May 2021 Moms

Re: Weekly Randoms 1/11

• I feel like I need a weekend from my weekend! But now that the holidays and DD's birthday are over I feel like we'll be able to relax a little...aside from working on our bathroom! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I can no longer see my nether regions to shave. I attempted over the weekend and laughed at the result when I stepped out and saw the mirror. Happy I did laser hair removal, otherwise the result would have been even funnier.
  • @ec1212 I last waxed my legs at 12 weeks and luckily, it still doesn't need another go. As for my bikini, ugh, I think it's best I can't see it 😅 I gave it a try last week and I got so tired fast! 
  • @ec1212 lol I did the feel and guess! It worked out ok! 

In one week, we are going to Hawaii, the Big Island. We were supposed to go in summer 2020, but you know, coronavirus. We’ve got a direct flight from Seattle, and you need a negative covid test to go out and about in Hawaii. Then another when you land. I’m so excited to vacation and not cook or do laundry for 10 days! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @yellingbanana ugh so jealous you are heading out to the best place on earth.  we were supposed to go back (Maui for the 3rd time) in September and had to cancel--wound up in Florida instead.  this year we have decided not to travel because i need to save my vaca days to use to get paid for the tail end of my maternity leave.  hope you have an amazing time!!!!
  • We found mice droppings in a kitchen cabinet on Sunday 😭😭😭 Bleach cleaned everything, sanitized every dish and utensil. We pulled out the fridge and stove and bleached underneath there too and then we set traps given to us by exterminators. Now we wait to catch the little f***er(s). 
    I called my OB just now to let her know of the exposure. It’s taking every ounce of my strength to not obsess over dangers of exposure to mice (and then to the chemical cleaners we used) on the baby. I wore a mask while cleaning and DH did most of the dirty work with the droppings. I have to believe this is a common thing and baby and I will be fine. But it’s just not what I want to be dealing with right now. Ugh. 
  • mimsermimser member
    edited January 2021
    @ccmrc143 oh how I sympathize with you! I actually SAW a mouse in the kitchen on Sunday.... by the time I called my fiancé she was gone either under the stove or dishwasher... my SO blocked a small hole where the electrical outlet for the stove and the entire space below the dishwasher with steel wool. Tonight he will pull out the dishwasher and assess the situation there and then the exterminator will come (back). We actually had him come in the fall to do preventative work as this is an old house, and turned out we had a little issue already. I saw one a few days after he had come and I (while screaming for my life) shoved that thing out of the house through the backyard door. My fiancé wasn't home but I was on the phone with him and he still laughs when he tells the story. The exterminator came back a few weeks later and said our issue had been cleared.

Anyway, I don't want to sound princessy but until then I didn't know these things happened in nice clean houses... 

Luckily our issue seems small floor based and very localized so I don't think I need to worry about exposure for myself, but I'll probably have the exterminator come back to do a check a few weeks before baby comes just because...

From my new learning of these issues, make sure any holes you see are blocked with something they can't chew through and shove some poison down those holes, plus those traps you got and 🤞it takes care of itself fast
  • @ccmrc143 let us know what your OB says! Sounds like you took care of everything safely though!
  • @ccmrc143 if it makes you feel better, I grew up on a farm and we always had mice somewhere in the house and never had any ill effects from it

• @ccmrc143 ah yes, mice. We had mice on and off for years. We live in a somewhat rural area where everyone has at least an acre yard and there are a lot of farms. We finally had our crawl space sealed off by professionals and we have a rodent service come once a month with outdoor traps. But this was after the peak.... when I was pregnant with DS, I kept smelling something stinky, and finally figured out that it was coming from our heating ducts below the house. Mice had crawled in there, made a home, and then died in there. And every time our heater kicked on it was blowing dead mice air into our house 🤢. That was when we had the crawl space sealed off, we had our air ducts completely redone with metal tubing. But it was a rough couple of months without a heater! It was fall in Seattle! So I did a LOT of baking to keep our house warm 😆. True story. 

These traps always worked well:

I would catch and then release the mice a few miles away in a wooded area. It was gross and fun at the same time. 

• @mimser oh my gosh I feel so much better knowing you’re dealing with this too! But, I am sorry you’re dealing with it. The number of meltdowns I’ve had since Sunday... I’m definitely acting like a princess as my first thought was: BUT WE ARE CLEAN! Our home is also old and there are structural areas where mice can get in. Where we found the droppings wasn’t even anywhere near food but it’s hard to tell yourself it’s not your fault when it feels like an icky sanitation issue. 

I’m so sorry you had to actually see a mouse though. Ugh. So gross! What I’m finding is that so many people have had this experience and we’re all just so grossed out that we don’t talk about it! 

In case you were worried, a nurse from my ob’s office called me back and said “YOU ARE FINE!” re: exposure to mice and droppings. She said it’s so coming and definitely not something they worry about for pregnancy in a medical sense. 

