1st Trimester

Doubling then Low Rising hCG, 1st Trimester, and PCOS

Hi all! I’m new here. Hubbs and I have had 6 mcs in the last 11 years and stopped trying (I’m 38). So naturally, I’m pregnant, but my hCG levels aren’t super assuring. Does anyone have any experience with PCOS and low hCG levels doubling then slowly rising? I go in for my ultrasound on Wednesday. I’m 6 weeks. Here are my hCG results (I also went to 2 different labs- I realize that can affect the number.

12/05: 18
12/08: 74
12/15: 520
12/17: 830
12/21: 1018

Thanks for any info.

Re: Doubling then Low Rising hCG, 1st Trimester, and PCOS

• Did you were with a Reproductive Endocrinologist at any point during your MCs?  You should definitely talk with them.  

Is this your first time getting HCG betas?  I don't have PCOS, but I have had 5 early MCs and know the beta numbers hell.  Unfortunately, it looks like yours were doubling nicely in the beginning, but have thus slowed down.  They're nowhere near doubling in your last few draws. That last gap from 17-21 is especially concerning.  I know that there are a few people on here who have had slow rises and went on to have healthy living babies, but that is overwhelmingly not the standard.  They aren't doubling, and that's usually incredibly bad news.  Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait until Wednesday for your ultrasound to find out for certain. I'm sorry, and hopefully the slow rise is a fluke and your baby will be fine.
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF
  • Thank you, Capnjackharkness for your response and the info. We did another pull yesterday and my results from that pull were 1558. Still not doubled. The ultrasound showed nothing at all. No ectopic, no sac... nothing. I gave more blood to continue monitoring hCG and will go back in on the 30th. Thank you again! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @nichole_guy They found nothing at all?  That's super... weird.  With those numbers there should definitely be a sac implanted somewhere, especially if your numbers are still slowly rising.  Usually if the numbers slow down and reverse, then it could be common to not see a sac as you could've passed it already and it's just taking your body time to lose the hcg.
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF