One & Done: Only child
Options

Want a dog...but don't.

I honestly don't know where to post this, but I am sure many of you feel the same way as I do...so here goes. I have an absolutely wonderful 8 year old son. I went through 3 miscarriages before him, and have now tried 6 rounds of infertility treatments that have not worked in order to have another child. I am so incredibly grateful for my son, he is all I could have ever wished for. He has tons of friends, is incredibly social and I just feel like I won the lottery with him. When he was a baby, things were pretty rough, my marriage wasn't easy, our finances weren't good, we moved a bunch of times, jobs were never secure. Welcome this pandemic and I thought, okay we are home now and things are pretty okay for us, my last IUI failed so let's get a dog so my son can have a companion. My husband never had pets, and I had a Jack Russell that I loved but she was always a handful. Anyways, we did a weekend "overnight trial" with a rescue dog and the dog was so sweet, but my husband literally went into shock and didn't move a muscle to help me. For three days I walked, feed, and took care of this dog. My son helped me a little but the tension between me and my husband was so intense that at the end of the trial, we took the dog back. My son hasn't stopped asking for a dog, and after lots of discussion my husband said he wanted a puppy so he could raise and train it. We found a puppy at a rescue and all seemed okay, except I literally had the most intense panic attack that lasted for days. I was so overwhelmed with the thought of a puppy, and that I would end up bearing all the responsibility. I almost feel like I want a dog because I know we won't have any more kids but I also don't want to be responsible for anything else. Life is finally calm and good, we have secure jobs, I have time for myself, why would I throw a wrench into that? Has anyone else had feelings like this? I feel like a crazy person. 
TTC since Jan '10 (Me 29, Hubby 30) Married just over 5 years from SoCal Diagnosed PCOS in May '10 and MTHFR Gene. 3 early m/c's in 2011. BFP Feb 8th '12 at 9DPO. Beta #1 (11DPO) = 28 Beta #2 (15DPO) = 140 Beta #3 (23DPO) = 2853! Due 10/22/12! Liam is here! Born 10/2/12 image

Re: Want a dog...but don't.

• Options
    Yes! It is my husband who keeps wanting a dog though. He always wanted one when he was a kid and we had one for a while before my daughter was born. I didn't enjoy having a pet: the dog hair, the barking, the care and obligation. When my daughter was born we had to give the dog up due to us having to move to a rental that didn't allow dogs. We will be buying a home soon and my husband is always saying that we could get a dog now but I still remember how much I hated it. 

Me-36
    DH -35
    Married in 2008
    Started TTC in 2011
    Began testing May 2014
    Test Results
    HSG- clear
    Hysteroscopy- clear
    SA- 11 mil count
    45% motility
    Diagnosis: MFI
    July 2014: Femera 5mg CD 4-8, Trigger, IUI = BFN
    August 2015: Femera 5mg CD 4-8, Trigger, IUI = BFN
    September 2015: Femera 5mg CD 4-8, Trigger, IUI = BFN
    May 2018 after long period of not trying, starting adoption process with family friend's newborn
    November 2018 Adoption complete!

• Options
    Right there with you. I want a dog, but don't think I could handle the responsibility. Or, rather, I just don't know if it would be worth it. Like, yes, the good things are good. But the bad things are really bad. I for sure would not want a puppy. I like old man dogs.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.