May 2021 Moms

Questions w/o 12/20

What questions do you have this week? Sorry this is late again, we have been out of town and I completely forgot!

Me:29 DH:30
Married:10/2012
TTC #1: 12/2017

Re: Questions w/o 12/20

• What is everyone's thoughts on asking family members to get (or at least consider getting) the COVID vaccine before seeing the baby?

I mentioned to MIL that I'm hoping everyone will at least consider it if it's available to them and now she's completely freaking out.
  • @spartan4life I think its a great way to promote herd immunity. But like you said, it might be a suggestion to consider getting the vaccine. Since its so new some people aren't comfortable with it yet. It will be about knowing your friends and family and tactifully talking to those who are on the fence about it. And finding solutions if you have a family full of anti-vaxxers. 

It may be useful opening the discussion with, are you planning on getting the covid vaccine? No? Here are some great resources backed up with evidence/sound information to help you with your decision. (Yes?) We feel that it's important that those around our baby receive the vaccine, for our peace of mind. 

I don't think it will be an option for me because it will take a while for the vaccine to arrive here. 
  • Loading the player...
  • For those of you with restless leg syndrome or tingling in your legs, did any of you have a diagnosis of gestational diabetes? If so, how intense was the tingling/ loss of sensation before you were diagnosed? Those of you who use compression socks during pregnancy, how early did you start, and did it make a difference for tingling legs? 

I'm probably being paranoid, but I'm only 16w and wondering if it's normal to have these sensations so early or if it's a circulation problem, or something else. 
  • mkc3888mkc3888 member
    edited December 2020
    @spartan4life I plan on it. Especially for my in-laws who do things I’m uncomfortable with. I’m to a point of I don’t care if I hurt their feelings by telling them to get their vaccine. My grandmother works in a nursing home and wasn’t planning to get the vaccine, but she changed her mind after me and my mom talked to her about it. My mom plans to get it and her husband will get it too. I have some cousins that work in healthcare and refused it and say that there isn’t enough research on it. I just want to roll my eyes on that one. They act like there wasn’t any clinical trials. My husband will get his vaccine when offered. He doesn’t think his dad will care one way or another and will get it if we ask, but his mom will be more hesitant because she doesn’t like to go to the dr at all. We’ll see how that goes. Last time I asked everyone to get their flu shot and tdap before the baby was born because I was due in October. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @mkc3888 that's how my ILs are too. They don't like going to the doctor and my MIL thinks most things can be cured by oils and diet. I know his grandma is planning to get it but I'm not sure about his parents. I know my parents will do whatever we ask in order to see the baby and my mom would honestly probably do it without me asking. 

@littlelibelula my MIL actually was the one who kind of started the conversation. She sent us a link to an article that she obviously didn't read beyond the headline saying my husband shouldn't get the vaccine because of his history of allergies. He only has environmental allergies and animal allergies and the article clearly said those groups are still recommended to get the vaccine, only people who shouldn't are ones who have had anaphylaxis towards medications or past vaccines. So I told her that and then said everyone who plans to be around the baby should strongly consider getting vaccinated if it is available to them at that time. She then sent one back saying SIL had COVID so she doesn't need it (again, a false statement because cdc actually still recommends it) but she does have a history of reactions to medications so I'm actually less concerned about her getting the vaccine. She was like, so you're going to force us all to get it or not let us see the baby? No, that's not what I said, but I would like them to consider it since they aren't careful at all and I'm nervous with the baby. It will also depend a lot on where our numbers are at that point and who the vaccine is available to.
  • This vaccine conversation sounds like an interesting start to a thread about limits to visitors of new babies. I think that would be an interesting thread. STM how it went, ways to be tactful. 
  • @littlelibelula I put everything of the drs last time. The pediatrician says... and my first was a month early so I used that to my advantage. I was less worried about it last time. I just asked for everyone to wash their hands as they came in and not to come if they had any symptoms like sniffles or cough. Everyone was ok with it. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @spartan4life yes we’re definitely requiring the vaccine before anyone can see baby (or me when I’m post partum). I bet my answer would be different if we were due in Jan or Feb, but it seems really possible that by May our parents will be able to access the vaccine easily. My FIL already got the first dose! That said, my close friend is due in the next week or so, and I haven’t yet gotten a clear answer on their rules for visiting baby/helping them around their house. I think that since I’m pregnant too and truly only go to the doctor, they would let us come by with N95 masks, but I will completely respect their decision even if it’s no contact with baby just yet. The other nice thing about being due in May is that the weather will be nice for things like masked walks outside with friends and baby—I will be ok with unvaccinated people in that situation. 
  • @spartan4life I honestly hadn't thought about it yet, but I would have no issue asking people to get the vaccine first if they want to visit. I know my parents said they both plan on getting it as soon as its available to them, but idk how my MIL feels about it yet. Other than our parents, I'm not sure how soon we will have other visitors. If for some reason the vaccine isn't available to everyone yet by that time, I plan on requiring masks, frequent hand washing, etc and probably would be hesitant to even let too many people get close/hold the baby if I'm being honest!
  • @spartan4life not sure yet. Also, here, the vaccine won't be available to that many people by May so this wouldn't apply right away. I do have several friends in social or healthcare though who probably will be vaccinated. My mom is super careful and high risk so I'm  not worried about her, plus she probably will get the vaccine as soon as it's available for her. About the same for my ILs... aside from my FIL who is more at risk of catching it as he takes public transportation and works in a restaurant, so I hope he will get vaccinated. For the rest, I don't know. I have a few friends who gave birth last spring and summer, and nobody outside the family has held the babies yet and that's fine... so it might have to be like this for us too then. 
  • Is there anyone else who isn't really feeling movement yet? I could remember wrong, but I thought I was feeling my first by this point and a little worried I can't feel my second.

