May 2021 Moms

GTKY 12/29

Share your easiest dinner that can be made ahead OR in under 15 minutes of prep time 

Re: GTKY 12/29

• Pan-seared chicken breasts - pound chicken breasts to ~0.75in uniform thickness, season as desired (include salt and pepper) and add to a nonstick skillet with some regular or flavored olive oil that's been preheated over high heat so you get that initial sear. Then cover and cook about 4-5 min per side or until cooked through. 

I like to do a flavored rice and/or easy veggies pack as sides. Or there are lots of easy, frozen pasta and grain packs that can be quickly microwaved too!

There is something about seared chicken that just tastes so good to me. It also reheats easily well in the microwave for leftovers. If you want a quick Italian flare, heat some pasta sauce in a small sauce pan and add some mozzarella or provolone cheese slices on top on the chicken breasts in the last 2-3 min of cooking (keeping chicken covered). 
  • "3 ingredient skillet" you brown ground turkey in a pan, add a cup of salsa (we use peach-mango, for a slightly sweeter version), and cook for another 5-10 minutes. And then poach eggs in the pan. We use 1lb of turkey, 1 cup of salsa, and 6-7 eggs. We never have leftovers.
  • Loading the player...
  • Alfredo Ham and mushrooms pizza

Makes 4

• 1 small red onion
    • 10 mushrooms 
    • 8 slices of smoked ham
    • 4 naan breads
    • 180 ml (3/4 cup) Alfredo sauce
    • 500 ml (2 cups) shredded mozzarella
    More often then not, I've used spelt pizza dough that I often have on hand

1. Preheat oven 205 ºC (400 ºF).
    2. Mince red onion, mushrooms and ham slices.
    3. Place on naan bread on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Spread Alfredo sauce over breads. Split the ham, red onion, mushrooms and mozzarella on breads.
    4. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted. 
  • Mississippi Pot Roast! 

1. Place roast in crockpot
    2. place a stick of butter on top, about 5-6 pepperoncinis, 1 packet of dry ranch and 1 packet of dry au jus over toast. 
    3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

Serve with some bob Evans mashed potatoes. 

Delish! 

You can also google “one pot Mexican quinoa” - it’s so good and healthy! 
  • One Pot Lasagna/Hamburger Helper - probably a little longer than 15 minutes considering pasta takes a while to cook and depending on how much you chop. 

1. Heat up a skillet or deep dish frying pan and heal a tbsp of oil. Add chopped onions and cook until caramelized, then add ground beef, pork, or turkey and cook until browned. (Can add your favourite spices or hamburger helper spices in this step) 
    2. Add your chosen vegetables (a can of mixed if you want or fresh) and chopped (or canned) tomatoes. Cook until the vegetable are cooked through. 
    3. Add a can of tomato sauce and 2-3 cups of water (add as necessary) and stir to combine. Allow water to come to a boil then add desired amount of pasta. (Lasagna noodles, elbow, penne, whatever you feel like). Cover, turn down the heat and let simmer until the noodles are cooked to your liking. 
    4. Remove from heat, add 1-2 cups of cheese and stir it in (or not), then serve. 

* Alternatively you can cook the additional vegetables from step 2 separately and serve them on the side. 
  • We always have tuna fish on hand so a go to meal on a night neither of us want to cook is tuna melts. 

One can of tuna
    Mayo to your liking
    Diced mayo to your liking
    2 splices of toast
    A slice of cheese 
    A dill pickle on the side (or sometimes we skip the bread and use the pickle as the vessel)
  • edited December 2020
    @Liz101015 That sounds fast. I just made a whole bunch of milk bread, bought two jugs of milk and then the fridge malfunctioned and had to use up 6L. 🤪 That sounds like a good recipe for using up bread. 
    Anyone have a good recipe for using up 2 or more cups of almost sour milk?  (Can't drink it, but can still cook with it) 
  • Sheet pan shrimp fajitas! https://www.number-2-pencil.com/one-sheet-pan-shrimp-fajitas/

Ingredients
    • 1 medium onion, sliced
    • 2 diff color bell peppers, sliced
    • Shrimp (about 6 pcs / person)
    • 4-6 small / medium tortillas (2 per person)
    Directions:
    1) Preheat oven to 450F
    2) While oven preheats you can slice veggies and thaw shrimp in cold water (if you always have frozen on hand, like me) 
    3) Toss all sliced veggies and shrimp lightly with olive or veggie oil and whatever seasonings you like (I have pre-made fajita seasoning but salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder would be great)
    4) Spread everything evenly onto a baking sheet (you can warm up tortillas now too but take out for step 6)
    5) Bake for 8 min. If not warming up tortillas in oven, warm them now on a skillet
    6) Turn on broiler (remove tortillas from baking sheet first) and broil for an additional 2-4 minutes, checking after 2 min to make sure shrimp isnt overcooking
    7) Serve veggies and tortillas with whatever fajita fixins' you like...ideas below

Add ons/subs
    • Add one more "hard" veggie like cauliflower - but don't add more than one veg, don't want to crowd the pan
    • Sub chicken, beans or other protein for shrimp and cut into small pieces (google to adjust cooking time)
    • Add cilantro, green onion, squeeze of lime
    • Add avocado
    • Add salsa
    • Add sour cream or a little shredded cheese
  • I just made this soup in my new instant pot quick cooker and it was so good! Less than 15 minutes of prepping everything and throwing it in the pot...super easy. I just made rolls and a salad to go along with it.

https://pin.it/cvqSBh9
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017