comfortable, quick to get on and off, easy to back carry, and narrow enough at the crotch for my tiny baby to be comfortable.
    I guess I wish mine was cuter? lol
    I want to splurge on a wrap conversion mei tai for this babe! I borrowed one for a bit with my first and it was so comfy, but didn't seem worth the cost at the time.
    I love baby carriers. If you want to try a bunch, see if there's a local babywearing community group near you that has a stash they lend out. Ask around in local moms FB groups. It's an awesome way to learn how to use them safely and try a bunch of different kinds. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not a specific review per se, but for any moms who know they will be having a c section,  I recommend getting or borrowing a wrap for the first month. I didn't have one for my first, and my ergo waistband (The basic Ergo) entirely covered my c section, so in the end I was stuck at home with DD until after 3 weeks when I could somewhat comfortably get her into the ergo without hurting myself, taking her for small walks. For DS, I suspected I would end up with a c section, and borrowed a wrap in advance. It was nice as I could carry him around within a week after birth, no problem (he was 8 lbs at birth so no problem with the 7lb weight restriction). He was a big boy so I only used the wrap for a month or six weeks, but I still randomly use my ergo with him, and he's 20 months. 
    Side note on my basic Ergo - I really like mine. I bought a rain coat attachment which works great for it (rains a lot where I live). But I do find it awkward to put the kiddo on my back/take the kiddo off my front. 
  • Options
    Thank you for getting this thread going! I was looking at baby gear on the Target website this morning and my head was spinning!
    [Carrier(s)] you're interested in: Tula explore front and back, Tula free to grow. It looks like you can wear one of these in front or in back, which appeals to me, and it's for 7-45 pounds so it'll grow with them. There are a few on the Target website, too. I'm interested in the Moby wrap, but it looks complicated to me.  :D I can definitely picture DH getting fed up with it really fast. Link/picture:
    Seaside - Tula Explore Baby Carrier ExploreFox Tail - Tula Free-to-Grow Baby Carrier
    Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):$160 or soAny questions about it/them for S+TMs?: My main concern is the comfort of baby and mom/dad/whoever is wearing it. 

• Options
    @emeraldduchess no advice on the tula but for Moby, you'll get the hang of it! A few YouTube videos it'll be easy peasy. There are so many wraps that are similar. The K'tan is a similar concept with out the wrapping aspect but in order for baby to feel secure you have to wrap it tight enough. With K'tan that means making sure you have the right size and washing it to shrink it back up if it stretches out, for a wrap you just have to tie it tighter.

For YH it just depends on their level of desire to take the time to learn how to do a wrap. I have known dad's that really love baby wearing and have loved wraps. MH wasn't too interested until he could wear DS on his back, which was after probably a year and getting the Onbuhimo. 
    *TW LC*

• Options
    @emeraldduchess We got a Toddler Tula when our son outgrew his Ergo.  My husband and I both loved it, and even with a bigger kiddo our backs were not bothered.  We only stopped using it when he decided he was "over it" and he'd transformed in to all arms and legs because he was suddenly a kid overnight and not a toddler anymore.
  • Options
    • Favorite [baby carrier]: lillebaby, I have the lillebaby woven 
    • Link/picture: https://www.lillebaby.com/
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$? Although you can get some deals on fb groups 
    • What you like about it: My babies are big and grow fast, so I loved the back support. The different positions are nice too. I like how soft the woven one is
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: it’s a little bulky for traveling.
    Other fav: wild bird ring sling. I got one of the modal ones which are softer and easier to adjust. 
    Link: https://wildbird.co/collections/modal
    Cost: $$ there’s so many patterns it can easily become $$$$ though 
    What you like about it: Easy to take places and just pop baby in and run around.
    What you don’t like: There is a learning curve  for these! I watched a lot of videos. 

• Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I did have a moby but let my sister borrow it and it disappeared. They’re so snuggly for little babies. I’ll probably pick up one of these because they’re fairly cheap! 
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]: For DS1 I honestly didn’t use a carrier very much, just a SSC when he was a little bigger. My babies are big so I never got the newborn inserts for anything either, I just waited til they were a bit bigger. 
  • Options
    • Favorite [baby carrier]:
      I like the K'tan for infant stage and ergo for late baby/toddle stage 
    • Link/picture:
      I think the K'tan is around $40 and the ergo is around $100 if you get the 360 (recommend) 
    • What you like about it:
      K'tan - super easy to use, quick assembly, comfortable for both me and baby. 
      Ergo - super easy to use, husband and I can both use it easily without too much adjusting, comfortable! Also the ergo comes with a little covering you can snap over babies head if it's cold/windy/raining/super sunny which we used a ton since we hike a lot! There is also a bunting attachment you can buy that snaps on the bottom of the ergo for winter months that keeps baby nice and cozy! 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:
      The K'tan can get hot (but this won't be an issue since baby will be born during cooler temps) I also have a mesh K'tan but I don't like it as much as the regular one. 
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
      I've heard good things about Tula and Lillebaby. I would like to try a sling wrap but I just can't justify the price since this is our last baby and I already have stuff. 
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carriers]:
      look at your local library and see if there is a babywearing community (might be harder with COVID...) but you can typically go and try out different carriers and even check them out. 
  • Options
    My first 2 kids lived in the original Tula carriers. $150 ish back 6.5 years ago. No idea what they go for now but worth every penny! 

Easy to wear and adjust but it wasn’t ideal for newborn ages. I carried. It’s kids actively until about 40 lbs! So easy and DH, aunties and uncles always wanted to carry them. The ones I used were only made for inward facing. Great for naps and being hands free.

2nd kid in newborn ages, I did a wrap and ring sling. No specific brand that I can remember. Wraps look more confusing than they are and are super secure. The ring sling is easy on and off and I think I’ll be investing in a nice ring sling this time around!
  • Options
    @chewie5990 I definitely read "infant stage" as "infant storage" and I was VERY confused for a moment! 😆

@arrowmama glad you had such good experiences with the Tula! That's my first choice right now. 
  • Options
    @emeraldduchess I mean...it is great for infant storage! 
  • Options
    @emeraldduchess I think I have 6 Tulsa’s I was right in the craze and getting all the prints at launch 😂 they were reselling for $300+ but I never sold any!