• @queen_frostine Im not. I have an anterior placenta so I don’t know when I’ll start feeling him. I’ll be 20 weeks tomorrow. 
  • @ec1212 Thanks! I think my placenta is posterior (if that's a thing) since no one has said otherwise. That must be frustrating to know it will take longer. I hope you feel him sooner than you expect! 

• @queen_frostine I’m not really either. I have a few random times but not like any of my other three pregnancies however my placenta is also anterior, and I’m trying to mentally tell myself it’ll probably be around 24 weeks or so. It also mentally messes with me! I have nightmares about it all the time. 
  • @queen_frostine I'm not feeling anything either, 19 weeks today, and baby #4. And not all OBs will tell patients where their placenta is. I had an anterior placenta with DS#3, and the only reason I knew was that I asked thanks to comments on this board. I've only had one ultrasound so far this time around, and I forgot to ask were my placenta is, so I have no idea if it's anterior again or not.
  • Me neither, but I'm only 16w4d. I didn't worry too much about it my first pregnancy, and not in this one either. I figure, when you feel it, you'll feel it. And by third trimester they will be kneeing you and rolling around, so I don't mind waiting. 

I would like to be able to use my stethoscope though, but I'm not sure how long I need to wait, I think at least 18 weeks. Any stethoscope experts here who have heard their babies heartbeat? 
  • @littlelibelula my midwife was able to hear it with a fetoscope a few weeks back, I would think that would be similar! Ive never been good at finding it myself with the fetoscope though. 
  • @queen_frostine I only felt my first more one time the entire pregnancy. And I wasn’t even sure that’s what it was. I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to worry too much. Side note my mfm looked at me like I was bananas when I told him I never felt her move at 35 weeks. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• @mkc3888 how did I not remember that? That boggles my mind. I mean, I know there are people who don't even know they are pregnant, but I figure since I felt my daughter I should feel this boy (obvs, it's still earlier than when I *really* felt her.)

• mkc3888mkc3888 member
    edited December 2020
    @queen_frostine i don’t think I mentioned it much last time. I just assumed it was normal because I’m overweight or something. However when my mfm told me if you notice any change in movements, go to the hospital. That kind of freaked me out, and he looked at me like I was crazy when I said I never felt movement. I thought I wouldn’t feel this one move since I didn’t last time, but I feel him move every now and then on most days. And I can say I never felt any of this with my first pregnancy. I only thought I felt movement once in my last pregnancy and it’s not like the movements I felt this time. Last time it was like a whoosh across my belly. This time it’s more like taps and flutters. But the way people talk about feeling movement in the third trimester, I never felt any of it. If I wasn’t sick my entire pregnancy I would have never known, because I never felt her move. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021