August 2021 Moms
Options

Anyone decide to have a homebirth?

Looking at all options and curious if you decided to go this route, why did you decide that?

Do you live close to hospital? Why home birth over birthing center?

Re: Anyone decide to have a homebirth?

• Options
    jaxaliajaxalia member
    edited December 2020
    I personally love the idea of a home birth, but we are going to do the hospital since it's our first and I'm not sure how it will go. If we have a smooth labor this time around, I will very likely lean towards a home birth with our second. There aren't any birthing centers in our area (or I might lean that way) and I feel like I would much prefer to be in my own space during the process. Who knows though, I might change my mind lol 

My only concern is in your own space you don't have a whole institution taking care of things like cleaning up, feeding you, etc - I could see it being annoying for myself or DH to have to deal with the impact on our space while also adjusting. There is a bit of attractiveness to the idea of bringing baby home to a clean/prepped house waiting for you. 

*edited for a typo
  • Options
    I love the idea, but I’m a high risk pregnancy and my labors are a bit crazy. I have gone med free with all three of them and would love that big birthing tub that many use at home. 
    My sister in law has done it at home with her last two. She had a midwife and two doulas who took care of all of the cleaning, birthing tub, etc. She loves the experience and said she was especially happy with all of the covid restrictions that she chose that route again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the idea, but we'll probably do hospital birth number 4.  My second and third were both born in a hospital with a specific natural birth unit.  It was like giving birth in a luxury hotel.  There were fancy folded towels and everything.  And a double bed so my husband didn't have to sleep on a gross hospital couch.  And it's not as frequently used (only 6 beds in the unit) so the moms who deliver there currently have the lowest chance of COVID exposure which will still be relevant in August, I'm sure.

With my first I had a really traumatic experience in labor.  My biggest advice, make sure you meet everyone who may be there to deliver your baby and make sure you feel confident to trust them no matter what.  Get a doula and if anything feels wrong with your medical care, advocate for yourself or find a new care team if needed.  I wish I had done this with my first.
  • Options
    Our midwives have hospital privileges so I would lean that route if I didn't like my Doctor so much. 

TW - loss/birth trauma
    When I was pregnant with my first a good friend of mine had a home birth.
    Baby was born but was unable to breathe. We lived 3 blocks from the hospital but it took 15 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. Unfortunately he passed away shortly after arriving to the hospital. 
    Being so close to her really turned me off of home births because you can do everything right and sometimes tragic things happen.
  • Options
    That is very sad. She also lives 3 blocks from the hospital? 
  • Options
    Wow that unit sounds amazing!
  • Options
    Do you mind elaborating about how your labors are crazy? Im a FTM
  • Options
    Did any of your family members have home births? Moms? Siblings?
  • Options
    I live about 8-10 min from the nearest hospital. I’ve had both of my babies at home and wouldn’t even consider anything else barring complications! I wasn’t sure about having my first at home because I didn’t know what I was getting into... but I decided if I wanted to have my 2nd at home I might as well do it with my 1st too. I was so happy I did! It was SO nice sleeping in my own bed and not being bothered or pressured into anything I didn’t want. I got to have the atmosphere I wanted like dark, music, candles, diffuser, private all in the comfort of my own bedroom. Best part was sleeping in my own bed! I was a little freaked out with my first but I had complete confidence in my midwife and that helped. She let me know she doesn’t take risks or think she can do everything like some midwives do. That along with being close to multiple hospitals and having a healthy pregnancy made me comfortable with it.  I’m obsessed with all things home birth so I’m happy to answer any specific questions anyone has! 
    @kiwimangohoneylemon  for my 1st birth DH, my Mom, Dad, closest sis, and a doula were there. 2nd was just DH, Mom, and a photographer. Dad watched DS downstairs and brought him up to visit now and then which was really neat! 

• Options
    Curious about your prenatal care and positioning baby before birth. Were you dry or was it a water birth? :-)