Today DH is going to get some materials to plug up holes in the kitchen. We’ll hopefully catch one soon and then clean some more and then put our pots and pans back. Right now our whole living space is stacked without kitchen supplies! 
  • @yellingbanana wow these guys can really cause some damage! Mice getting in vents is definitely a fear of ours too. I’m so sorry that happened to you! Sounds miserable :( But it must feel good to be on the other side of it, where now you’re in control and you have a process that works. Hopefully this incident will be our peak, but given the structural issues in this home (which we rent) I think we’ll be playing defense permanently since it’s unlikely our landlords will want to spend the money to totally reseal massive parts of the house. I guess it is what it is! It feels much less scary and gross to know that I’m not alone in this experience :) 
  • @ccmrc143 I know how you feel! The words " I'm not that kind of girl " came out as I was talking to my fiancé and he was telling me to kick the mouse out of the house 😅. And yes thank you for the reassurance as before your post I didn't know there might be a risk to all this. So I had my fiancé RE-clean everything when he got home haha.
  • Omg @mimser tell him I’m sorry I contributed to him doing extra work 😂😂 can’t be too clean though right?? Lol! But truly, I was spiraling with anxiety and that is way worse than the teeny tiny basically nonexistent risk of a risk associated with mice! 
  • @ec1212 I want to go so bad!! The only time we have is on the weekends and I'm always worried it will be busy. After the next ultrasound and we know it's a girl...I'm going so I can get some of the girly thing 🤣 I also really want to sit in a few gliders because DS's room was too small so we didn't have one, but I really want one this time!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • We get mice every winter and I haven’t figueues out how to keep them out. In the summer they’ve gone but every winter they find a way in and I freaking hate it. We put out traps on hope for the best. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @mrosek91 omg "faking being an adult"...I totally feel this in my soul 🤣! I constantly feel like that most days! Sometimes I think I need an adultier adult to help me out! I also have a husband, 2 dogs, 1.5 kids, a mortgage and a high level career so I'm glad I'm not alone!
  • One of my managers sent a nasty email to my boss this morning so I had to talk to her about how it was inappropriate and unacceptable. She completely blew up at me so it's really thrown me off today. She isn't normally like this and I know we are all under a lot of pressure right now but that's still no excuse to talk to your boss like that. Now I have a meeting with her and a few others in 9 minutes and I'm totally dreading it!
  • @spartan4life I'm sorry it sucks that you have to deal with that :/ 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @spartan4life that stinks! How did it go?
  • I'm so sorry for those dealing with mice.  

@spartan4life That's so odd. I wonder if she has something going on in her personal life. That's bizarre. 

I took my car to 4 different places today to figure out what was wrong with it and it turns out I need a new alternator and an adultier adult.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @mkc3888 and @gusgus14 thanks! The meeting went ok, she didn't really speak and just sounded annoyed the entire time so I will talk with her again on Friday to hopefully follow up and clear things up. 

@texas_t she does. She has a few things going on there and work has been super overwhelming recently so I get it...but I'm hoping she takes a step back and realizes how she acted is inappropriate regardless. I don't want to see herself burn any bridges just because she can't keep her cool under pressure.
  • too many people to tag here but def also a fake adult here.  DH is my adultier adult and somehow he defers to me for things like......why?
  • mimsermimser member
    edited January 2021
    So, my first language is French. In French we have a polite "you" that you would use for elderly people or when you speak about or to a person of high "ranking", authority figures. Like the "usted" in Spanish. I went to private school from pre-kindergarten and they always insisted we used that polite "you" for teachers and basically everybody older than you. So I sound like a child when I speak to everybody I don't know because I use that polite "you" all the time. And it's now come to a point where I probably use it often for people younger than me (deep down I'm convinced they must be older than me) 😅 so yeah, fake adult here too
  • @mimser I feel better using "usted" and I offend my friends sometimes. Its my fallback word when I'm not really sure what to say. 
    My husband is definitely the adultier adult, I feel sorry for him sometimes. And I'm supposed to be teaching the kids good habits. 😉
  • @mimser I only knew one word for you in French. However I only took French in grade school. My grandparents spoke French as a first language. Is vous the polite or standard you. I’m curious. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @mkc3888 yes "vous" is the polite "you"!
  • mkc3888mkc3888 member
    edited January 2021
    @mimser if it makes you feel any better it’s the only you I know and would use if needed lol. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @mimser I’m with you! I always end up using ‘sited’ when I’m not sure and I think I over use it. I still feel like I’m pretending to be an adult too. 

• I just added a tabletop minifridge to our registry so we can keep an overnight feeding station in our room and I'm really excited about it lol. I plan to try to nurse again but I have no interest in nursing both of them at the same time and I'm guessing we're going to want them to eat at the same time overnight to keep wake ups as short as possible. I figure we can make a few bottles of formula and keep them in there and have the bottle warmer in our room too so we're good to go without having to go downstairs in the middle of the night.
  • Anyone looking for a pack n play.. this one is 40% off today at buybuybaby! 

• yellingbananayellingbanana member
    edited January 2021
    @texas_t Oh the alternator. I’ve had mine go out on every single car I’ve owned, and even one that I borrowed 🤦🏻‍♀️. At least it’s not something worse?

Dd2’s elementary school has monthly supply pick up. You drive up, say hi to the teachers w/masks on, they put a bag of supplies in your trunk. I went to one yesterday.... except I went to the wrong one. It was a 3rd grade supply pick up, DD2 is in 4th grade this year. I either read it wrong or forgot what grade she’s in. Even though I was super embarrassed, we got to see her teacher from last year (who we are also distantly related to). So DD2 was super happy. And I was super embarrassed. That is pregnancy brain for you! 

• @yellingbanana totally something i would do--at least you have a good excuse!!
  • @brynn_mamaof4 ughh I hate this whole situation where we have to hope every sickness isn’t COVID!!! Most importantly, hopefully you feel better and test is negative, but also that you get the results back either way before the weekend!  That way if negative and you feel up to it you can at least still stick with your plans. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
  • @asf0613 yes right now we have tentatively moved back to Sunday in hopes I get my results back before then! If I get them Saturday morning and I’m negative then we will do it then! If positive then we will just push it back a couple weeks. I’ll still try to make tomorrow fun and special for her at home though! 
  • @brynn_mamaof4 holy crap! That’s scary! Wow, I really hope it comes back negative and it’s just a sinus infection. Sorry about your daughter’s birthday plans. But I’m sure she understands. 
    Good luck and keep us posted!