July 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 01/12: Diaper Bags

Today's topic is a very fun one: Diaper Bags! You will need to carry around a bunch of baby gear, so you may as well make it cute! Or if not cute, at least comfortable and organized. Or if not organized, at least easy to wipe off various baby fluids. Or if covered in baby fluids, sounds like you could use some cheering up with a cute purse. Circular and impeccable logic. 

Do you have a brand, or particular bag within a brand that you recommend? How about general shape (backpack, over-the-shoulder, smaller tote for quicker excursions)? How many diaper bags do you have, and do you stash them in different places (e.g., do you have a "car diaper bag")? Do you and your partner and other caregivers use the same bag, or do you have a variety? Do you rely on the organization built into the bag, or do you use additional storage solutions like baggies or insertable slots? And really, what do you even PUT in your diaper bag? Did you bring your entire nursery and also a pharmacy and also a Toys R Us in your diaper bag with a newborn? And do you just bring an old rag and like half a diaper when your baby is 1 year old and you're over it? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 01/12: Diaper Bags

• Options
    I'm a total minimalist so less is more for me. I definitely recommend backpack style. I have the Freshly Picked Diaper Bag and I love it! It's pretty, which is a bonus, but also very functional! Wide pockets, lots of storage/organizational aspects, and easy to carry around. You can use it both as a backpack or hang it around the stroller with the tote strap (or whatever it is called). 

When DS was little, in the bag we had: 
    - Nursing cover, 1 muslin blanket just in case, 1-2 extra cloth diapers in a cloth diaper bag, pack of wipes, pack of tissues and sanitizer, changing pad that came with the diaper bag, ziploc with an extra change of clothes (if clothes get wet, you can just put it into the ziploc and everything stays dry), and (as he got older) a little bag with his banana toothbrush (best thing ever!) and atom rattler. 

Now we carry much the same except no nursing cover and epipens and a single dose of his emergency allergy medicine. And I just carry disposable diapers because he rarely needs a diaper change outside of the house. 

My husband uses the same diaper bag and we have no car so just one bag needed. I don't think a ton is needed in the diaper bag. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    I second the necessity of the backpack style diaper bag!!! It is so much handier to have your hands free!
    I would also suggest making sure whatever bag you buy fits in your stroller or can be hooked onto your stroller. 

We have a SkipHop black faux leather backpack but it has sunscreen stains all over it LOL so be careful with your sunscreen around your stuff! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a Fawn backpack.  I love it.  Fits everything I need in it.  Easy to carry baby in a carrier and this on my back when I'm on the go.  
    We don't pack overly heavy, unless I'm out for the entire day and have to back snacks for all the kiddies.  Generally I have a dry bag with extra cloth diapers and a change of clothes for baby, a shirt for me.  A wet bag for soiled clothes or diapers.  I have my cloth wipes, water bottle, sanitizer, keys, phone, wallet, muslin blanket.  Done!
    We also have an emergency container in my car for all kids.  Extra clothes, mitts and hats for winter or towels and swim suits in summer...we alway pass a splash pad we just HAVE to stop at!  Its switched up seasonally and restocked regularly.

• Options
    100% the backpack style.  We got one with our second and loved it.  Unfortunately my car was stolen over the summer then recovered but the diaper bag was one of the things that got tossed out of it along with the car seats.

Anyway, in infancy two changes of clothes, burp clothes, pacifiers, luckily I breastfed so I didn't need to carry bottle or formula but that if you need it, snacks for you if your BFing, snacks for baby, diapers we usually had about 6 unless it was a really long day we wouldn't go through that many, wipes, and pads in the beginning for when you are bleeding after birth.  I think that's pretty much it.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    Another vote for backpack style. We have a skip hop one and it worked out fine for us. I’m a minimalist so we had one change of clothes, a few diapers and wipes, a sweater for baby and maybe a toy. Snacks and pads and water for me. When he got big enough to ride on my back in the carrier, I swapped for a messenger style bag since I can’t wear a child and a backpack at the same time 
  • Options
    becks_726becks_726 member
    edited January 2021
    My MIL bought me a diaper bag last time around. Her intentions were great but the damn thing weighed a few pounds before you even put anything in it. I quickly switched to a small backpack we already had and I still just use that. I use little pampers zipper pouches, mesh laundry bags and wet begs to compartmentalize the stuff.  A pouch for my stuff - pads, lip balm, etc, another for diapers and wipes and then just a few changes of clothes for baby, a muslin swaddle for all covering needs and a few burp clothes. Oh and snacks! 

ETA I imagine that’ll be a big more complicated this time around with the toddler stuff too. I hope I don’t need a bigger bag though.